North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Please help!!fuel leaking after changing fuel filter (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/292551-please-help-fuel-leaking-after-changing-fuel-filter.html)

PhoR53 08-29-2015 10:10 AM

Please help!!fuel leaking after changing fuel filter

1 Attachment(s)
I changed my fuel filter yesterday. Everything went well,and i put all the components back together. Started the car and saw gas leaking out between the "green" connector and the filter cover. I snugged the connector to the filter cover very tight. But gas still leaking from that junction. Anyone has any ideas? Im thinking to buy a new filter cover and replace the connector.

David.R53 08-29-2015 03:31 PM

There are orings on the female side of those connectors - yours probably fell out, broke, etc. I would check that first. No idea if you can buy them individually.

Be careful with the fuel - not something to troubleshoot in your garage...

PelicanParts.com 09-01-2015 09:47 AM

May just need to review all the components. We have a tech article here for the filter replacement, which provides some good detailed photos. Maybe look over them and compare to see possibly if something is missing or broken.

ECSTuning 09-01-2015 11:50 AM

I see a part # for that connection. Its 16146758282 , replace it or see it its the line. Otherwise you will have to replace the whole unit. If its the o ring you can maybe match it up.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16146758282/

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...4384674a1c.jpg

Here is the fuel filter for the R50 R52 R53 MINI Gen 1.

Fuel Filter Kit. Part number 16146757196

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/16146757196/

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/13757_x600.jpg

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/y/j/196.png

The ring can be removed with constantly tapping it out. Flat head screw driver works pretty good.

Here is your DIY thread for the fuel filter for Gen 1 MINIs.

Click here for a great how to thread.

Khal 08-30-2016 08:29 PM

Same issue

Originally Posted by PhoR53 (Post 4118316)
I changed my fuel filter yesterday. Everything went well,and i put all the components back together. Started the car and saw gas leaking out between the "green" connector and the filter cover. I snugged the connector to the filter cover very tight. But gas still leaking from that junction. Anyone has any ideas? Im thinking to buy a new filter cover and replace the connector.

HI,
Seem like you have same issue that I am having now. Today I replaced mine replacement process went smooth since I did it through manual. Started the car and later when I was trying to put the back seat one I realized I am having some leak from the same place "green connector that goes in the filter cover". I tried a couple of times the take it out and put it back on but the still exist. How did you fix yours did yours please share so I can fix mine too.

ECSTuning 08-31-2016 12:31 PM

Replace that green clip , it might be busted. Worth a shot.

greatfrog 08-03-2017 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by PhoR53 (Post 4118316)

Hi, how did you get it resolved? I just replaced the filter today on my R56 and am having exactly the same leak from the same connector.

Funny that I found a yellow o-ring laying on the carpet and it fits on the male connector perfectly! Is it part of the sealing? Did anyone see the yellow o-ring when you disassemble your fuel filter?

Thanks!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...aa770aaf8e.jpg

dmrispoli 10-11-2018 08:16 AM

I did this recently and am having leak issues, I forgot to mark the place for my lockdown ring to torque it back down to the same spot so I suspect that is my source. Anyone know if/how I can get it right beyond trial and error? Can it be 'too tight?' I am thinking it can be too tight and push the cannister-to-tank rubber ring out of alignment (if not down into the tank).

greatfrog 10-11-2018 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by dmrispoli (Post 4425657)
I did this recently and am having leak issues, I forgot to mark the place for my lockdown ring to torque it back down to the same spot so I suspect that is my source. Anyone know if/how I can get it right beyond trial and error? Can it be 'too tight?' I am thinking it can be too tight and push the cannister-to-tank rubber ring out of alignment (if not down into the tank).

I think you can just torque it to spec with a torque wrench, no need to go by the lockdown ring marks.

dmrispoli 10-12-2018 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by greatfrog (Post 4425701)
I think you can just torque it to spec with a torque wrench, no need to go by the lockdown ring marks.

