Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Rear Ended by Uninsured Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:01 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were stopped at a stop light. It was raining. We'd been stopped there for around 30 seconds, and a person came up behind us and couldn't stop. They slid into us. The impact wasn't all that bad. It didn't throw us forward. They actually hit the bumper and slid up on top of it a little ways. There is only cosmetic damage to the bumper. It's cracked and scratched. I was sick over it after it happen…on my birthday of all days. I bought this MINI new 9 years ago, and I've taken great care of this car. We just put a new engine in it a few months ago.

Anyway, they didn't have insurance.

Estimate = $1200

My deducible is $1000, so I see no point in raising my premium over $200.

The couple that rear ended us said they'd help, and they gave me their contact info. However, if they can't afford to pay for insurance, I don't see how they can help me pay for a bumper. We'll see.

I'm thinking about replacing the bumper myself in order to save a little $$$$. I found the painted OEM bumper here: http://parts.miniofkennesaw.com/show...ssembly=265246

Is it difficult to remove the rear bumper? Also, is there anyone out there who can explain all the different parts to me? Besides the bumper, what exactly do I need? (I see items like "set of mounted parts," but it doesn't explain what that is or if I need it.)

Thank you all!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Depending on how hard they hit you you may only need the cover. You'd have to take it off to see if anything else behind there needs replacing. Did you call the police? I had that happeñ to me years ago and I personally think they should impound their car till they pay to fix your car and or auction their car and give you the money to fix your car and if anything else is left over the police can do with it whatever they do with those kinds of funds.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:23 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Take them to court they'll have to pay for it. Why are they driving without insurance that's just ridiculous.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:34 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Are you sure it's only $1200 worth of damage? Once you get it apart, might be more like $5000 worth, it doesn't take much on these cars. Hope you got a police report and the other driver cited, that $1000 deductible might start looking pretty good..

Old 07-19-2015, 04:44 AM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
If you have a 'small claims court' in your jurisdiction, use it to collect your damages. Also, check your policy, there may be no detectable for 'uninsured' motorists...

Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 AM
ti_tony
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Double check your policy, almost all have uninsured driver, that's also no deductible on your part. Happened to me in the mid 90's and I had basically minimum coverage.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:26 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uninsured motorist applies to injuries, not physical damage. Double check with your agent. Most insurance companies will not raise your rates because of a claim resulting from an accident that was not your fault.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:10 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Thank you for all the quick replies.

Honestly, I don't have time to deal with a lawsuit. I know it sounds crazy, but my time and sanity are worth more than the money I would get from a lawsuit. It's too much hassle at this point.

There isn't a police report. We called the police right after it happened, but they took around an hour to get there. The people that hit us waited for around 30 minutes, then they gave me their info and left. I couldn't tackle them and hold them hostage. The officer wouldn't make any kind of report.

My policy covers uninsured motorists. I've already called them and reported the accident. They put the claim on hold until I decide what I'm going to do. They said my premium would go up if I go through with the claim. (We just switched insurance companies a year ago. I'm kind of wishing we hadn't.)

The damage is minimal. I know there's no way to know for sure without removing the bumper, but they barely hit us. I can push the plastic in and feel the metal fully intact. I did this all the way across the bumper.

I'm fairly certain I can do this work. I may just call MINI of Kennesaw tomorrow and talk to them, and see if I can get a better idea of what I need. I'll take the bumper off before I order the parts just to be sure.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:39 PM
N2MINI
6th Gear
All kinds of stuff here at play. First off they left the scene of an accident!!! 2nd. Your premium shouldn't go up for this. 3rd cops should be looking for these people assuming you got their tag number?? Apparently you have plenty of spare money if it is too much trouble to go after them. If that's the case just take it to the shop and pay whatever they charge to fix it... And move on...

Old 07-19-2015, 12:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Sue them...that is if they don't pay you 100% plus the cost of a loaner...
Get a judgement....
Till they pay you, they will have $$ issues getting an new place to live, some jobs, a loan, etc...
I live in a state where insurance is optional.....
But it comes with great risk...and be sure to ask for extra $$ when you sue them....
Might be small claims, but still, take a stand.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:53 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
P.S.
"HELP" you pay for a bumper...lol...
They think it is a $50 part...or will say "can't you get a junkyard part"... As you see their car with 4 different color parts barely running...
Sometimes you just have to be a mean SOB and make folks grow up....
They will learn their lesson..they save $500 by not buying insurance...
Now they will lay $1500 for repairs. And a ticket, and get insurance....

Old 07-19-2015, 02:19 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
P.S. "HELP" you pay for a bumper...lol... They think it is a $50 part...or will say "can't you get a junkyard part"... As you see their car with 4 different color parts barely running... Sometimes you just have to be a mean SOB and make folks grow up.... They will learn their lesson..they save $500 by not buying insurance... Now they will lay $1500 for repairs. And a ticket, and get insurance....
I agree completely their negligence has to end, better you teach them a lesson and prevent someone else from dealing with a similar issue. I didn't know some states insurance was optional, that's alarming.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Lt. Dan
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait- the people that hit you left before the cops showed up, AND the officer wouldn't file a report?!?!?!

