Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Crazy noise, like nothing I’ve seen before

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM
DisposableHeroX
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy noise, like nothing I’ve seen before

For starters, I’d like to say that this board has been extremely helpful since I made the mistake of buying this god awful vehicle. This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst car I’ve ever owned. But I digress.

I recently replaced the dreaded high pressure fuel pump, water pump, ignition coils, thermostat housing (the new one came with a bad sensor, triggering the half engine light) and a few other typical parts. After all of this the car runs great for about a week. About the norm before something else breaks on this cursed vehicle. Then I start getting a weird high pitched squeak at idle. I did some digging and all signs pointed to the water pump being bad. A brand new water pump being bad would surprise me in any other car but not this one. So we ripped everything out of the way, put a stethoscope to the pump and no noise was coming from it. I ran out of daylight, put the wheel liner back in and drove it home.

Fast forward a couple days. The chirping / squeaking noise seems to go away if I only hold the brake at idle and leave the car in neutral without pushing the clutch in. So maybe it’s in the transition or clutch, right? But then it starts doing it again idling without the clutch in. There goes that theory. But it gets better.

Now when I start the car it makes a weird almost video game like Atari noise, whines on acceleration in the same key, and seems to have issues gaining speed. It feels like I have no back pressure and this thing is making crazy noises at me. I’m at a serious loss. This car does more weird crap than anything I’ve ever owned and I swear I can’t go more than a week or two without a major repair. I’m going to attach a video if I can figure out how. If you have any ideas please let me know because I don’t.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:08 PM
DisposableHeroX
Neutral
Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Almost sounds like something rubbing the floor, or something under the car, transmitting vibration to the chassis and cabin. Maybe an exhaust hanger broke, or you have a bad engine or trans mount that is sagging and allowing some contact somewhere? Those are my ideas.....

Old 12-18-2017, 11:04 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
S or Justa? How many miles?

Have you checked the serpentine belt and water pump drive wheel. First thing I'd do is go back and double check all the stuff that was replaced or otherwise messed with.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM
csq33r
2nd Gear
I hear ya, I just got mine running and did a carbon cleaning and I'm gonna rest up for a week and tackle the next problem...looks like the thermostat housing is starting to leak.

Are you sure it's not coming through the speakers? Some sort of electrical interference? Alternators can make weird whining noises when a diode goes bad.