Thanks for the reply. You can do that if you have the tool. I have not looked for it specifically but it has not popped up (in searches or videos) either.

I actually fixed my leak by realizing I had caused it by not seating the cannister-to-tank rubber ring properly. I used the marks that I made on the ring the first time I opened it to see (roughly) where the ring had been before I began the repair and turned it to that general spot and it stopped leaking.

MiniClub 12-03-2018 06:05 PM

Hello all, I am having the same issue of leaking after filter replacement. I believe mine is leaking from the fuel line connection. My green connector looks fine. Has anyone had any luck changing out the two orings inside the filter housing top? One is Yellow and the other is brown. There is a plastic ring between them to separate them. I have tried replacing them with metric orings from a kit I had but it just leaked worse. I’m hoping to get this resolved soon. Maybe a part number for the correct orings? Why is one yellow and one brown?

dmrispoli 12-05-2018 08:14 PM

I thought when I did mine that it was the clip, but I was wrong. My culprit when I did my filter and it leaked was the large 'floppy' ring that mates the filter housing to the opening. It has to be seated PERFECTLY to not leak, and I dont know about anyone else, but it seemed like it was a teensy bit too big for the opening so it was very squirrelly.

Soul Coughing 12-06-2018 05:45 AM

Don't forget to use vaseline to lubricate all the gaskets. It makes putting in the new filter so much easier. My issue I had was not clicking (turning it clockwise) the plastic top on all the way; the car primed but would not start until i realized i hadn't turned the top a quarter of an inch further.

Tgriffithjr 12-06-2018 05:56 AM

I changed my filter recently and noticed a small amount of fuel on top of the canister under the fuel line connection (green clip). The clip was fine. I changed the filter and used petroleum jelly on all seals before replacement. Petroleum jelly is a safe product for assembly of parts and is even used in auto trans assembly. Before reinserting the fuel line, where I believe my leak was originating. I took a small piece of 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lightly, emphasis lightly, sanded the end of the fuel line. Just wrap the paper around the fuel line and rotate the paper a few times. Don’t squeeze hard as you are seeking to just clean up and make a smooth surface. I plugged the line back in making sure the clip snapped in place (took some effort), and so far no leak. I believe the light sanding served to just raise the surface enough to make a slightly tighter seal. I know it seems counter intuitive but I’ve had success with this on other sealing surfaces where the tolerance is tight. I don’t believe the two sealing rings in the canister are replaceable so you would need to purchase a new unit to get those two seals (another example of German overengineering). Good luck.

wow! I just saw the above post which was created while I was typing mine. Great minds think alike (Vaseline hint)!

pakman424 03-10-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by greatfrog (Post 4319988)
Hi, how did you get it resolved? I just replaced the filter today on my R56 and am having exactly the same leak from the same connector.

Funny that I found a yellow o-ring laying on the carpet and it fits on the male connector perfectly! Is it part of the sealing? Did anyone see the yellow o-ring when you disassemble your fuel filter?

Thanks!

Did you find out any info on this? I replaced my fuel filter and bought a new green clip. Still seems to be loosing fuel at that part. I didn't see any o-rings like the yellow one. Did that yellow o-ring go on after the green clip?

greatfrog 03-10-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by pakman424 (Post 4455703)
Did you find out any info on this? I replaced my fuel filter and bought a new green clip. Still seems to be loosing fuel at that part. I didn't see any o-rings like the yellow one. Did that yellow o-ring go on after the green clip?

I left it alone and it cured itself in a few days. It was just minor seeping to begin with, and I guess the dust in the air mixing with the fuel sealed it up over time. I didn't end up replacing any o-ring or connector. I believe the yellow o-ring came from some other random place, it is not part of the fuel line.

pakman424 03-10-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by greatfrog (Post 4455777)
I left it alone and it cured itself in a few days. It was just minor seeping to begin with, and I guess the dust in the air mixing with the fuel sealed it up over time. I didn't end up replacing any o-ring or connector. I believe the yellow o-ring came from some other random place, it is not part of the fuel line.

