Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

dealer price for mini cooper key fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Yuki

may i know the contact of company name of your friend? We would like to get a replacement for our remote control but price from dealership is extremely pricey
Carolina Key

https://www.carolinakey.org

Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I called Mini Roadside assistance and got it cheaper than dealership.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:53 PM
KDKid
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contradictory to dealer info

I understand this is an international forum, regardless of the name. However, the process will be the same, no matter the origin or destination of the car. After phoning 4 different dealerships in Ontario, I've found 4 different prices for both the key and the programming. My questions are:

1) If the keys are issued per VIN, what additional programming is needed? This is contradictory to why 3rd party keys don't work. If they need additional programming, why couldn't generic chips be mated to the car and work? A blade can be cut by anyone with the proper equipment.

2) If the replacement keys come directly from BMW, shouldn't they be the same price? I know they're marked up, but this should be an issue that BMW remedies, otherwise, ship directly to the buyer, without the bull$#+t.

3) Does anyone know what frequency the chips are programmed to? There are several generic Mini keys on the internet, complete with chips/boards built in, to be programmed. If I can buy a generic fob, with a blade that can be cut, and my local mechanic has the same computer tool to program the keys, which board would I need and how do they differ?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:20 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I don't see on their website that they provide MINI/BMW keys. Even if they do, why not skip the middleman in this instance and go to a dealer that discounts all their parts, including keys? MINI of Peabody in Massachusetts does this. Call and get the correct part number of the key you need, then order on the website to get the discount. You'll have to provide them your license and registration/title after the sale as proof of ownership. From what I have been able to determine the savings are pretty good over the average dealership.

Val

Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KDKid
I understand this is an international forum, regardless of the name. However, the process will be the same, no matter the origin or destination of the car. After phoning 4 different dealerships in Ontario, I've found 4 different prices for both the key and the programming. My questions are:

1) If the keys are issued per VIN, what additional programming is needed? This is contradictory to why 3rd party keys don't work. If they need additional programming, why couldn't generic chips be mated to the car and work? A blade can be cut by anyone with the proper equipment.
Sticking with the round fobs found in the second generation cars, they are issued via the VIN and arrive from MINI ready to use. The key blade is cut, the remote is programmed to work with your car and the EWS/Immobilizer (anti-theft) chip inside the key will allow your car to start. A third party key has none of these VIN specific things set up inside of it. A blade can be easily cut, but I have found no series of button pushes that will allow a new round fob to work with your car and I don't believe that a dealer can hook up to your car and code in the remote. That's why they arrive ready to use from MINI. Also, the keys are sealed and I see no way to program the VIN specific EWS/Immobilizer chip that supposedly would be inside. This is also something that a dealer can't do and I don't believe that an independent coder could to this either. Just because these aftermarket keys are manufactured doesn't mean that they can actually be used.

2) If the replacement keys come directly from BMW, shouldn't they be the same price? I know they're marked up, but this should be an issue that BMW remedies, otherwise, ship directly to the buyer, without the bull$#+t.
Dealers are free to set the price of the parts they sell. That's why I recommend that MINI owners who need a new key (or other parts) contact MINI of Peabody in Massachusetts as they discount all their parts including keys. Dealers exist to provide parts and service, not just sell cars. If the vehicle maker took back part of that (like key sales) there would probably be a dealer revolt as the maker would be heading down a slippery slope. Once the maker starts selling one part people would expect that they should also hold the price line on everything.

3) Does anyone know what frequency the chips are programmed to? There are several generic Mini keys on the internet, complete with chips/boards built in, to be programmed. If I can buy a generic fob, with a blade that can be cut, and my local mechanic has the same computer tool to program the keys, which board would I need and how do they differ?
Keys in North America operate at or about 315 Mhz. Chances your mechanic does not have the computer tools to program keys like is done when they are manufactured. Both the remote board must be set to operate your car and the EWS/Immobilizer chip must be programmed. All major car makers use different systems to program the remotes and anti-theft chips when the keys are made or to program the car to accept commands from the remotes. Your local mechanic would have to have many different specific key programmers and computer tools to do this properly, an investment they are probably not willing to make.

