Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Proud new MINI R53 S owner - Couple of questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 06:43 PM
fastsoup
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new MINI R53 S owner - Couple of questions :)

Hello all!

​Long time BMW enthusiasts here. Currently own a F25 X3 M sport and my beloved E46 M3 Vert. Had the privilege of adding this beauty to the garage:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95eum1qxxu...0x900.jpg?dl=0

Absolutely love the character of this car. Very much inline with its sister company with a little more attitude and spunk. Just did a bunch of maintenance on it today and have just a couple of concerns that I'm hoping you enthusiasts can shine some light on.

1) - There is this awful sound every time I turn the key to ignition 2. I find I can easily duplicate the sound while driving by turning on the recirculation and turning it off. Obviously a flap of some sort but can anyone tell me exactly what it is?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4knq6d93f1...42706.mp4?dl=0

2) Reaching speeds of 70kph and onwards, there is a whoosh type noise coming in from what seems to be right below the windshield and above the dash. At first I thought it was wind noise coming through the windshield but now I'm doubting that and hoping someone can shed some light on this direction:

​​​​​https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6muos1qfu...45440.mp4?dl=0

Thanks to all who chime in and help. Looking forward to the ownership of this cool little car.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 PM
fastsoup
Neutral
Update

Ok so the groan noise I've traced back to the flap in the passenger foot well area inside the cabin air filter housing. This flap opens and closes when the recirculation button is pressed. I've sprayed some white lithium grease to see if it will quiet down.

The woosh/air noise is still present. It's definitely not an air leak from the windshield or any of the front windows. It's not from the wiper blades or the sunroof trim panel (I've been busy searching and reading) It almost sounds like a "clogged" part of the HVAC that gets pressure from the front end when picking up speed and starts to whoosh into the cabin. If I crack the sunroof and vent the cabin, the noise suppresses. If nobody has the slightest clue what this is, I may have to bite the bullet and pay the diagnostic fee at the dealer to find this because it is unbearable on the hwy.

Is there other MINI forums that are big which I should maybe post this topic and see if others can help?

Thanks,

F

Old 10-17-2017, 06:45 PM
fastsoup
Neutral
Bump

Bump..nobody can help or chime in?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Have you taken the cabin filter out?

I am thinking there is a thread here someplace about somebody finding something amiss in the duct leading from the hood to the filter.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:23 PM
fastsoup
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
Have you taken the cabin filter out?

I am thinking there is a thread here someplace about somebody finding something amiss in the duct leading from the hood to the filter.

Yes, removed the cabin air filter, left it out and drove around and the noise was still present. I find that when the recirculation is on, the noise is louder than when I have it set to intake. Something in the HVAC is not right.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:25 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know squat about HVAC ducting - never had to deal with it. I am, however, interested in the outcome. Subscribed for future updates. Good luck, man.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:12 PM
fastsoup
Neutral
Originally Posted by CSP
Unfortunately I don't know squat about HVAC ducting - never had to deal with it. I am, however, interested in the outcome. Subscribed for future updates. Good luck, man.
Are you having the same issue? I've been monitoring it the last few days and what I have found is that around 80kph, the sound begins and it sounds exactly like I have turned the HVAC on to fan speed 1...it sounds exactly like that, except the fan is off. I will be taking it in shortly but it's been raining a lot lately and tough to diagnose with all the road noise.