Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tire-related issue or transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 AM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire-related issue or transmission?

For months I have been trying to find a solution for a helicopter-like noise when accelerating in my 2006 Cooper base automatic with 35k. I bought the car last year with 29k and have only gone about 5k.

The noise is only when in drive and accelerating. It disappears when in reverse, neutral, and idle.

In June, I drove my Cooper going 25mph when I hit a bad pothole. This seemed fine at the time, but when I arrived home the helicopter noise suddenly appeared. Ever since then I have not gone more 500 miles and have just been searching for an answer.

We were told it was the transmission. We had the 30k transmission service done recently, and have brought it to be checked all over, but really have not driven the car since. I just really can't afford to keep bringing it places with no answers, so at this point I'm just looking for a miracle.

As for if it is a tire-related issue, the noise only occurs when accelerating and seems loudest at 10mph - 15mph. But, the noise does stay, as it can be heard at 50mph and below. Also, the brakes produce a lot of brake dust and the tires have not been rotated in the past 5k.

And in my research, some have said they had a helicopter noise that was related to tires/wheel bearings/alignment.

At this point I am just trying to stay optimistic, because the only other option is to replace the transmission, which will cost the same amount as I paid for the car. Since it only has 35k miles I am trying to do everything to keep it. Any ideas?

Heres a video of the sound:

Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
if you hit a pot hole, thinking either a bent rim or a broken tire belt/chord. Have you taken the car to any tire shops?

My ears are not the best, sorry.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
if you hit a pot hole, thinking either a bent rim or a broken tire belt/chord. Have you taken the car to any tire shops?

My ears are not the best, sorry.
I brought it to 3 places, and there wasn't a thought to check the tires. I figured it was engine related and didn't think to check the tires after all this time. One person said transmission and since then I haven't driven it.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:40 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
Have you taken the car to any tire shops?
With hitting potholes, it could be as simple as the wheel weights jarred loose - to the point of falling off. That would cause the noise you're describing - especially louder and softer in different speed ranges; consistent with a tire/wheel combo that's out of balance, in your instance, due to the potential absence of wheel weights.

As suggested, get your MINI to a reputable tire shop, as they can re-balance your tires as part of checking this out.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
With hitting potholes, it could be as simple as the wheel weights jarred loose - to the point of falling off. That would cause the noise you're describing - especially louder and softer in different speed ranges; consistent with a tire/wheel combo that's out of balance, in your instance, due to the potential absence of wheel weights.

As suggested, get your MINI to a reputable tire shop, as they can re-balance your tires as part of checking this out.
Thank you for the reply!! I'm definitely hopeful that this is the problem and I'll take it to a tire shop next week! I'll let you guys know what happens!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Wheel bearing will make a warbling/cyclical growling sound. Easiest to check by lifting the side of the car in question off the ground and shaking the top of the wheel around. It should rotate smoothly with no noises, and the wheel should not jiggle at all on its mounting plane.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:58 PM
coopermike29
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Plus 1^

I believe its tire related

Old 12-01-2017, 01:15 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayna53
Thank you for the reply!! I'm definitely hopeful that this is the problem and I'll take it to a tire shop next week! I'll let you guys know what happens!
From what you wrote, you are not exactly the home mechanic type. I would agree you best bet right now is to take it to a trustworthy tire place, or wheel alignment place. The last place you want to go is auto garages. It is next to no chance your problem is the auto transmission. My best guess based on so little you provided are:
  1. bent rim from the pothole you hit
  2. worn out drive shaft(s)
  3. damaged tire from the pothole you hit
  4. wheel bearing

Of all these, drive shaft(s) can be more challenging to determine as a lot of mechanics are morons.

