Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MAY need to be replacing clutch on 05MCSC - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 AM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAY need to be replacing clutch on 05MCSC - recommendations?

Hi, Per the other thread going on about clutch replacement, my mechanic has just recommended a replacement of our clutch at 70K miles.

Now I wouldn't have an issue with that except we replaced our oem clutch with what I believe was a Spec Stage 2 (or Stage 2+) at 35K miles. The oem broke (was split in thirds) after admittedly spirited driving and over revving, but to have another go in 35K miles strikes me as not normal for our driving habits today. We have toned it down and the car is more of a daily driver now. So if it is a new clutch what do all of you recommend?

The car is heavily modded and does pull a dynoed 200whp, so we will want something beefy, but it is a commuter car now so I don't want my wife developing a serious left leg muscle.

I've gone back to the mechanic, after some research and asked him to look at the master/slave hydraulic cylinder because I'm not sure it does need a new clutch, flywheel, etc since it pulls and engages well, it just really difficult to get into 2nd and 3rd gear. He's looking at that but if he comes back with his original diagnosis, then I'd like to have given some thought to what to put in this time.

Thanks in advance for any responses. Rgds, Mike

BTW anyone in Chicago land, especially the Northshore, see my other thread about a MINI mechanic, I'm certainly going for a second opinion on this repair.