North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Mini R56 cranks but won't start (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/260073-mini-r56-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

linmaster 10-23-2013 04:15 AM

Mini R56 cranks but won't start

I have an issue with my Mini Cooper 2007 R56 (150k km mileage). It has had this problem a month after replacing the clutch, but it seems to get worse now. Most of the time it starts successfully but sometimes it just cranks forever and not start, I push the stop button then it shows yellow steering lock warning light with exclamation mark for few seconds and immediately shows yellow cruise control light with exclamation mark. Eventually, it would start successfully and shows yellow engine malfunction light. Sometimes it cuts while driving and shows the same warning lights.

A month ago i took it to one BMW dealer, they could not find the problem on diagnosis. So they did full service (spark plugs, oil, brake fluid, air filter). Took it to another BMW dealer a few weeks ago, they replaced themostart and some oxygen sensor, whole job for $800. The same day after getting back my car, still has both starting and cutting issue. Took it back to them the following day, they still can't diagnose the problem. The car is not storing any faults they say. And they don't think it's the fuel pump. Anyone had similar problems before? Please help guys, I reli don't know what to do now.

AZdsrt 10-23-2013 09:24 AM

Guess here, but I'd bet on the fuel pump..

dmyer 10-23-2013 11:50 AM

When the fuel pump goes you should get an engine malfunction 1/2 power - I did.

aklucsarits 10-23-2013 01:33 PM

What did the dealer say the compression numbers look like?

linmaster 10-24-2013 01:13 AM

Their technical foreman drove the car arounnd and experienced the fault as well last evening. The car still stores no error. I guess its because the problem is intermittent. Now they want to strip down and measure the wiring (on my bill:confused:).

tim oneill 02-24-2014 05:57 PM

Linmaster, what was the outcome? Did they find the fault?

linmaster 02-25-2014 03:19 AM

They had to change both fuse boxes and the car was fine.....exept for the new ABS warning light. They claim the work they undertook wouldn't temper with the ABS pump (internal fault - pump needs replacement) ~ $2500.

tim oneill 02-25-2014 04:33 PM

My 07 has been in the shop for NINE weeks now and today they decided to replace the wiring harness but I've been saying all along that right before it stalls I hear a "click" under the drivers foot well (relay) on the fuse panel. Hopefully this nightmare will end soon.
Thanks for your reply back.

Maki 08-25-2018 10:11 AM

2009 mini hatch

Same problem Replaced R56 engine plug and play but engine wo’nt start has spark fuel and compression No one knows what the problem js could it be a faulty DNE ? Please help Joe

actasci 08-25-2018 01:11 PM

My problem was rear fuel pump. When it fails, engine will crank forever but wont start.

MiniToBe 09-01-2018 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Maki (Post 4416277)
Same problem Replaced R56 engine plug and play but engine wo’nt start has spark fuel and compression No one knows what the problem js could it be a faulty DNE ? Please help Joe

If you have spark and fuel why wouldn't it start unless you dont have compression!

Scan for codes. Also, make sure the crankshaft sensor is pluged, the ground starp is attached, the coil packs ground wire is attached.

Where you located?

loxlear 04-22-2024 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Maki (Post 4416277)

I have the same issue. Just rebuilt the engine new head, new pistons and rings, new timing belt. Car cranks, but wont fire up. It has spark, fuel and compression. How did you solve your issue?