Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Throwout Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Vishera
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throwout Bearing?

So I picked up an 05 cooper mini S with 100k miles. I realized there are quite a few things I'll need replaced and re-worked etc.

When I got the car it wasn't making any weird noises and ran perfectly for its age. A few weeks after that I started noticing a squeaking sound when in neutral, and when I'd push in the clutch it stops. The previous owner said he had the clutch replaced and the slave cylinder etc. I'm thinking if he did, maybe they forgot the throwout bearing?

What's the average cost to have this replaced? Anything I should be worried about if I continue to drive until I can save up and get it fixed?

Old 12-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Have to drop the the transmission, a time consuming task. I am thinking $500 at least. Pretty sure others will more knowledge will chime in.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Lots of info here, I would say it's a couple hundred dollar if you take it to an indy shop and easy 1K if you take it to the dealership. The throwout bearing should have been replaced with the kit. I would check that bearing and the guide tube. Linked here. If you are going to do it i would check the clutch also since you will have the have everything out. The throwout bearing will rattle until you press in the clutch when its going bad.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-flywheel.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If the clutch was really replaced they would have put a new throw out bearing in it as I can't think of any clutch kits that don't include the throw out bearing.

Now with that said that doesn't mean something isn't wrong with the fork or the quality of work that may be causing the issue. Sounds like some diag is needed, but may not find it till the trans is out.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more