North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Rattle Sound in Rear (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/282342-rattle-sound-in-rear.html)

CoolioMcPimp 01-16-2015 11:16 AM

Rattle Sound in Rear

I am hearing some rattling from what seems to be the left rear of the car. People have told me it's exhaust, but I don't believe it. It's way to rhythmic to be an exhaust rattle.

CoolioMcPimp 01-16-2015 11:18 AM

Not sure why that looks so bad and why there is two posts, but okay.

Saltysalt 01-16-2015 12:02 PM

does it change speed with changing speeds of the vehicle? I have a broken hanger part, sounds nothing like that

ZippyNH 01-16-2015 12:17 PM

Have you looked?
Might be an exaust rattle...
But could be a rear sway bar..
Can't see the vid... Won't play...

bneer 01-19-2015 12:46 PM

rattle

I too am having a shaking type rattle in rear of mini. Replaced four hangers but still have a noise that is getting annoying. Have new sway bar end links and a fairly new sway bar.

CoolioMcPimp 02-09-2015 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Saltysalt (Post 4033970)
does it change speed with changing speeds of the vehicle? I have a broken hanger part, sounds nothing like that

It seems to get more rapid the faster I go. On highway it rattles pretty fast. I have noticed that never hear it when breaking, so I wonder if I have a loose pad?

CoolioMcPimp 02-09-2015 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by ZippyNH (Post 4033979)
Have you looked?
Might be an exaust rattle...
But could be a rear sway bar..
Can't see the vid... Won't play...

I shook the exhaust and couldn't really get that sound to come out. Sway bar felt firm, but roads put a lot more pressure on the sway bar than I can. I also notice that it seems to stop while breaking? Maybe a loose pad slopping around?

CoolioMcPimp 02-09-2015 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by bneer (Post 4034994)
I too am having a shaking type rattle in rear of mini. Replaced four hangers but still have a noise that is getting annoying. Have new sway bar end links and a fairly new sway bar.

Have you ever checked for a loose brake pad? Or a loose hatch latch? I have heard of those two things, but haven't checked it myself.

CoolioMcPimp 02-12-2017 03:59 PM

Found the Source

Took my Mini in for repair over the summer. Needs a few things, but found out the sound that was made was actually from the exhaust. There is a metal strip welded to the center pipe almost right in the middle of the car. It breaks off the metal strip and leaves a gap where it can hit each side: |_ O _|

Just needs to be welded back in place. No big deal really.

bneer 02-23-2017 06:58 AM

rattle and pop and pull

Thanks for the information. My pop and rattle comes from the Megan coil overs. When the temperature drops to 50 or lower it they make popping sound rear ones only. When it warms up they get quiet.

*CharlieHustle 02-23-2017 03:43 PM

You should look further into the cause of the rattle. Coilovers shouldn't make noise like that regardless of temperature.

bneer 02-25-2017 08:39 AM

Rattle and pop and pull

Well they do.