Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Wheel speed sensors - OEM vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheel speed sensors - OEM vs aftermarket

Folks,

I've got the trifecta of lights going on, and I'm looking at replacing a wheel speed sensor. I see that the OEM part is as much as $150 where the aftermarket part is as little as $30. Is there a difference in quality? Has anyone had issues with the aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
Duane

Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Duaneo
Folks,

I've got the trifecta of lights going on, and I'm looking at replacing a wheel speed sensor. I see that the OEM part is as much as $150 where the aftermarket part is as little as $30. Is there a difference in quality? Has anyone had issues with the aftermarket parts?

Thanks,
Duane
There is a very recent thread that the owner bought a cheap sensor, only to have problem. He ended up having to buy an OEM one and the problem was resolved.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM
RUPNOK
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That was me. Do a search on ebay for a siemens/vdo sensor for $60. It will work.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I have use the oem ones and the vdo, they are the same. But with these sensors no matter what they are you have to watch installing them as the heads tend to crack if too much force is placed on install. You have to clean out the hole really good on the old mount location and also watch those wheel bearings.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-sensor.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm gonna differ here. Those sensors are total crap anyway, these cars drive best with traction off. Mount it correctly, cover it with the fender liner, and all will be well. If it's really that hard to replace, buy the fancypants sensor next time. Worst case you have to remove the fender plastic again.

There's one on rockauto for like $10. Buy 10 (if you want) of those and replace them every few months, and it'll still be cheaper than one OEM one, lol. It's a piece of cake to replace, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes after you get the hang of pulling those little trim clips. Totally not worth going OEM.

ECS is totally right on the install, though. Just don't use an electric impact on plastic and you'll be golden

Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by sarom058

ECS is totally right on the install, though. Just don't use an electric impact on plastic and you'll be golden

Tell me about it I learned that hard way and cracked one forcing it in and did not know till I had it back all together and wondered with the trifecta lights were on.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by sarom058
I'm gonna differ here. Those sensors are total crap anyway, these cars drive best with traction off. Mount it correctly, cover it with the fender liner, and all will be well. If it's really that hard to replace, buy the fancypants sensor next time. Worst case you have to remove the fender plastic again.

There's one on rockauto for like $10. Buy 10 (if you want) of those and replace them every few months, and it'll still be cheaper than one OEM one, lol. It's a piece of cake to replace, shouldn't take more than 10 minutes after you get the hang of pulling those little trim clips. Totally not worth going OEM.

While there were reports that the lessor brand sensor didn't work but the OEM ones does. I suspect the cheaper ones were damaged during install, or due to defective tone ring. These sensors are quite simple so paying genuine MINI part price is flushing $ down the drain.

However I would not want a malfunction sensor as it is used by ABS as well as flat tire warning sensing. I was wise to not order the DSC, so I only have AST. I cannot tell you how many times AST tried to kill me.

Now in my standard preflight check list the first item to be tick off is - is AST off?

ABS is a totally different matter. It let me drive with more measured recklessness.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:21 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Tell me about it I learned that hard way and cracked one forcing it in and did not know till I had it back all together and wondered with the trifecta lights were on.
Same, lol! Well, not with the speed sensors. But with my heat exchanger bolts...Way ended up adding used bolts to his site because of me...you're welcome.

I think it has to do with the fact that we all learned from ModMINI, and he's a pro with the impact. So when we watch his videos and see him install a bolt with an impact, we do the same. But it's hard to notice the little nuances, like how much lateral pressure he applies to the bolt using the impact/how he backs off on the trigger towards the end, etc. So we end up doing stupid stuff, like breaking the terminals off of our battery cables, or stripping little torx bolts, or cracking our cam position sensors

Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I was wise to not order the DSC, so I only have AST. I cannot tell you how many times AST tried to kill me.

Now in my standard preflight check list the first item to be tick off is - is AST off?

ABS is a totally different matter. It let me drive with more measured recklessness.
Yes!! While ABS is definitely a nice modern feature, it's not intrusive. And it doesn't affect the driver's inputs at all, it simply pulses brake pressure to prevent wheel lockup. It's actually rather nice, because it intuitively teaches the limit of braking pressure before lockup.

What's the difference between AST & DSC, though? I just know that having it on prevents throttle saves in hairy corners because it cuts power completely when cornering any faster than "granny-speed". (sketchy) I just always make sure the happy little yellow circle is always illuminated when driving spiritedly.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM
pnwR53S
For this reason, I seldom pull out my pneumatic impact wrench or air ratchet wrench. I prefer to take my time and not kill expensive parts. Even if the part is cheap, waiting for the transit time is just not worth the time saved.

AST is the crap overreaching engine power management that cut power when a front tire starts to slip. DSC has AST plus computer-aid stability control. From what I read it is not that great give the era of circa 2000 design. Today some stability control systems are very very good, especially for high power cars like Porsche even for good drivers on tracks.

For me AST may be marginally useful if you has no LSD, and try to start on an icy slope.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:05 PM
Jblazzze5842
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duaneo
Folks,

Thanks,
Duane
I had 2010 Prius and had to replace the rear speed sensor. After seeing the price at all the local shops(autozone, advanced auto parts, napa etc.) being damn near around 300$ I decided to look elsewhere. I ended up finding one on ebay for 15$ took my chances purchased and installed it. I never had a single issue with the 15$ sensor I got off ebay and highly recommend giving it a chance vs the alternative.