Snapped Convertible Top Cable - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped Convertible Top Cable

Old 01-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Neutral

Snapped Convertible Top Cable

Hi guys. A small piece of plastic snapped off of the driver's side convertible top when I was opening it one day. Didn't think too much of it and kept on my way. I did start to hear a significant amount of wind noise coming in from what sounded like the driver's side window. I tried snugging up the window and it didn't solve the problem. So when i got home I took a look at it and noticed that there was a cable sticking out of the top.

Small cable sticking out above the window.

There is the snapped cable.

Any idea on if this is fixable without replacing my entire top? I have seen some of the repair videos for the latch cables but I think this is farther back in the system. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Vendor

Are you able to put your top down? The convertible top cables have been known to separate from the front of the base. Unfortunately, you have to buy both the convertible top cables as they come in a set HERE. I did find this thread on NAM here where an individual was selling the single cable for the drivers side, but it was a few months ago. Might see if he still has it. You can also try and post up a thread or do a search to see if someone else might be selling one of theirs.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Neutral

Thank you for the reply, but isn't that the part that this cable would connect to? I believe that the cable in my picture is the backside connection of the one you showed. The one in my picture is not wrapped in a spring like the one you linked. I could be wrong, but could you clarify?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Vendor

Correct, sorry wasn't looking closely. So it looks as if it is the left tensioner rope. It keeps the sides of the top snug, which is probably why you hear more noise now. Rope is HERE if needed, #11 on the diagram below. I would suggest tying fishing line to the old one before you pull it out to make it easier to get back in, a heavy test like 8-10 lb line would be good.

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 01-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaki View Post
Hi guys. A small piece of plastic snapped off of the driver's side convertible top when I was opening it one day. Didn't think too much of it and kept on my way. I did start to hear a significant amount of wind noise coming in from what sounded like the driver's side window. I tried snugging up the window and it didn't solve the problem. So when i got home I took a look at it and noticed that there was a cable sticking out of the top.

Small cable sticking out above the window.

There is the snapped cable.

Any idea on if this is fixable without replacing my entire top? I have seen some of the repair videos for the latch cables but I think this is farther back in the system. Thanks!
I have the same thing in my R52 and fixed on the cable side, make sure the tabs on that side are in place ( mine bent, but did not break ) , they can get bent and then the tension rope pop out and busts the end , the cable connects under the fabric and pulls the top tight when the sunroof position is closed. 54347079877

But what you have is the cable just popped out and frayed the wire. The wire have a little plastic cover on the end and fits back into place. twist the wire back in place, put the top back a hair in sunroof potion and reinsert the cable just like the other side. Other wise you will need a new cable is anything is broken underneath.

As a R52 convertible owner I have worked on these many times.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
I have the same thing in my R52 and fixed on the cable side, make sure the tabs on that side are in place ( mine bent, but did not break ) , they can get bent and then the tension rope pop out and busts the end , the cable connects under the fabric and pulls the top tight when the sunroof position is closed. 54347079877

But what you have is the cable just popped out and frayed the wire. The wire have a little plastic cover on the end and fits back into place. twist the wire back in place, put the top back a hair in sunroof potion and reinsert the cable just like the other side. Other wise you will need a new cable is anything is broken underneath.

As a R52 convertible owner I have worked on these many times.
Thanks! I did just that. Except I roughed up those metal tabs and added some JB Weld to it. That thing shouldn't come out anymore!

Re-inserted the rope into the bracket.

Added some JB Weld to make sure that it didn't come out. I even added some to the other side as a precautionary measure.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:11 AM
Platinum Sponsor

You are welcome. Yea that's a quick fix, should hold now , That cable pulls very tigt and i think over years it works its way out. Mine did it on the same side also. The right side looks fine.

If you need anythings else for the Convertible , let me know. I also have a Hot Orange also, but with a blue top.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

I need to keep you on speed dial for my R52.

What kind of lubrication do you use and where. Seems to be lots of points that could use some.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Platinum Sponsor

yep. Kind of the Convertible MINI go to person here. 255K and going strong.

Sunroof grease, on the all sliders and cables. Just a tad. Clean any and add old grim off first and re-grease.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2194672/

Then wd 40 or any general spray lube lube on the pivot points of the metal frame on the convertible top.

Gummi Fledge on the rubber weather stripping.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear

+1 on the Einszett Gummi Pflege
I usually use WD40 as a solvent/cleaner. Something, like tri-flow might be better.
I didn't know about sunroof grease. Thanks for the tip
Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Welcome.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Neutral

cable came loose

Hi y'all. Here's a pic of my disaster. Can it be fixed?

Passenger side--the cable popped out of it's slot.

This is the driver side. You can see that there's no cable showing.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM

Suggest you do some searches in this subforum, the Stock Problems/Issues and the DIY. I know there is a thread here on NAM where the cables broke and the guy fixed them with JB Weld or something. I have spotty internet as I am up in the hills on vacation otherwise I would find you the link.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Neutral

Ok, thanks. I'll look for it.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Looks like It popped out of the tube or the tube broke, I will have to take a look at mine and check things out.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Neutral

Ok, thanks for checking into it. What do those cables do, anyway?