Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Window Stuck Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Marxmini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Stuck Down

Aloha All,

2006 R50 and my son came home last night and the window wouldn't go up. Tried all the tricks: banging the door, holding the switch, disconnecting the battery and nothing works. Fuses are good also. I'm going to order a new motor and regulator but is there a way to raise the window manually? I've got the door cover off but trying to lift the glass did nothing. Leaving on vacation and I can't fix this before I go.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Mark

Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving this to the Stock Problems/Issues section.

Does your car have a sunroof? If yes, the BCU module in the passenger side foot wheel may have gotten wet if the sunroof weeps are plugged up.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Marxmini
1st Gear
It does have a sunroof but what does that mean? How do I determine if that's the problem? What's the fix?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Marxmini
1st Gear
Oh, and it's the passenger side window?

Old 06-03-2017, 04:25 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Never had this issue with my Minis but have had window issues with other cars. You would need an electrical tester that can do both voltage and resistance. Have you verified that when you push the window toggle that there is power to the regulator? If you have power and it is not moving then it would be logical to assume the regulator is shot. If you don't have power then you have to trace the lines from the toggle to the BCU and then from the BCU to the window regulator. If you have power going into but not out of the BCU you most likely have found your problem.

The C5 vettes had major issues with the plug pins on the harness that went from the body into the door frame. Many a person spent money on regulators and control modules only to find out it was the plugs pins being loose.

On the vette you could rebuild the control module but I am not an expert on the Mini BCU. Hopefully somebody will chime in here. Do some searches here as well as on Google (that will most likely link you to a thread here.

If the regulator does not have power going to it, and, you are confident in your mechanical ability, you could disconnect the plug and run a jumper with power to the regulator. This should make the motor work. I would think the BCU changes the polarity of the voltage to make the motor go up or down so by connecting to one or the other pins at the motor connection you should be able to make the motor work to close the window. I would also use a jumper with an line fuse so you don't fry something else if you hit something by mistake.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:19 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the door panel off you should have access to the window glass. If you are unable to lift up the window manually, there could be something stuck with the regulator. On my driver side window, the wires snapped and it got stuck so I could only bring the window down but not up. Once I cut those wires, I was able to prop up the window until I got a new regulator. If you have to change it, make sure to buy the window wrench. It makes the job a lot easier.