Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Major help needed for my Oil Filter housing

Old 09-18-2004, 07:44 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major help needed for my Oil Filter housing

I am not sure where to put this, so move it if necessary

anyways, after installing my oil pressure gauge i've been leaking oil, while it's just a trickle by trickle, i'd like to have some assurance that one day when i start the car there'd be enough oil inside....

i remember awhile back in another thread someone said promini has a filter housing especially for the pressure sensor.... is this true and if so does it fit an electronic pressure gauge?

thanks for any help! i need this fixed soon i can't be checking my oil every time just to make sure it aint leaking

Old 09-19-2004, 12:07 AM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, that's exactly why I didn't want to drill that cast aluminum cap for a pressure gauge fitting. Since you're going to be replacing that cap, why not make a more durable (as in you won't have to detach the sender wire every time you change your oil), and more professional installation? You're going to draining the oil to keep from making a big mess when you replace the cap, so why not take the time to attach the oil pressure sender for your gauge in the place it ought to go anyway?

Here's what I did. Other folks may have done it differently.

Remove the wire from the factory oil pressure sender. Take some long slip joint pliers or some vice grips or even the correct socket to do the job and pull the factory oil pressure switch. It's close to the oil filter and more toward the center of the car. Hard to see, hard to reach, but there and removable.

Get a length of brass pipe threaded 3/8 pipe thread on both ends (mine is about 3" if I recall correctly, but you may be able to get away with a shorter length for your electronic sender as opposed to my mechanical connection), a brass T fitting with 3/8" female pipe threads on two of the openings and whatever thread your oil pressure sender needs on the other.

Use some teflon tape or teflon paste (which is actually better if you have it) as a sealant on all the threads.

Screw the pipe into the block where the oil pressure sender used to live. it doesn't need a dying strain, it just needs to be tight. Screw the T fitting onto the end of the pipe (again with the sealant), the factory oil pressure sender into the portion of the fitting with the right threads and your oil pressure sender in the other hole. Connect the factory oil pressure sender wire to the factory oil pressure sender and whatever wiring you need for your oil pressure sender to your gauge.

Start it, check for leaks and smile. Dunno about your neighborhood, but all the parts I needed were at Home Depot (or Lowe's, I really don't remember which) and the total cost was well under $5.00.