Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

05 convertible issue

Old 08-23-2017, 09:27 AM
Richard Jahn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 convertible issue

Hi, I'm sure this has been brought up multiple times but I have a 05 S convertible and the top does not retract. The red light comes on after going back halfway. The first issue was a plastic clip broke on the drivers side latch at the windshield. It would still work for a while if manually released the latch, but then stopped completely. The motor seemed to make noise in the beginning of the problem but then stopped completely. I checked the switches in the back both of them and they seem to be in the pressed and they click when being pressed but that does not change the roof going down. I'm thinking the motor is bad but I can't find any schematic on the top or how to even remove the entire assembly so I can just check the motor with 12 volts.
Does anyone have any ideas or advice on what I can do to fix this? Any detailed pics on how to disassemble the top?
Thanks for any input!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
As you have an 05, going to move you back to the Gen1 area. ECS is a vendor here and has a Gen1 Vert. Hopefully he will chime in. How many miles on the car? Rear windows go down when you push the button? Assume the sunroof opens when you first push?

The following users liked this post:
Richard Jahn (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Richard Jahn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 63,000 miles. The rear windows do go down. And yes the sunroof opens.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
OK, there is a large 40 amp fuse in the engine compartment and as you sunroof opens would think that fuse is still good. Thinking that fuse connects up to the switch/relay area behind the panel of the left (driver side) rear seat. I know there are several electrical connectors in that area.

As your top is closed, you can still drive the car, I assume. Lets see what ECS comes up with. If you want go to the vendor area where you can get their contact area. You might be able to PM them as well.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Hello guys, I am here, just saw this. Check that fuse but i think the hall sensor or maybe the wires going to the hall sensor are damaged or the micro switch is not engaged.

That is the system cannot tell the sunroof section is all the way back.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...vertibles.html

Do you have a video of the top in action?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello, Newby here, havent even done an intro, but will later. My top does not function at all, both switches in back seem good, windows go down and motor is working but top does not move. R53coop refers to a 40 amp fuse in the engine bay, but the only 40 amp I see listed is for the ABS (FL6). Mine is also missing a 50 amp for defrost (FL10). Have yet to look at connections in the back. Also, my blinking light on the close button is flashing all the time while I'm driving.

Last edited by Tygurscoop; 09-28-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I should be more clear. Mine is an 05 s model. When I push the top down button, the windows go down and then I get noise from the rear (as if that motor is operating), the top does not move at all, not even the sunroof portion, nor do the clamps open. Seems to be no operation from overhead motor. All trips in trunk seem to be depressed. Wondering about the 40 amp fuse in the engine bay; is it under the fuse box?, and if so, how do I get access to it. The only way I can see to do it would be to disconnect the battery cable attached at the back of the fusebox, and then flip it over to access the fuses. What would I incur with disconnecting that cable as far as any resets for the car?

Search this Thread