Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 oil leak - already think I’ve hit most of the usual suspects

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Andrew R
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 oil leak - already think I’ve hit most of the usual suspects

2008, R56 Turbo, 70K miles.
Oil is leaking from somewhere high on the back of the engine block. So far, have changed
valve cover gasket, crankshaft seal, breather tube from valve cover to intake manifold and
throttle body rubber intake pipe. After 5mins of idle,line of oil appears on passenger side (left side of engine if looking at engine) close to engine mount, rear of block. Hard to see where it’s coming from but pretty sure it’s above the oil pan gasket but below the valve cover. I removed the intake manifold to see more, generally oil smeared around block, below the head gasket line. Any suggestions on what might be leaking? I’m planning to clean really well, reassemble and repeat to see if I can see the source but any suggestions in advance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Old 11-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Andrew R
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Gen2 area, you have a different motor then the Gen1s

Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
One thing to have a check of is the timing chain tensioner and it's seal ring. This is around the back on the left side. It can leak 1) by means of slackening off or 2) crushed seal. Probably ahve to take the intake off again to see it. Google for pictures/location and torque setting.