Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

The case of the melting tail lights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Random6690
Honestly, i just paid them to replace it... But i made sure they added a note on the account about my disorientation that a FIRE HAZARD was not covered, warranty or otherwise. I didn't have it happen a second time, and i actually just sold my mini 3 weeks ago...

Unless you get a really caring service manager, not sure what other options there are... Had this happened a second time, i would have accepted no less than the dealership replacing every single light bulb housing on my car... I would have absolutely Karen'd the situation into oblivion.
You paid or they paid?

Old 10-12-2021, 02:57 PM
KBrowne
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely needs to be addressed and fixed by corporate

Originally Posted by kat1689
So a few weeks ago I noticed one of my brake lights was only lighting the top half of the circle that is usually lit. I figured I would replace the bulb and everything would go back to normal. Fast forward to last week, car was at the dealership to replace a bad alternator and they checked the bulb out for me. My SA calls to tell me it's not the bulb, it's the whole assembly, and it's melting. I couldn't believe my ears, did they seriously just tell me a part of my car is melting? No explanation as to why this might happen, what is causing it, they just say I have to replace the entire assembly to fix it. 2 days later, the other tail light does the EXACT same thing. I emailed my SA, asked what could be causing this and should I be concerned that my other light "melted" and caused the same exact issue, he claims "it's rare but it happens". I've been looking all over the internet to try and find any other instance of this happening but haven't come up with much. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Yes, this happened to us as well. This is the car my daughter uses most frequently. In preparation for a road trip, I stopped at the Portland, OR dealership because I had a warning indicating a light out. I could not tell which one. At the dealership, they found the one of the tail lights needed replacement in the tail light assembly. They showed me that replacing the bulb was impossible because the socket had melted around the bulb. According to the service people in OR, this is something they are familiar with and in fact, the new housing has been redesigned to address this issue. So two new tail lights later, we were back on the road. The people at the Portland dealership could not have been nicer or more helpful. This does seem like an issue that Mini owners need to know about and rectified on the part of BMW/Minis.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:43 AM
themsn
1st Gear
This was an amazing tutorial!
Thank you so much. You saved me from having to buy a tail light assembly.

Old 10-17-2021, 01:45 AM
themsn
1st Gear
This was an amazing tutorial!
Thank you so much. You saved me from having to buy a tail light assembly.

Originally Posted by ymi5150?
alright. just had the same problem and didnt consult this forum before addressing. my mistake.
Summary - you dont need to buy anything, unless you're looking for an excuse to buy aftermarket lenses. a few tools and you'll be over this silly issue.

tools
T20 torques driver
plastic trim tool
Xacto knife
ohm meter (optional)
patience to avoid snapping trim ring

Here are visual instructions. skill level is about a 2 on 10 scale. Image 9 is key. you'll see the plastic that melted and prevented contact. scrape that and you're good to go. root cause, probably poor contact. i didnt add conductive grease but you could and it would probably eliminate the issue.

Cheers