Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broke down - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Prinler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broke down - Help!

Hey guys! So i was on my way home in my mini and it started to lose power. When i got to the large hill it dropped into limp mode and i pulled over. From under the hood i could smell burning rubber. I opened it up and i didnt see anything wrong. I checked the fluids and everything seemed like it was ok. I started the car and the limp mode cleared and i attempted to accelerate and as soon as i hit 3000 rpm it did it again. I let her cool off a bit while poked around but everything was ok, temps were perfect, no other lights. I could start the car and she would pur. With the AC on i noticed the battery light turn on for a moment tho. I turned the AC off and attempted once again to drive it home and she was fine.... just as long as the AC was off. I have been racking my brain on what the issue could be, It did flag a code of P1688. Its super hot here in California where i live and I cant drive it with out AC. Someone told me to check the crank pulley, not sure what im looking for but i took a video so you could tell me what you think. She drives fine with the AC off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-O...r#action=share

She is a 2005 MCS 125k

Old 08-18-2017, 06:41 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Sounds like your Crank Pulley, thus the rubber you were smelling.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Tlxxtl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Prinler
Hey guys! So i was on my way home in my mini and it started to lose power. When i got to the large hill it dropped into limp mode and i pulled over. From under the hood i could smell burning rubber. I opened it up and i didnt see anything wrong. I checked the fluids and everything seemed like it was ok. I started the car and the limp mode cleared and i attempted to accelerate and as soon as i hit 3000 rpm it did it again. I let her cool off a bit while poked around but everything was ok, temps were perfect, no other lights. I could start the car and she would pur. With the AC on i noticed the battery light turn on for a moment tho. I turned the AC off and attempted once again to drive it home and she was fine.... just as long as the AC was off. I have been racking my brain on what the issue could be, It did flag a code of P1688. Its super hot here in California where i live and I cant drive it with out AC. Someone told me to check the crank pulley, not sure what im looking for but i took a video so you could tell me what you think. She drives fine with the AC off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-O...r#action=share

She is a 2005 MCS 125k
Mine just did the same thing... The AC coil went bad in mine causing the belt to stop moving, once the belt stops the rubber in the harmonic dampener fails!
So you need to check the both

Old 08-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Tlxxtl
1st Gear
See my post "I think this part is bad"

Old 08-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Prinler
1st Gear
What does a turned off ac clutch feel like? Mine turns by hand but its not an even feeling. I know the ac levels on each side are acting strange, my mechanic checked it because i was getting, mediocre cooling. He said there was too much pressure on one side and not enough on the other, that the AC compressor needs replace. It started blowing cold again after that tho so i never did anything.

From the looks of the crank pully its a factory version. This is the one that fails all the time? Any way to check before taking it off?

Old 08-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Prinler
1st Gear
WOW TlxxtlTlxxtl!!!! I found it! WOW! So the rubber just spins I get it now!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:00 PM
FabianED
Neutral
Hi Prinler, I have an extra used AC compressor. PM if your interested.

-Fabian

Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Prinler
1st Gear
Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Prinler
1st Gear
Well, this doesnt look like a cheap fix. Special tool just to tension the belt off.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:52 AM
Tlxxtl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Prinler
Well, this doesnt look like a cheap fix. Special tool just to tension the belt off.
Prinier, I am dyi this one... and it's my first time working on a Mini!!! The parts are best sourced online, as most parts houses do not stock the and the markup is crazy. I got a friend to assist with tear down and again with reassemble. Ohh the special tool is only like $30

Old 08-20-2017, 04:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
For sure sounds like a bad crank pulley. Not too hard to replace, but don't go back with an original style damper. Go with the ATI damper as it will not fail again, also it is a little lighter, and dampens better so the car will actually idle and run smoother.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

Check out some of the how to things and see it's not too bad to do.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more