They should have been charged with Hit and Run, or leaving the scene of an accident- This in no way would have effected your rates.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Thank you for all the responses. It's definitely a frustrating situation. I was shocked by the officer's response as well. He basically, in a round about way, told me he had more important things to do. He said, "You should just be thankful no one was hurt." He acted like he was irritated at me for calling the police, and he told me that this kind of thing needs to be worked out with the other driver. He then apparently ran my tag through his computer...I'm assuming to make sure I was on the up and up. I told him I had their info, but he wasn't interested.

This whole thing has shaken my faith in the system. I later found a statistic that said 24% of Oklahomans don't carry insurance. I've been driving for 20 years and never caused an accident. I've always carried insurance, but I've never used it. (Besides one hail damage claim.) My insurance agent told me that my insurance will go up if I go through with the claim.

I definitely do not have money laying around, but time is not on my side. I need to have this fixed before school starts. I'm a band director, and I'm working on my Ph.D. Those two things allow little time for court and whatnot. Once August hits, things get real crazy for me, and I can't see this thing being resolved very quickly that way.

The way I see it, I have 2 options.

1. They pay for all of it...even if they pay for most of it, I can live with that. Justice won't be served, but I'll have my MINI back to the way it was.

2. I make the claim and dish out $1000. My insurance will sue them, but I will never get my deductible back...unless I take them to court for it. That could be a mess.

I like the first option, because it's initially cheaper. It also might allow me to be finished before school starts. I leave Tuesday for a week-long conference, so the way I'm seeing it, I only have a small window of time to get this finished.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and get a more concrete number. Then, I'll call the person that hit me and see what they want to do. I suppose I'll go from there. I'll post what I find out tomorrow. Thank you everyone!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
Wait- the people that hit you left before the cops showed up, AND the officer wouldn't file a report?!?!?!

Want to bet he didn't get the officers name either.. many holes in this story.

Next time remind the officer that you will need his report to establish your uninsured claim.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Heck if they left before the cops got there he ( the cop ) doesn't know for a fact that anyone actually hit him.. Could have happened anytime..

Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If the estimate was for $1200, I doubt that the bumper support was included unless it was a discount body shop. If that's the case, and you can get a painted bumper cover, it's definitely a DIY project. Go for it!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Sorry to hear this. As long as you pull off the bumper cover and nothing under it is damaged, like the bumper frame mount. The Pre Painted bumper are NLA. 51120029957 , hope its

Just the primed version and call around to get a quote. 51121177902 w/o PDC

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51121177902/

#ecs

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51112311963/

The set of mounting parts are new clips and screw, sometimes the old one break when you take them off.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I replaced the bumper cover (upgrade to the JCW version) in my 2013 and it took all of 30 minutes, ok maybe 45. Total of 9 fasteners.

Do it yourself and forget that it even happened.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:07 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
UPDATE: You guys were right. I haven't been able to get in touch with the other driver, so I did not get it fixed yet. Our 4Runner ended up needing repairs, so the MINI will have to wait. Also, the front end has paint chipping, so I'm going to attempt to fix that over Thanksgiving Break. We'll see how that goes. I'll post pics somewhere on here. If it goes well, I may feel brave enough to go after the bumper myself. :P

Old 11-08-2015, 05:19 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just repaired my rear bumper cover on my 2004 MCS after someone rear ended me. No structural damage just the bumper cover and the stripes on the hatch. The Mini repair shop estimate was $1800 to replace and paint the bumper cover. Note: there are two bumper versions for the R53 one with PDC (Parking Distance Control) the other without. I opted to do the repair myself using "rattle" spray paint from automotivetouchup.com (see thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ttle-cans.html ). It turned out pretty good, the color match was spot on. If you are a good DIY guy this may be an option. View Youtube videos on repainting with spray cans to familiarize with the technique. My total cost out of pocket was about $50-$70 for the paint and supplies.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniSuperCooper
UPDATE: You guys were right. I haven't been able to get in touch with the other driver, so I did not get it fixed yet. Our 4Runner ended up needing repairs, so the MINI will have to wait. Also, the front end has paint chipping, so I'm going to attempt to fix that over Thanksgiving Break. We'll see how that goes. I'll post pics somewhere on here. If it goes well, I may feel brave enough to go after the bumper myself. :P
That stinks, hope you can get it repaired.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-09-2015, 08:36 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
I had someone hit my Honda ( that I traded for the MINI ) that had no insurance. Had cop come out and do a report as these guys stayed there and didn't run off so I had a police report and my insurance covered it under my " non insured" clause of my insurance and my premiums didn't go up. At that point it is up to my insurance to go after the people that hit my car..

Old 11-09-2015, 10:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kaneguy
I just repaired my rear bumper cover on my 2004 MCS after someone rear ended me. No structural damage just the bumper cover and the stripes on the hatch. The Mini repair shop estimate was $1800 to replace and paint the bumper cover. Note: there are two bumper versions for the R53 one with PDC (Parking Distance Control) the other without. I opted to do the repair myself using "rattle" spray paint from automotivetouchup.com (see thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ttle-cans.html ). It turned out pretty good, the color match was spot on. If you are a good DIY guy this may be an option. View Youtube videos on repainting with spray cans to familiarize with the technique. My total cost out of pocket was about $50-$70 for the paint and supplies.
+1 Did a very good job with the paint.

If you don't want to buy a new one 51121177902, you can search on www.car-part.com for a used one that may already be painted, or just need some touch up. I've gone this route before. Good luck.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST