Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT problems after Harvey

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:30 AM
morepower16
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT problems after Harvey

My wife's 04 cooper was flooded in Hurricane Harvey. The water never got into the engine but did get inside up to the cup holders. I don't have the option of replacing the car so I've been working on it to make it work again. I've pulled the interior and cleaned every electrical connector and the fuse block. The car is running and everything seems to be working again but when I'm driving it the transmission will do strange things. Sometime it will not shift, while other times it will constantly upshift and then downshift and then there are times while at a stop light I have to hold the brake hard as it seems like it wants to move forward and bogs the engine down. I've changed the fluid and the old fluid didn't seem to look bad or have water in it. Is there a module somewhere that controls the transmission that I need to be looking at? If so where is it located?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:42 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Would think "up to the cupholders" would be close to the bottom of the trannie/engine. have you removed and cleaned all the plug connections going into the transmission? Would also think the BCM over in the passenger foot well is toast (soggy toast).

Hopefully some others will chime in. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:31 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Did you ever solve this? My daughters CVT transmission started doing similar things after she hit a GIANT puddle during hurricane Mark.

Regards,
Peter

Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Problem solved. I purchased the Mini scanner (Schwaben from ECS Tuning), and it identified the tranny speed sensor faulty. I tried the cut and splice in new wires but to no avail. I then replaced the sensor and problem solved.

Now I would like to reset the adaptations but can't figure out how to clear the current ones. Hopefully with the scanner.

regards,
Peter