Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine Knock and Trouble Starting

Old 10-10-2017, 11:37 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine Knock and Trouble Starting

Hey Guys,

So my R53's been doing some strange things lately that I haven't really been able to trace. To start, I did have the subframe dropped early last month to change control arm bushings and I recently installed a 15% pulley. I've been getting the engine knock code since I've reinstalled the subframe, and have also noticed that that there's some hesitation higher in the rev range. Nothing crazy, just seems to trip up once or twice, but seems to be doing it more recently. Its also having a little trouble on cold starts as well. I have to crank it for a bit and it struggles to turn over. Sometimes requiring a second try, which leads me to think the fuel pump is on its way out.

So far I've checked out the engine mounts which appear to be fine, and changed out my spark plugs (the old ones were toast), but nothing seems to be helping. I was wondering if you guys had some leads on some other avenues to investigate before I start going for the fuel pump.

Thanks!
Nick

EDIT - I should also note that the coil and plugs were replaced 3 months ago as well

Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by nthomas7883
Hey Guys,

So my R53's been doing some strange things lately that I haven't really been able to trace. To start, I did have the subframe dropped early last month to change control arm bushings and I recently installed a 15% pulley. I've been getting the engine knock code since I've reinstalled the subframe, and have also noticed that that there's some hesitation higher in the rev range. Nothing crazy, just seems to trip up once or twice, but seems to be doing it more recently. Its also having a little trouble on cold starts as well. I have to crank it for a bit and it struggles to turn over. Sometimes requiring a second try, which leads me to think the fuel pump is on its way out.

So far I've checked out the engine mounts which appear to be fine, and changed out my spark plugs (the old ones were toast), but nothing seems to be helping. I was wondering if you guys had some leads on some other avenues to investigate before I start going for the fuel pump.

Thanks!
Nick

EDIT - I should also note that the coil and plugs were replaced 3 months ago as well
Sorry you're having this problem, but you state":getting the engine knock code" , what code are you getting?

The following users liked this post:
nthomas7883 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:17 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
I’m sure you will get it Sorted! A lot gets fiddled with the subframe out. I would check all your grounds, remove , inspect and reinstall the plugs- making sure the crush rings are snugged up. Assuming you disconnected the battery with the earlier repairs- I would double check those connections also. I would agree about your fuel pump observation, but that sounds like an additional item- not the main cause. Keep looking and keep us posted. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
nthomas7883 (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:33 PM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Sorry you're having this problem, but you state":getting the engine knock code" , what code are you getting?
Duh that would make sense... lol

The code I'm throwing is P0326

Originally Posted by R56devotion
I’m sure you will get it Sorted! A lot gets fiddled with the subframe out. I would check all your grounds, remove , inspect and reinstall the plugs- making sure the crush rings are snugged up. Assuming you disconnected the battery with the earlier repairs- I would double check those connections also. I would agree about your fuel pump observation, but that sounds like an additional item- not the main cause. Keep looking and keep us posted. Good luck.
I'm hoping to have some spare time this weekend to start rooting around in there. I might actually need to drop the subframe again, since now that I did other suspension components, my inner tie-rods are getting loose

I might also revisit the engine mounts as well, I noticed later today that theres a noticeable shake at idle. I might take a look tomorrow and see if I can source it!

Thanks guys!
-Nick

Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The secondary parameter for that code is the engine coolant temperature along with engine load and speed. I would check all the plugs and wires down by where you were working. Have you checked the values on the speed sensors?

On the starting, how many miles on the car? Plugs and wires been changed recently?

For long distance diagnosing, the more information there is the better chance of making some guesses.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
In a similar scenario years back a forum member found a solution with this knock sensor code by:
1. Removing and cleaning the 2 wire sensor plug
2. Removing the ECM plug where he discovered a bent pin on the connector.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:45 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
The secondary parameter for that code is the engine coolant temperature along with engine load and speed. I would check all the plugs and wires down by where you were working. Have you checked the values on the speed sensors?

On the starting, how many miles on the car? Plugs and wires been changed recently?

For long distance diagnosing, the more information there is the better chance of making some guesses.
Hmm the coolant temp perimeter might make sense, I noticed recently that at idle my coolant temps have been climbing up into the 220-230 range before the fan kicks on. i did a little research on that, and found that these fans are two speeds and the low speed is known for quitting. Once I have some time I'm also going to look into that as well. Although I've been looking for an excuse to justify using my discount on a Mishi rad/hoses and thermostat haha

Right now I'm sitting right at about 127k miles. I put in an MSD coil with VMS wires in June, and new plugs not even two weeks ago.

I'm going to do some data logging via dash command so see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary over the next few days.

In a similar scenario years back a forum member found a solution with this knock sensor code by:
1. Removing and cleaning the 2 wire sensor plug
2. Removing the ECM plug where he discovered a bent pin on the connector.

So just to be sure he cleaned the knock sensor plug? FWIW I'll have to take off the supercharger to get access?

Thanks for the responses guys! The Mini's sort of a work in progress, and first step is just maintaining it :P

-Nick

Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
He discovered that the pins on the engine control module plug were bent after reinstalling the sub frame and wiring. User error which he fixed.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:22 AM
nthomas7883
1st Gear
He discovered that the pins on the engine control module plug were bent after reinstalling the sub frame and wiring. User error which he fixed.
Ahhh ok, that makes sense. I'll add that to the list of items to check.

Thanks,
Nick

Search this Thread