Val

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
I don't see on their website that they provide MINI/BMW keys. Even if they do, why not skip the middleman in this instance and go to a dealer that discounts all their parts, including keys? MINI of Peabody in Massachusetts does this. Call and get the correct part number of the key you need, then order on the website to get the discount. You'll have to provide them your license and registration/title after the sale as proof of ownership. From what I have been able to determine the savings are pretty good over the average dealership.

Val
They do all makes and models including BMW/MINI. But you're right, go with the person that gives the best combination price and service.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Lipofskyphoto
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Replace the battery in the fob for less than $10.

DIYs are all over the internet. Reprogramming doesn't seem to be necessary.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:23 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
There are no replaceable batteries for the regular R56 key, it charges when in the ignition. At least neither of my keys have a pop off door like the one in the video.

Comfort access key does have a replaceable battery IIRC.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Lipofskyphoto
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The fob may not disassemble as the one in the video, but all the fobs can be disassembled and glued back together.

There is a rechargeable battery inside that can be replaced for very little money.

The following users liked this post:
dedave (02-07-2020)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:44 AM
cnimini
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MINI of Peabody- verified purchase!

Just purchased my 4th MINI, a 2009 Cooper for my daughter. It came with only one key, so I've been searching the boards to find an affordable solution for a 2nd key after my local MINI dealer quoted me a price of $270, and that was without the comfort programming. I called MINI of Peabody in MA, and with the online ordering discount, it was $175 (including shipping) for both the fob and the cut key. They require the additional step of providing proof of ownership, but that is no problem. Replacements can ONLY be ordered through MINI, so don't waste your time or $$ on blanks from eBay or Amazon.

The following 2 users liked this post by cnimini:
MINI_42 (07-19-2020), Rich Rodichok (06-27-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Weebs
Neutral
Not entirely true. My neighbor is in the OEM key fob business. I can buy MINI fobs from him. He orders them from the dealer (preprogrammed to the VIN as required) at a discount and passes that discount on to the customer.
so how do we order from him??

Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hundreds of us have gone through this process of needing a programmed key fob and seeing the unprofeammed fobs on EBay. It doesn’t work like that...everything that has been explained here is the straight story. You need your vin number and proff of ownership in order to go to a dealer. If I had access to Cerenkovs’ friend, I would ask if I could be put in contact with his friend.

Last edited by Shiner; 07-14-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 09-03-2018, 02:50 PM
DigiFXTech
Neutral
Replacement Casing

Originally Posted by Lipofskyphoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GVxMys2Hi0
I have this key. My daughter lost the back for it with battery. All I need is the casing. Can I get that somewhere other than the dealer?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lipofskyphoto

Tried replacing battery (correct type ordered from Amazon, pair cost about $13) but didn't affect lack of remote-opening of locks whatsoever.
New battery tested OK before installation, after installation; care was taken not to overheat PC board component inside fob too - I've done this kind of thing before & had 0 issues frying sensitive components. My fob still starts & runs my '13 Clubman, just won't remote-open locks. If the one remaining functioning fob quits too it's mechanical locking only, a PITA when it's winter or pouring rain.
Fault BMW for ever foisting a non-replaceable battery fob on their products' buyers - should be a Class Action lawsuit for denial of service. Or extortion.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
There's many things that can go wrong with these keys. Your key may have suffered from what I call "battery wasting syndrome" where there is a mysterious battery drain inside of the key- some component has failed or shorted and a fully charged, brand new battery will drain down to about .7 volts in a week or so of just sitting on the shelf. I have seen this happen with several of the keys I have tried to repair and nothing can be done about it as there is no published schematic for these keys. Also the circuitry is tiny and so are the components, many of them with no markings. So what happened with your key- shouldn't it run the remote functions right after you replaced the battery, at least until the battery runs down? It should, but you may have damaged the circuit board when opening it. This is also something I have seen many times. These round fobs are sometimes difficult to open and it's very easy to knock components off of the circuit board when doing so. If you could post a good picture of the front and back of your circuit board I can compare it to a picture I have of a known good board and see if anything is missing. My e-mail is "minikeyhospital (at) outlook [dot] com. Sorry for the inbox being full, I'll take care of that later in the week.

