Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Help! Transmission and Oil leak problem..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Tyler767
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Transmission and Oil leak problem..?

Hello all!

First off I have a 2006 MCSa with 54k miles with the Aisen Transmission. I've been experiencing some slight issues that have me worried.

Symptom:

-Intermittently when going up slight inclines the transmission seems to shoot up the RPMs and doesn't shift to the next gear(it happens at other times but I seem to notice it more on inclines).If I don't immediately let off the throttle the RPMs continue to rise and I've even heard a large bang when this happened a few days ago.

-Also it appears that there is an"oil leak" under the car, but does not leak enough to drop to the ground and looks more like sludge(see photos below).

Being at the mileage I am at I've read that changing the transmission fluid and filter may resolve this issue as it happens intermittently but I've noticed it more the past few weeks.

As I check under the car inspecting for the torque to bleed the transmission oil out I notice this of what appears to be an oil leak.

I usually add a quart of oil ever 1k-1.5k because I've noticed the oil level is usually low during my oil changes by around a quart or so. My oil level seems to be full.

Did I overfill the oil and cause this leak?

Any suggestions on what I should do next or what may be going on?

Sorry I'm a beginner but I'm trying to learn everything I can and research for the best and most economical solution. All the mechanics in my area charge an arm and a leg but if that's what it takes to fix it I will, but I'd rather work on her myself.

I love my Mini and honestly it's been my favorite car to ever own. I don't want to damage my baby and want it running without any issues. Thank you all very much in advance for any guidance!!

Last edited by Tyler767; 06-15-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: I'm on mobile and can't seem to get the pictures to line up correctly, so I apologize for them being in random spots lol :)
Old 06-15-2017, 05:08 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
At 54,000 miles your transmission is due for a fluid change. Do that first and see if it changes anything, if that doesn't fix the transmission problem, then you could put a new valve body in it, the valve body is easily accessible after you have removed the transmission oil pan. There are some good tutorials right here on this site on how to do both of these things.

For the engine oil leak, you will need to clean the engine real good, drive it and then go back to see where the oil is coming from. It will be much easier to find the leak on a clean engine. Be careful not to get any electrical connections wet while cleaning your engine, or it could cause more problems.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Tyler767
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Dave! As I do not have the tools to lower the subframe nor do I have the replacement transmission filter, do you suggest I go ahead and do a trans fluid drain, fill, and repeat that two or three times to get around 80% or so new trans fluid? Or just wait until I have the filter and tools to do the whole thing?

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I'd wait until I had all the tools and parts before changing the transmission fluid. Just changing the fluid is just as much work as doing it right with all the correct parts.