Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Reconnecting steering linkage - any tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:15 AM
bdubya
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Reconnecting steering linkage - any tips

Stupid noob question....I had the subframe down to do a bunch of work (first time I've done this), and now that I have the subframe reattached I'm having a brutal time getting the steering link connected back to the rack. I can get the end of the u-joint lined up next to the shaft, but it doesn't want to slide on. Tried getting a slip-joint plier onto it, but the angles aren't right. Though about whacking it into place from the engine-bay side with a hammer and a piece of electric conduit or wood, but I don't want to risk damaging the rack. Anybody got any tips?

Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I forgot to reconnect mine after doing my clutch. I tried everything man... In the end I had to disconnect everything AGAIN and drop the subframe about an inch or 2. After that it slid right on.

Also, since you've been trying to reconnect it with the subframe all the way up check the steering column boot inside the car, behind the pedals. Sometimes that boot and bushing can come lose. It's a lot easier to get them together with the subframe down IF they did come apart.

Just a tip.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 AM
bdubya
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
I forgot to reconnect mine after doing my clutch. I tried everything man... In the end I had to disconnect everything AGAIN and drop the subframe about an inch or 2. After that it slid right on.

Also, since you've been trying to reconnect it with the subframe all the way up check the steering column boot inside the car, behind the pedals. Sometimes that boot and bushing can come lose. It's a lot easier to get them together with the subframe down IF they did come apart.

Just a tip.
Hmm..yours slid on end-to-end instead of from the side, I'm guessing? The shaft on my rack seems to be a little mushroomed at the tip - wouldn't slide in when I tried connecting them while raising the rack. Looks like I might need to drop it again and file the shaft tip flat. Thanks for the tip on the boot - they definitely have come loose.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine slid on from the side, it's a tight fit. I don't believe it mushroomed, I'm pretty sure it's made like that so it can only slide on from the side. They fit "like a puzzle piece" for lack of better word ATM

BTW, let me know how that goes, did you get it put make together?

Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
bdubya
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Andrew Riley
Mine slid on from the side, it's a tight fit. I don't believe it mushroomed, I'm pretty sure it's made like that so it can only slide on from the side. They fit "like a puzzle piece" for lack of better word ATM

BTW, let me know how that goes, did you get it put make together?
Yep. Getting the column boot and bushing back in place helped quite a bit, although that was its own little headache (finally figured out that if I snapped the inner plastic boot and the floppy outer rubber cover together first, they pushed in from below quite nicely). Sanded both pieces a little bit, sprayed on a little silicone, and while I was raising the subframe back up they just slid into place without me even touching them (although it did take a little nudge to get the linkage fully seated). Thanks for the tips!