Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bypass valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:07 PM
IndieJoe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass valve issue

Since I bought my mini last week i noticed it doesn't seem to perform until upper rpm. That seemed to be uncharacteristic of a supercharged vehicle since my last rig was a supercharged Buick Regal. Throttle response was instant no matter what rpm or gear. I was watching a vid by mod mini on YouTube about replacing the bypass valve. I reached down to the bypass valve on my r53 and turns out the internal return spring must be broken. It doesn't close the flap when vacuum drops. When the car is off I can freely move the flap open and closed with no resistance. It opens when vacuum is there and the car is at idle just like normal. Looks like it's going to need to be replaced. Any thoughts on the Detroit tuned bypass valve? They advertise a stiffer return spring to alleviate boost issues. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We sell both the standard and DT bypass valves and between the two I prefer the standard stock valve. The loss in mileage and less engine braking due to the stiffer spring keeping it in boost longer I don't like. I do always adjust the stop on the stock just to make sure it closes all the way as sometimes they have a slight air gap out of the box. Even on my race car I run the stock valve.
Stock
https://www.waymotorworks.com/oem-mi...e-r52-r53.html

DT valve
https://www.waymotorworks.com/detroi...***-valve.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 AM
IndieJoe
1st Gear
Thanks for the input, I think I'll probably order the stock valve this week sometime.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 AM
IndieJoe
1st Gear
Figured now was as good a time as any. I just ordered the stock bypass valve from Way Motor Works. I can't wait to get it and all my tune up stuff here and on. I picked up a valve cover gasket from Rockauto as well with new spark plug grommets for the cover. Figured I'd have it torn down that far already with the intercooler off and the driver side horn off to do the bypass valve.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
While I always say the DT valve is not for everyone based on how they drive there car, or other ways the car has been modded. We have been making a lot of them for years and people love the way they feel. If you read the reviews on our web site, 41 (5) start reviews can't be wrong. http://www.detroittuned.com/detroit-tuned-bypass-valve/

Old 03-26-2017, 12:30 PM
IndieJoe
1st Gear
While I don't have a point of reference yet to appreciate the difference between the two. I can say that I may upgrade in the future depending on my goals and so on. Right now I just want it tuned up and ready to roll