I'll go back over my fuel filter housing and reset it in once more, I may add a o-ring just to see if it helps. If it doesn't fix it I'll check or cracks on the top of the housing. After I replaced the fuel filter the first time everything felt perfect. I was getting great mpg, with no fuel loss. Now I have to deal with the smell. It builds up in the top of the housing.

Brad Strom 04-10-2019 02:07 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...b1b131ce51.jpg
I messed up and put a rod where it wasn't suppose to go. That popped out the plastic piece and the o rings. My Dad then helped me out by dropping the plastic piece into the void just in front of the fuel filter housing. Dealership does not sell those pieces so I had to buy the whole filter housing. Then I just put the new top on it to keep it simple and to not risk damaging the o rings by pulling them out of the new housing. Here's a picture of the new o rings and plastic piece in their proper order if it helps anyone.

JoeyF 04-25-2019 02:15 PM

So i have an issue with my car now. It runs totally fine, but i keep getting a "check gas cap" light. I could definatly smell raw fuel so i popped the cover back off (i did the filter a while back, but haven't driven the car since) upon inspection i found the top of the housing coated in gas.

I made the mistake of removing the fuel line, it was pressurized. Shot gas right in my eye... burns like a mutha F'er! Seeing as it had that much pressure after sitting a few hours i am assuming thats not the culprit.

I tightened the retaining a bit more. I noticed it was not lined up with my marks i made.

Then cleaned the housing and let the car run for about 5 minutes. No visible leaks. Car still runs like a top. However i still have the "check gas cap" light on. Could the housing be causing the light? Or was that just another issue that neededd attention?

Any suggestions?

Tgriffithjr 04-27-2019 06:13 AM

How old is the gas cap? Might need to replace it. Could also be a leak in the evap system.

NC TRACKRAT 04-29-2019 05:54 AM

Have you tried clearing the code or disconnecting and re-connecting the battery to see if it goes away?

RKLMINI 04-06-2020 07:17 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. I think this is what happened on ours--seemed very difficult to seat the container down into the tank. We'll try again tomorrow.
cheers,
R

Olivier 02-18-2021 05:33 PM

I had the same issue that you did...
I could not understand why this was leaking. If I tried to put the O ring on the make connector, I could not get the green clip to clip in place correctly.

After a few tries, I figured there is a black ring inside the head fuel fuel assembly (inside the female connector). The yellow o ring is suppose to be behind the black ring.
You need to remove the back ring gently with a screwdriver.
Then put the black ring on male connector then slide the yellow o ring on the connector as well.
This means you will have the following order green clip/black ring/yellow o Ring. Slide the male connector until the green clip clips in place.
You should then have no leak!

Originally Posted by greatfrog (Post 4319988)

Thanks!

ashybebe 05-30-2022 10:36 PM

Help!!! Gas leask at fuel filter houseing connection

Originally Posted by Olivier (Post 4574603)
I had the same issue that you did...
I could not understand why this was leaking. If I tried to put the O ring on the make connector, I could not get the green clip to clip in place correctly.

After a few tries, I figured there is a black ring inside the head fuel fuel assembly (inside the female connector). The yellow o ring is suppose to be behind the black ring.
You need to remove the back ring gently with a screwdriver.
Then put the black ring on male connector then slide the yellow o ring on the connector as well.
This means you will have the following order green clip/black ring/yellow o Ring. Slide the male connector until the green clip clips in place.
You should then have no leak!

This is exactly where i am in my fuel filter change. Anyone have a video or a simple way of explaining this to me. I’m scared to use the flat head on the hard plastic peice (black first part looking in) i went and found a metric o ring set.

I’m going to try it if i dont get any feedback in time…. I’m assuming remove the hard plastic peice put it on the hose itself? Then the o ring on the hose itself? I want to say there are 3 components that are supposed to be inside of it..

ashybebe 05-30-2022 10:37 PM

How did you resolve this. I’m having the same issue