Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

White smoke-boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:19 PM
tylewis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke-boost problems

Apologies in advance, I am almost sure this topic will have been covered somewhere else, if so, please refer me so I don't clog up the forum.

I have the oil filter housing gasket issue, need to get it replaced but have put it off for a few weeks, been topping off oil consistently and checking each time to make sure its not running low.

All that being said, I have had some white smoke but today it got real bad, first on my way to work I saw it come out the back under WOT in 6th, just getting up to speed and no boost, followed by weird pops from the exhaust. I have a catless DP but it never "popped" like that. Then on the way home it was loud popping lots of smoke and no boost, happened quite frequently and more smoke than I have seen yet.

What is it?

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:37 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
white smoke = coolant in your combustion system
Any coolant leak or lower level every x time?

Last edited by miniuy; 06-29-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I always thought that white smoke indicated water/coolant problems while blue smoke meant oil.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The oil filter adapter routes both oil and coolant. I'd fix it as soon as possible. I believe mine had some white some on occasion before I fixed it. No white smoke since. Also mine is a JCW and the "pop" is normal for the JCW. I don't think it's normal in the S.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BRGPA
I always thought that white smoke indicated water/coolant problems while blue smoke meant oil.
Sorry, your are totally right.
My mistake for writing in a hurry.
Comment fixed.
Thank you.