Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Odds of my ball joints needing replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM
COSilverMini
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Odds of my ball joints needing replacing?

R53 57,000 miles, control arm bushings are shot so I am planning on dropping the subframe to replace them with new ones and while I am in there replace the lower engine mount that is cracking and the sway bar bushings on top of the control arm bushing mounts.

I am figuring my inner ball joints are ok, is that a fair assumption for the miles? Outer is easy enough to replace later if needed.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:09 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
It's hard to say if they will be ok. But they will be a lot easier to do while you have the subframe down. That is why most people do them as to not have to do the labor all over again.
Also a good time for the powerflex steering rack bushing since it will be easier too.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Get under there and take a look! They need replacing if they're cracked and leaking grease.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:07 PM
COSilverMini
1st Gear
No cracks, no leaking grease. Only movement seen was then control arm bushings that are done.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
There's your answer! (don't fix what ain't broke)

But Way's right, the inner ball joints, steering rack bushings, powersteering lines, etc are a breeze to replace with the subframe down.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:40 PM
COSilverMini
1st Gear
What is the average mileage one gets out of ball joints?

I agree with not fixing what isn't broke and Way's comments as well. Dropping the subframe doesn't look horrible, just some bolts/nuts to replace. I'd prefer to do it less than more.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Oh jeez, I'm not sure in that case. They go until they break, and they usually bring with them lateral slop and pinging over bumps. I guess if you're trying to go super-safe, you could replace the inners preventatively whenever the subframe comes down, and leave the outers up to a semi-annual inspection, as they're relatively easy to replace if you have a ball joint separator.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:18 AM
GordoR53-702
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ball joint brand would you guys recommend? I found this website (pelican parts) and I’m planning on ordering some inner and outer ball joints. The brands I have are Delphi and Febi Bilstein any of you guys running those brands and have any reviews on them ?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What year is your R53? If they aren't damaged and don't need replacing, but you're going to be in there anyways, you might as well replace them as a preventative measure. I recommend Lemforder as they're the OEM supplier: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg5.htm#item20. If you ever have parts questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me and ask. I am here to help.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
If you are going to have the subframe out....just replace them. I pulled my subframe and put in new LCA bushings at around 80,000 miles. I didn't replace the ball joints......well, because they weren't making any noise and looked fine.

Well.....at 85,000 miles....they start making noise, so I had to drop the subframe AGAIN and replace the ball joints.

Just replace them now....or you could be kicking yourself later like I did

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 11-13-2017 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sarom058 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 AM
suspencer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
If you are going to have the subframe our....just replace them. I pulled my subframe and put in new LCA bushings at around 80,000 miles. I didn't replace the ball joints......well, because they weren't making any noise and looked fine.

Well.....at 85,000 miles....they start making noise, so I had to drop the subframe AGAIN and replace the ball joints.

Just replace them now....or you could be kicking yourself later like I did
I second that! I recently did mine while putting in poly LCA bushings. As most seem to be, my ball joints were a pain to get out without air/impact tools. But what did the trick is a pickle fork on the inners and a cold chisel set + 4lb. hammer for the outers. Best of luck to you!

Old 11-13-2017, 02:27 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by suspencer
I second that! I recently did mine while putting in poly LCA bushings. As most seem to be, my ball joints were a pain to get out without air/impact tools. But what did the trick is a pickle fork on the inners and a cold chisel set + 4lb. hammer for the outers. Best of luck to you!
Did you lower your sub-frame?

Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 AM
suspencer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Did you lower your sub-frame?
Yep!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I recommend Lemforder as they're the OEM supplier: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg5.htm#item20. If you ever have parts questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me and ask. I am here to help.
+1. Lemfoerder making great bushings/ball joints!

Also, I guess I should rescind my previous statement. Trust these guys. Dropping subframe just for inner ball joints would suck. I didn't think about that.

When you do the job, make sure you pick up
one of these one of these
, though! They will make the job a breeze! Plus it's so much fun to explosively *POP* the ball joints out with this method. And later on, if you ever have to remove them, you can reuse them if they were removed with the seperator!!

Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Duaneo
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I second the ball joint separator. I would also suggest that if you're doing those trailing arm bushings, it's worth getting the tool for pushing them out. I got mine for about $100 from the UK, and I plan to sell it soon on ebay to recoup some of the cost.