Val

Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
$200+ is F'-ing killing me softly with the only option to get the comfort access feature to work on the key fob again is going to the stealership.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM
MWMWMWM
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hamptup
$200+ is F'-ing killing me softly with the only option to get the comfort access feature to work on the key fob again is going to the stealership.

How much is your dealer charging for programing (I assume comfort access)
Peabody in MA isn't $175 shipping included any longer?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not entirely true. My neighbor is in the OEM key fob business. I can buy MINI fobs from him. He orders them from the dealer (preprogrammed to the VIN as required) at a discount and passes that discount on to the customer.
Only helpful if you include info for contacting your neighbor so we can buy a key

Old 02-20-2019, 04:37 PM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just ordered a key from https://www.minipeabody.com/. The Fob that starts the car and opens the doors was about $150 including shipping. You have to provide a copy of your drivers license and title, then they mail it to you.

Info for those like me that aren't anywhere near a mini dealer ( or just don't want to go anywhere near a mini dealer )

This price did not include the actual KEY part of the FOB.

Edit: I never use the Key anyway so I bought a blank off ebay for $7 so the FOB can be put on a key chain.

Last edited by rondayvous; 03-04-2019 at 04:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AZdsrt (02-21-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I've read numerous of these key fob threads. One issue that doesn't get covered properly is comfort access. Also note that what I'm about to state is for 2nd gen cars. Comfort access is the feature of the key/car that allows you to not have to actually do anything with the key other than having it with you (pocket or purse).

Within the car's computer there exists a list of the all the keys, comfort access or not, that the car will recognize and respond to. I'm not sure how many keys can be in that list but it's at least three. The first two slots in that list are comfort access eligible. Beyond that are not. So when you buy a brand new car with comfort access you get two keys and they are listed in slot 1 and slot 2. If you lose one or damage one of the fob's, a new fob ordered via the dealer from BMW will get added to the list in the third slot. Even if it is a comfort access fob, it will not provide the comfort access functionality. To get CA back, the dealer must have all the keys and the car. The list is cleared completely, the two fobs that are comfort access fobs are entered first and land in slots 1 & 2. If you had for some reason a third fob, it would become #3. Number 3 may or may not be a comfort access fob, but regardless, it will not provide the function.

>Source: Personal experience with damaging one CA fob on my R56 and having the dealer tech who did the work be a member of our MINI club so he told me the process.

The following 5 users liked this post by mysticturner:
ca92807 (04-22-2019), MINI_42 (07-19-2020), mountainhorse (12-05-2019), MWMWMWM (02-26-2019), rondayvous (02-26-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 PM
R. Kamphaus
Neutral
Can I?

can I order one from him? Do you have his contact info?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:17 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 308 Likes on 224 Posts
I looked around quite a bit for a good price on a Key Fob... and settled in on one of our sponsors... MiniPartsMass
parts@minipeabody.com

Sent in proof of ownership...Regestration and title and also my photo ID... with all documents having matching addresses to each other (this is important).

All programmed, factory MINI/BMW also with key cut for door lock ... directly from BMW.... including shipping across country.... Less than $175.

SUPER FAST and EASY !!

As a note... this car was not comfort access equipped.

Last edited by mountainhorse; 12-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
try minipartsdirect.com. it is even cheaper and works the same in terms of ownership verification

Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Chevycruizer
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Brand new Mini owner here and I had to make a profile to post a huge thanks for this threads information and to give a shout out for Mini Parts Direct.

I must agree with the posts that say to go with Mini Parts Direct. They are a full service Mini dealer in NC and operate a large internet/online store. They crushed both my local Hawaii dealer price and the previously mentioned Peabody dealers price. I'm talking just over $100 difference in price. I also tried contacting the independent guy (Carolina Key) and he did not return my communication.

The following 3 users liked this post by Chevycruizer:
MINI_42 (07-19-2020), mountainhorse (12-17-2019), TurgidFlux (11-03-2022)
Old 02-20-2020, 06:13 PM
chaswilson
Neutral
Bummer, I contacted Mini Parts Direct about a key and just received this:

I'm sorry. Our key policy has changed. The must be ordered in person and picked up in person. We are in NC, so if that will help you give me a call and I can explain the process.

Quick Reply: dealer price for mini cooper key fob