Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

One man bleeding machine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One man bleeding machine!

hey guys,

quick back story, replaced clutch last week. Replaced everything clutch related (by reputable shop) except the master cylinder as there was an issue with shipping and didn't arrive on time. Fast forward to this week and new clutch still slipping and I suspect master may be at fault, even if not I have to rule it out. So I will be replacing tonight myself and bleeding. I've seen the expensive motive bleeders and I'm not going to invest in that, but I do have a Mityvac.
My question is, using the Mityvac, should I force fluid up through the system to the reservoir using pressure OR should I pull the fluid down to the slave with suction? Slave was already compressed and bled correctly prior to the master replacement so I am trying to avoid removing that and compressing again.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
I would go from the master down to the clutch cylinder. Like i do with my brakes. Thats the way I like to do it.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I would go from the master down to the clutch cylinder. Like i do with my brakes. Thats the way I like to do it.
Cool, so I'll attach the Mity to my clutch slave bleeder, get a little vacuum going and open the bleeder, watch for fluid/air, close bleeder and check reservoir and refill when necessary. Obviously continue until no air comes out. Sound correct?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, I just feel better pushing the air out from top to bottom.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-04-2017, 12:40 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, I just feel better pushing the air out from top to bottom.
Great, thanks for the advice! If it doesn't work, when will you be here to help? lol

Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
LOL, when we get a part number on the site to order and then ship me.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Just wanted to update my experience here and further back my JMTC Stage 3 clutch, so far. Had the master cylinder replaced 2 days ago, bled and driven for about 100 stop and go miles (on top of the 700 I had before the master was changed). I can happily report that the clutch is now holding 100%, even in MapB on stage 2. I'm not thrashing it as Arric from JMTC told me I should really put close to 2000 miles on it before I can really thrash but it does now hold full throttle blasts in any gear. I can feel it grabbing more each time I take off from a stop so I can only imagine the grip will continue to grow through the next 1000 miles. I will stress just as JMTC does about changing the master when you change the clutch. Before the swap, I was blowing through any gear even in MapA and after swap with only 100 additional miles its holding more than enough for my current needs.