Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil Pressure Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Pootietang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Woes

Hi Everybody,

I was hoping someone might have some insight into an oil pressure issue I'm having. I have a used 2007 turbo mini with 124k that when cold, will turn on the oil pressure light when coming to stops. It will light for about 5 seconds and go out. It'll do this for about the first 5 miles. Once warmed up, no 5 second light at stops. Up 'til now it's been only during the colder weather (below 60F). This week it's been above 60 and the light has come on twice at stops after fully warmed up and getting off the freeway. On the freeway and during the rest of the ride (about 5 miles further), no light. It's full of oil (5w30 mobil 1), has a new pressure switch, and has no engine noises. I'm about to pull the pan off and take a look inside but considering the symptoms, I feel like I'm not going to find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Pootie

Old 02-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Pootietang
1st Gear
Update

So I pulled the pan, didn't find anything wrong. Pulled the vanos solenoid and found two of the screen sections broken. Has me wondering how that happened and if it could affect the oil pressure. I doubt it. So in an attempt to increase pressure, I shimmed the oil pump relief spring per Jykke76 here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-preluber.html. Hopefully my problem goes away!

Pootie

Old 03-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Pootietang
1st Gear
Unfortunately, the pump mod resulted in no change. I installed a gauge and found it does drop below 7 psi for a second or two when coming to a stop but recovers quickly. Enough to make the oil light come on and go out after a few seconds. Idle RPM dropped no lower than 800. Really stumped at this point, especially since the engine runs great and has no knocking. I've heard many an engine knock from spun rod or crank bearings (former mechanic) with no low oil pressure issues as a result. Does anyone out there have a schematic of the oil gallery? I can't imagine the cause being engine wear when the car runs like a top and there's no engine noise.

Thanks for any input,

Pootie

Old 04-01-2017, 10:43 AM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pootietang, I'm sorry to hear about your oil pressure troubles. I had been using Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula for many years without trouble. It was my understanding that it was the only Mobil 1 oil that met the Mini/BMW Longlife-01 requirements. However, it no longer meets those specs so I've switched to Castrol Edge SAE 0W-40 European Formula, which is a Full Synthetic Oil. I usually pick up a 5 qt. jug for about $25 at Walmart. You really can't beat the price.
I would change the oil using the above Castrol oil with a genuine Mini Cooper oil filter. I have 124k miles on my Mini with oil changes every 5k miles and runs great. Let us know how things turn out.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:05 PM
Pootietang
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply, Greg,
I finally figured out that the K&N "high flow" oil filter was the problem. You'd think a performance product company could get an oil filter right. What a joke! I replaced the filter with a Mann and tripled the oil pressure! No more oil light and it runs like a top. What a waste of time! Never again.

Thanks again!

Chris

Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got the issue resolved. Thanks for the update!