Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2007 R56 rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Old Joe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 R56 rear wheel bearing

Do I need to replace one or both rear whell bearings?

2007 R56 Mini Cooper Hatchback (not Sport), 91,000 miles.

I know what a bad wheel bearing sounds like, having replaced a few on old VW Beetles and on a Mercedes 300D that I drove for 300,000 miles. I also know Cooper is a small car and I expect a bit of road noise.

However, it seems as though I'm hearing a lot more road noise than ever, most pronounced above 50 MPH. Seems to be coming from right rear.

Remember back in the day when we would put "mud grip" tires on our trucks and the deep tread would cause the tire to hum or sing? That's sort of what it sounds like. -- like an old mud grip tire humming loudly from the right rear.

If I put the car up on jack stands and spin the rear wheels by hand, will I hear the bad bearing -- that's what I did on the old VW, couldn't miss.

How much of a job is it to replace the rear wheel bearing(s)?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:29 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

No need to replace each side unless you like a bit of preventative maintenance and spending money.