Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Battery light on, no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM
top_hat
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R53 Battery light on, no power steering

Turned the car over this morning and the battery light came on, then I went to turn the wheel and the power steering was out. Later that day sitting in traffic car started to get hot. I noticed the radiator fans were not turning on. However once I started moving again the coolant temp dropped. I know this is an electrical issue. But I replaced the alternator and the battery just over 6 months ago. Anyone have any ideas on the problem at hand?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did you check your belt?

Old 04-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
The PS pump is electric. There is a 100 amp fuse under the fuse box in the engine compartment. Are you able to figure out if you have power to the pump? What year car is it as there was a recall on PS pumps, 02 to a certain month in 05 I believe.

On the fans, there a very long thread in the Gen1 side on the fan resister going bad. The low speed fan will not come on, only the high speed and the AC will not work as without the low speed fan the AC overheats and dumps the freon in the high side. The fans also have relays that could burn out.