Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No start after fuel filter change 2009 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Mini-Rookie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after fuel filter change 2009 Clubman

I changed the fuel filter on my clubman (Non S Model) and now it won't start. I appear to be getting fuel at the schrader valve, but still no start. I was careful not to pull the lower section of the filter assembly out more than a couple inches. MY fuel gauge is still working and I dumped some fuel into the tank to make sure it would rise and it does so I am guessing I didn't screw any of the lower connections up. I read there is a wire connected there as well, would that cause a no start if it was disconnected? Any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 AM
Mini-Rookie
1st Gear
Update after getting some sleep and checking a few more things. This is a Non-S model.

I tested the fuel pump relay and it is working.
I have voltage to the fuel pump.
I applied 12V directly to the pump and it is working.
I disconnected the fuel line from the top of the filter and applied 12V to the pump and it is pushing fuel, it also pushes fuel when I crank the engine with the line disconnected.
Spraying some carb cleaner in the intake gets it to start, but as soon as it burns the carb cleaner off it dies.

I do not seem to have the pressure at the fuel line that I had when I originally disconnected it.
Checking the schrader valve on the fuel rail I get fuel, but it is not pressurized much at all.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Junk got past the fuel filter and is in the line ? Try to blow it back into the tank.

Did you follow this fuel filter DIY ? Just to rule out anything 11252754870

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-change-2.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Mini-Rookie
1st Gear
Sure did follow the DIY, the only reason I am second guessing the pump itself is I dont have a tester to test the pressure and it is pushing fuel albeit not near the pressure I would think it needs. Instead of spraying out of the test port on the fuel rail it comes out like an open faucet or hose. When I removed the fuel line from the filter housing the first time I could feel the pressure whereas each time after it did not spray out at all. It did push fuel through the filter when I put 12VDC to the pump or when I cranked the engine.
The filter and top of the filter housing seated correctly and I didnt have any issues with screwing on or tightening the locking ring. (If that info helps)

Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
So there could be a fuel pump issue triggered by the change, can you see if the inlet and outlet to the fuel pump itself is blocked , like the pickup screen ? Also check the connections at the pump electrical so they are tight. I guess you could have weak pump from touching it and something moved internally. Yea, you need to find out how many bars of fluid it moves then match it to your , on the fuel pump itself.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-09-2017, 12:40 PM
HZBJCW
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need closure!

What ever happened on this repair. I am about to do it. The youtube video (the guy with the yellow 2009 mini with sleepy headlights) made it look so easy and he made so many mistakes where dirt could have got in and it still worked just fine.

What happened here?

Old 01-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Boostedv6
Neutral
I have same issue. Verbatim

Was there any solution to this issue? I have the exact same problem.