Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 cooper s cyl #4 piston knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 PM
hwy78garage
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cooper s cyl #4 piston knock

Hello recently purchased a 2006 mini cooper s, the car is a park lane edition automatic trans with the paddle shifters an i love the interior. the car needed to be towed the engine made alot of noise.
so far seems to have all the typical problems i noticed oil leak around the crank sensor the timing chain tensioner was not keeping tension chain rail guides were looking chipped and finally the #4 piston was knocking connecting rod bearing melted.other than that head looks good not a complete meltdown pistons look ok block seems fine. wondering what to do like to find a decent price short block or better to find a decent engine from a wrecking yard.could use some advise.got a bit excited and purchased some parts already oil pump chain tensioner misc seals tstat control arm bushings etc . i am a factory trained mechanic but not to familiar with the minis the price on set of pistons and crank seem a bit uhm pricey so i want to think this through.any good ideas would be greatly apreciated

Last edited by hwy78garage; 04-03-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Check www.car-part.com for a used engine. Just be wary that when you buy used you don't know the condition or how it was treated. You could call local MINI indy shops and see if they have any used ones laying around. You can use this site to help you find one near you: http://www.minirepairshops.com/.

We have some great free tech articles here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...tech_index.htm that you can check out to help you work on it as well.

If you need parts please let me know and I can help you out.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 AM
hwy78garage
Neutral
2006 Cooper s. #4 cyl knock.

Yup thnx did prefer some suspension parts and everything came out great.. I did hold off on that used motor but with 45k miles car was rear ended very tempting. I need a crank it have the one repaired. Cyl#4 c'mon rod then I might repair my engine cyl head looks awesome

Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 AM
hwy78garage
Neutral
Decided to rebuild.

Over much thought I'm rebuilding my R53.
Engine is getting new extreme rod bearings from king bearings. New main bearings race rings oil pump chain tensioner and rails. Decided to replace all the lifter arms intake and ehxaust. Plus new gaskets etc. Also while engine is out I drained service my transmission and supercharger. Waiting to here how my crank is going to turn out having that welded ground down to standard size. Then I will order my parts. So far I have found many parts available online. Did my homework I like CARID best so far they have everything and at a good price. Keep you posted..pretty much everything else on the 'em gin looks good.#4 rod is worn. The pistons where checked out ok not sure if I will replace pistons and connecting rods. Ant thoughts on that would be help full thnx.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:47 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Not sure if yours are damaged or you're just thinking about upgrading, but the crank and connecting rods on a stock S are supposed to be forged. Are you just rebuilding, or going with a head, cam, etc. for more performance?