Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Grump! Oil solenoid leaking--again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Grump! Oil solenoid leaking--again!

Well, phoo. With just under 33K miles, the oil pump solenoid is leaking. Again. They replaced it (plus the wiring harness, plus the t-stat housing) about two years ago--and it's leaking again.

I can't get it fixed today, because they don't have any loaner cars available and I can't really stay here (I'm in the lounge at the dealer) all day, so I will be making an appointment to come back later and have it fixed. At least it should be a free fix.

It's a bit disappointing that the same part has failed twice; I had assumed that the part that is currently in there had been improved.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I took mine out, it was very loose. Don't know if that has any thing to do with it. But the new improved part was tight. The end with the screens rotate very easy on the removed part. Also make sure they don't fix it with the fix wire.

Name:  3DC562BB-76A0-42E1-9CF6-EC30F98DF9EF-181-0000000A9E3D5EB9_zps67025d9e.jpg
Views: 2566
Size:  202.3 KB

Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Forgive me just curious, but isn't this related to the N18 engines?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I never remember which version of the engine is in my car. It's a 2012 Justa, so whichever that one is.

Jkapinos, thanks for the photo! Odd-looking thing there. What do you mean by "don't fix it with the fix wire"? I'm pretty sure they are going to replace the solenoid and at least part of the wiring harness--the SA said they'd replace the "pigtail". I'm hoping that means a complete and separate set of wires, not just something they splice in.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
I never remember which version of the engine is in my car. It's a 2012 Justa, so whichever that one is.

Jkapinos, thanks for the photo! Odd-looking thing there. What do you mean by "don't fix it with the fix wire"? I'm pretty sure they are going to replace the solenoid and at least part of the wiring harness--the SA said they'd replace the "pigtail". I'm hoping that means a complete and separate set of wires, not just something they splice in.

Well that just sucks. I have a 2013 Justa, did they put in a permanent fix for this problem before 2013 production started?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:48 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
R55 & R56 Justa's have the N12 engine.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've read in this forum that it generally happens to wide range of models 2011+

not very happy since this is happening again since i also had mind fix within this year. hopefully this incident is due to improper fix.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
wascobi
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 should have the N16 engine? what happens if you run the engine with the oil pump solenoid disconnected?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:26 AM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Don't disconnect the solenoid wire. There is the oil pump driven by a dedicated separate chain, then the oil pressure solenoid. The solenoid regulates oil pressure.
NAM member TREX post (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rograming.html) links to MOTORINGFILE's Gabriel Bridger's Prince engine description with controllable oil pressure details

http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/12/...nge_in_detail/

And the relevant text:
On-demand oil supply without any loss of oil.

Equipped with a volume flow-controlled oil pump, the new power units rank unique in their class also in terms of their oil supply.

Operating as a function of oil pressure, the external gear pump driven by a chain delivers precisely the amount of oil required under all operating conditions. In other words, there is no need for a bypass feeding back excess oil or extra volume not needed. Benefitting from this optimised on-demand management without any unnecessary energy or forces, the volume flow-controlled oil pump consumes up to 160 W less drive energy than a conventional pump, reducing fuel consumption in the European driving cycle by approximately 1 per cent. And under normal driving conditions with the car in the hands of a customer, the reduction in fuel consumption is far greater, with a power saving of 1.25 kW or 1.7 bhp at 6,000 rpm.

Looking at the oil filter, the development engineers have opted in favour of a solution highly beneficial to the environment. As a result, the oil filter is not a metal cartridge difficult to recycle as special waste, but rather a paper filter insert easy to dispose of from its usual position in an easily accessible aluminium case with a plastic cover on top.

With turbocharged engines being subject to significant thermal loads and forces, an oil/water heat exchanger integrated in the oil filter housing keeps the engine oil temperature at a safe level even when running under full load. A further point is that the heat exchanger, by heating up the coolant more quickly, shortens the warming-up period and reduces both fuel consumption and exhaust emissions in the process.

The engines are filled initially with 4.2 litres of light running oil, with 3.7 litres being required when changing oil.