Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

How to shut off passenger seat light

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to shut off passenger seat light

I recently removed my passenger seat and as a result the system detects a seat malfunction. How do I stop the vehicle from recognizing the issue so my tach isn't displaying the warning? Goes without saying but I want this done without reinstalling the seat.

Thank you for your help.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
I suspect it is because the system detects that the passenger seat occupancy sensor is faulty. As far as I know, you can't switch it off without an occupancy sensor....there isn't even a resistor that will work in 2Gen cars. Also, I believe it has to be an occupancy sensor that is coded to the car, as was the original. Once you re-install the occupancy sensor (whether it is in the seat or not), you will continue to have the warning light until it is cleared. I have a Schwaben tool that I've used to clear it when I re-installed the seat with the original occupancy sensor.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/

Old 11-14-2017, 01:25 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Good to know, thank you for the useful information. That was an oversight on my behalf but it is what it is. I was hoping it was as simple as pulling a fuse but alas, complexity is a friend and foe.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by tylewis
Goes without saying but I want this done without reinstalling the seat.
Do you mean that you want to run without a passenger seat, or the seat is already reinstalled and you just want to reset the warning?

The warning is triggered if the seat isn't plugged in and you turn on the car. Once the warning is triggered, it won't reset by itself and you need to do it with a reset tool (as bugeye mentioned), or you can take it to a dealer or repair shop (they will have a reset tool).

If you want to run the car without a passenger seat, you can program the car to disable the warning (search for NCS Expert software on this forum), or you can remove the sensor pad from the seat and connect it.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Interesting, very good to know. I am running the vehicle without a passenger seat. Really the only thing I want is to have the notification from the tach gone as it removes my speed display and temp. etc.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:09 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
People who install aftermarket racing seats have had the same issue. Your options are limited. Either make the car think a seat is installed, or disable the warning in software. Some have removed the sensor mat from the original seat, and leave it loose underneath their aftermarket seat (connected). The connection is digital and a simple resistor doesn't work to fool the car.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Some have removed the sensor mat from the original seat, and leave it loose underneath their aftermarket seat (connected).
+1

I'm not sure about if it possible disable the warning through coding.
You can disable the warning for the passenger seat belt but it seems this is a malfunction warning, not about the seat belt itself

Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by miniuy
I'm not sure about if it possible disable the warning through coding.
You can disable the warning for the passenger seat belt but it seems this is a malfunction warning, not about the seat belt itself
Not the seat belt, but for the OC3 weight sensor that is only in US cars.

This is the thread for Gen 1: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-no-more.html. Not sure is there is a separate thread for Gen 2.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:09 PM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scan tool

Originally Posted by bugeye1031
I suspect it is because the system detects that the passenger seat occupancy sensor is faulty. As far as I know, you can't switch it off without an occupancy sensor....there isn't even a resistor that will work in 2Gen cars. Also, I believe it has to be an occupancy sensor that is coded to the car, as was the original. Once you re-install the occupancy sensor (whether it is in the seat or not), you will continue to have the warning light until it is cleared. I have a Schwaben tool that I've used to clear it when I re-installed the seat with the original occupancy sensor.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...020sch01a~scf/
So this scan tool will clear the pass seat air bag light? that is reading has been on my center dash forever....Would be nice to see the mph digitally in front of me instead of the dreaded air bag light...Will this clear that light air bag light?

Old 11-26-2017, 12:18 PM
bugeye1031
Originally Posted by coachvminis
So this scan tool will clear the pass seat air bag light? that is reading has been on my center dash forever....Would be nice to see the mph digitally in front of me instead of the dreaded air bag light...Will this clear that light air bag light?
The tool worked in my case, which was -
I had the passenger seat out of the car,
I put the key in the ignition and started the car (even though I knew that I shouldn't have),
I re-installed the seat, started the car, and the airbag light stayed on.

I used the Schwaben scan tool and it cleared the light. I'm pretty sure that if the seat and occupancy sensor had not been re-installed that the tool would NOT have cleared the airbag light.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (11-27-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 12:23 PM
coachvminis
4th Gear
so your saying I should unplug the connection start car let run for say 5min turn car off plug back in..and use the can tool and that should clear the light yes....or ? your not sure... I mean if it does I will buy asap....

Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM
bugeye1031
Originally Posted by coachvminis
so your saying I should unplug the connection start car let run for say 5min turn car off plug back in..and use the can tool and that should clear the light yes....or ? your not sure... I mean if it does I will buy asap....
No, sorry I wasn't clear. I can't say for sure that your car has the same problem that I had. It's quite possible that your occupancy sensor has failed....or the wiring has an issue. My only problem was that I started the car while the seat was out. From what I can tell, the problem that you're dealing with hasn't been diagnosed. If that is true, I'm not experienced enough to tell you if the Schwaben tool can diagnose your problem and/or turn off the light.

I recommend that you do not buy the scan tool....consider taking your car to an independent shop so they can diagnose it. The cost should be much lower than a dealer....

Old 11-26-2017, 12:36 PM
coachvminis
4th Gear
ok...thanks. Appreciate your honesty and experience.....awesome...thanks will do...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:45 PM
bugeye1031
Good luck with it....some time in the next couple of months, I'm going to take my occupancy sensor out of my original equipment seat and install it in an F56 seat that I'm putting in the car. When I have that experience I hope to be able to talk about how difficult it is to work with occupancy sensors....I've been told it isn't difficult....just need to find the time to do it.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
some time in the next couple of months, I'm going to take my occupancy sensor out of my original equipment seat and install it in an F56 seat that I'm putting in the car.
The F56 passenger seat will have its own sensor. There's a chance that you'll get lucky and the sensor might be compatible and just plug in.