Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Leaky thermostat housing permanent fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 AM
Tonefiend
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky thermostat housing permanent fix?

OK I bought my 2006 Cooper new and it now has 180,000 miles on it. It has definitely seen better days but it still going strong.

I had the thermostat housing replaced under warranty and I've done it myself two times after that. Well it's time to do it again...

Is there a permanent fix for this problem? I typically just get a new housing and gasket but I'm wondering if I should put some sealant on there or something? Anybody else have this chronic issue?

It seems like every couple months I'm doing brakes, tires, or the thermostat housing...

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Couple of questions, first, you are cleaning the motor side that the gasket is placing against and second, are you torquing the bolts to the specified amount?

This is a justa?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Shouldn't put any sealant on it. But also there was a few updates to the thermostat gasket. So we ONLY use the factory original MINI thermostat and gasket as they are the most reliable.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/thermo...t-r50-r53.html

And the new housing
https://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-th...t-housing.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-13-2017, 05:17 AM
Tonefiend
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I'm cleaning the motor service off with acetone and a Scotch-Brite and torquing down to the required torque. My latest repair actually lasted longer than the dealers and the original factory installation.

thanks for the heads up, I will get the updated thermostat housing and gasket and see if that works. I hope the car has another 50,000 miles left in it!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've changed mine twice now...once at about 30K and then again around 80K I think. It's got well over 130K now and still going strong...I keep watching it though and am ready to replace it when it goes bad.