Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

F03, Fuse will not stop blowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:14 AM
greystreak
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F03, Fuse will not stop blowing

Hey mini friends,

I'm new to the forum and want to thank you guys for allowing to join this forum.

Now i need a little help, i have an 02 mini cooper s , 6 speed , it has a 2% crank pulley and an k&n intake but other than that it is stock .

But here recently every time i crank the car the F03 fuse keeps blowing .

I get these codes

P0445 Evap. Emission System Purge Control Valve Shorted

P0031 H02s Heater Control circuit low bank 1 sensor 1

P0037 H02s Heater Control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2

P0340 Camshaft Position sensor A Circuit Bank 1 or Single sensor

also my DSC light comes on and will not go off

It seems to have started in the rain one day i hit a puddle and when i got to the work and cut the car off everything was fine and when i cranked it up i had all these codes and the fuse was blown and also my a/c had quit . well after some looking i replaced the fuse and it lasted for a while but the time it lasted kept on getting shorter till finally every time you put a fuse in it and crank it , it pops. i have done several searches and haven't found any real way to diagnose the problem or the right way to go.any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks for the help
Motor on

Old 01-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
let's start simple

what does F03 cover?

hmmmm Haynes lists no F03, but an F3 in both fuse panels .... which one is blowing?

F3 of the in the car panel says it covers electric mirrors and clock .... this is 5A

F3 in the engine compartment says it cover "engine control" .. this is a 15A

did water find its way into the engine compartment fuse box?????

Old 01-16-2016, 01:30 PM
greystreak
Neutral
thanks for the reply.

its the one under the hood, ive seen that it covers the ac relay , evap sensor , o2 sensors, camshaft position sensor and some people say the engine fan

as the water i thought the same thing but it gradually got worse i would have thought it would have been blowing constantly if it was water related ?

i also wonder if maybe the power steering fan is on that fuse?

again thanks for the reply and help

Old 01-16-2016, 01:31 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I have on a fuse list downloaded from one of the forums:
Fuse F3 (15A) is connected to: Camshaft position sensor, O2 sensor before cat, O2 sensor after cat, fuel tank ventilation valve solenoid, relay K19 control power

Originally Posted by greystreak
P0445 Evap. Emission System Purge Control Valve Shorted
Since this is identified as shorted, it's a good place to start. This is the component described as "fuel tank ventilation" above. This going out could also cause the P0340 code. I would try replacing this first. It is cheap and very easy to access on top of the engine compartment.

BMW/MINI calls the purge valve a "breather valve". Item #1: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...77#13907572086

This is actually a generic, interchangeable part used by multiple manufacturers, and you can get it much cheaper than the MINI OEM: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ent-valve.html

Old 01-16-2016, 01:36 PM
greystreak
Neutral
thanks for the reply

that's a really good idea it being shorted i guess it could blow that fus eand show all the other issues?

i read on another forum that the water could have shorted the power steering fan and it would blow that fuse but i don't see where its connected to that fuse ?

thanks for the help

Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
can't argue with that . . .

Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM
50shadesofr53
1st Gear
Originally Posted by greystreak
thanks for the reply

that's a really good idea it being shorted i guess it could blow that fus eand show all the other issues?

i read on another forum that the water could have shorted the power steering fan and it would blow that fuse but i don't see where its connected to that fuse ?

thanks for the help
bringing this one back from the dead!
I can't seem to find a clear answer as to what else could cause the f03 to blow, two new o2 sensors, no codes after I replaced them, now the fuse just blows any time I lay into the gas real good. I've searched and searched and can't find a clear answanswer, I've stripped the engine harness right down to where everything ties together absolutely zero bare wires. So, would a bad cam sensor cause the fuse to blow on heavy acceleration?

I've had this car for over a year and now this!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Khai
2nd Gear
For anyone still dealing with this issue, my oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter had its wires burnt or frayed where it crosses by the low pressure power steering hoses. I fixed the wiring and now my cam sensor/fuel tank urge valve/o2 sensor work again and the fuse doesn't blow.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 PM
gresh
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 50shadesofr53
bringing this one back from the dead!
I can't seem to find a clear answer as to what else could cause the f03 to blow, two new o2 sensors, no codes after I replaced them, now the fuse just blows any time I lay into the gas real good. I've searched and searched and can't find a clear answer, I've stripped the engine harness right down to where everything ties together absolutely zero bare wires. So, would a bad cam sensor cause the fuse to blow on heavy acceleration?

I've had this car for over a year and now this!
I am having the same problem with my 2006 R52. I know exactly whats causing it to blow, but I dont know how to get after fixing it. Did you ever find out what was causing? For me, I replaced the entire transmission because I thought that was the problem, come to find out, when I do the adaptations for the CVT and I go through the driving adaptation, when the car kicks out of adaptation mode, the fuse blows, throwing all sorts of errors. It happens every time. I did replace the TCM with a brand new one, so I dont think thats the problem. once the fuse blows, I get a transmission error in the ECU (error in transmission management). Once I replace the fuse, it goes away, but the transmission has a EP error because the adaptations didnt set correctly. Its a real pain.