Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hard brake lines (pipes?) under driver side very rusted. Replacement identification?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:30 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by robj
Wow!!! Thanks for looking and sharing that. I've been wondering what it would cost. It's probably $2500 today. I feel a lot better about my investment it time at that price. The materials were about $50. A coil of tube and a few fittings.

Thanks again,
robj
i called that one ☝️

Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 AM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rwkeating
Hold everything. I was way off! I just looked it up and the entire brake line replacement with parts and labor cost about $2200.00 This was back in 2015. I sure could have used you as a local friend back then
whoa that's a lot. I just need the hard lines on my R53 replaced, the lines going to the master cylinder and to each disc are fine, but the hard line underneath is rusting out.. looks like the section that is almost going behind the fuel tank is pretty corroded too. Should i expect to pay up to $2500 as well??

Old 07-06-2020, 12:30 PM
robj
4th Gear
Received 284 Likes on 174 Posts
Vast,

I believe that was the cost from a dealer. [in 2015] I think a "regular " shop would be a bit less. But, having done it myself it is quite a bit of work with all the componits that need to be removed.
The pre-bent lines are NLA so no matter who you go to they're going to have to bend the lines. I have quite a few photos of what I did on my "Bargain $500 Mini" thread so you can get an idea what it entails.
I was on the ground using jack stands and a lift would have made it a little easier but it took me about a week of every evening. Not an easy job especially if you want it as neat as the factory did it.
If you get it done at an independent shop, please post what you end up paying for the job.
I would avoid the dealer unless you have a fat wallet.
It's funny how the rear portion of the lines rust so much and the front not at all.

robj

Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
@robj you are correct, the price I listed above was from a dealership back in 2015.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:06 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robj
Vast,

I believe that was the cost from a dealer. [in 2015] I think a "regular " shop would be a bit less. But, having done it myself it is quite a bit of work with all the componits that need to be removed.
The pre-bent lines are NLA so no matter who you go to they're going to have to bend the lines. I have quite a few photos of what I did on my "Bargain $500 Mini" thread so you can get an idea what it entails.
I was on the ground using jack stands and a lift would have made it a little easier but it took me about a week of every evening. Not an easy job especially if you want it as neat as the factory did it.
If you get it done at an independent shop, please post what you end up paying for the job.
I would avoid the dealer unless you have a fat wallet.
It's funny how the rear portion of the lines rust so much and the front not at all.

robj
Thanks for the reply robj!
I probably will get the parts through the dealer at least- will they pre-bend for you? Also, I can't seem to find the part number for the hard line on realoem or kennesaw, does anyone have links for an R53? Thanks all!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
They are all linked above on the post #15.

They are not pre bent, i have done this on my MINI with Genuine MINI brake lines and then fluid and that tool.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
thevastdifference (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM
robj
4th Gear
Received 284 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by thevastdifference
Thanks for the reply robj!
I probably will get the parts through the dealer at least- will they pre-bend for you? Also, I can't seem to find the part number for the hard line on realoem or kennesaw, does anyone have links for an R53? Thanks all!
Vast,
I've not heard of anyone pre-bending the brake lines. I looked at all the aftermarket resources I've used in the past and none list Mini's.

I'm actually not sure why you would get the lines from the dealer as they are just a straight section of steel brake line that you can get at your nearest auto parts store. You'll just pay twice as much money for the lines.
Also, as opposed to steel, or stainless steel I would humbly [strongly] suggest using nickel-copper lines. They have great corrosion resistance and are much, much easier to bend than steel lines. In fact all but the tightest bends can be done by hand.

For the inexperienced the hardest part is getting the correct "bubble flare". You CANNOT use a single flare on brake lines.

I did a post in "Hatch Talk" separate from my build thread as I thought others might find it helpful

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-really.html

Please do not take offense as none is intended and I don't know what your skill level is. But after looking at the brake line post if you have any doubts about your ability to do this correctly either find help from someone who does have the experience or pay a garage. I'm 68 and have been fixing stuff since probably 10 years old, rebuilding engines, full paint jobs, restoring antique motorcycles, you name it and this isn't a plug and play type of task. It was a little fiddly to say the least.
After all it is brakes we're talking about.

If you are comfortable with doing this I'm sure everyone on the forum, myself included will be happy to help in anyway possible.
robj

The following 2 users liked this post by robj:
ssoliman (07-08-2020), thevastdifference (07-09-2020)