The following users liked this post:
Rayna53 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
From what you wrote, you are not exactly the home mechanic type. I would agree you best bet right now is to take it to a trustworthy tire place, or wheel alignment place. The last place you want to go is auto garages. It is next to no chance your problem is the auto transmission. My best guess based on so little you provided are:
  1. bent rim from the pothole you hit
  2. worn out drive shaft(s)
  3. damaged tire from the pothole you hit
  4. wheel bearing

Of all these, drive shaft(s) can be more challenging to determine as a lot of mechanics are morons.
You're right about the home mechanic, I'm just a college student ha. And about a reliable tire shop, do you mean a place like Pep-Boys or Firestone? I'm willing to go anywhere to fix my car.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:03 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
...about a reliable tire shop, do you mean a place like Pep-Boys or Firestone?
I'd start with a place that just does tires, and have them re-balance all four tires. They'll get a good look at your wheels at that time and will be able to tell you if there's wheel or tire damage. If the wheels are good and all they do is a re-balance, take it for a ride and see if your problem has been resolved. If not, the next step would be to bring it to an alignment shop and have them take a look at it...

The following users liked this post:
Rayna53 (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
I'd start with a place that just does tires, and have them re-balance all four tires. They'll get a good look at your wheels at that time and will be able to tell you if there's wheel or tire damage. If the wheels are good and all they do is a re-balance, take it for a ride and see if your problem has been resolved. If not, the next step would be to bring it to an alignment shop and have them take a look at it...
Thank you! I'm going to try everything, I really miss driving my Cooper!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:56 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Sounds like tire, bearing or axle. If this happened when you hit a pothole, I doubt very seriously it's the transmission.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Try and steer left and right and see if the noise changes. If so even more likely it’s tire or bearing related.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Here's another video that I took yesterday. This is with the windows open, although the noise can still be heard just as loudly with the windows closed. I'm going to go to a tire shop this week, haven't had a chance yet, sadly.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Bubble on tire or broken cord in the tire is my guess. Also the side of the wheel could be bent.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
I'm going to go to a tire shop this week, haven't had a chance yet, sadly.
The new video does highlight the sound better than with the first. Sounds like more than 'just' a tire issue. Could be a wheel bearing, could be your brake pads worn to nothing and rubbing on the rotors.

Since most alignment shops are setup to mount and balance tires, I'd skip the dedicated tire shop altogether and suggest you bring the car straight to an alignment shop. A tech will drive the car, hear the noise, pop it up on a lift and know straight off what to look for, provided it's a tire/bearing/suspension issue...

Let us know what happens.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Can the OP clarify if this "auto" is CVT, or traditional automatic transmission. I am not familiar with CVT but know it has the infinite ratio driving belt system that I wondered as a child why not used on cars.

I would not rule out it's the tranny if CVT.

In the last video, the noise is so loud and mechanical so does not seem like tire or wheel, especially as low speed. Being so pronounce any mechanic with a pulse should be able to narrow down where it comes from.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Can the OP clarify if this "auto" is CVT, or traditional automatic transmission. I am not familiar with CVT but know it has the infinite ratio driving belt system that I wondered as a child why not used on cars.

I would not rule out it's the tranny if CVT.

In the last video, the noise is so loud and mechanical so does not seem like tire or wheel, especially as low speed. Being so pronounce any mechanic with a pulse should be able to narrow down where it comes from.
it is a CVT. When the noise first appeared, the people I took it to said it was the transmission and that’s why I haven’t done any work on it since then because of the price to repair it. Recently, I was just hoping it was something else, especially because no one checked the tires after the pothole.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
if a tire is that out of balance shouldn't the steering wheel vibrate at least a little bit with the noise? I have thrown a few poorly tacked on (double sided tape) wheel weights and the steering wheel and car shook in unison. Do not recall a sound accompanying the shake.

So I guess, does the steering wheel shake/vibrate in unison with the noise?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Rayna53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
if a tire is that out of balance shouldn't the steering wheel vibrate at least a little bit with the noise? I have thrown a few poorly tacked on (double sided tape) wheel weights and the steering wheel and car shook in unison. Do not recall a sound accompanying the shake.

So I guess, does the steering wheel shake/vibrate in unison with the noise?
No, no shaking or vibration. The car drives like it usually does, all except for the noise.