North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Trunk leaking water (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/240098-trunk-leaking-water.html)

2003minicooper 11-03-2012 12:05 PM

Trunk leaking water

I opened my trunk today, and water was shooting out of the left, and right side of the trunk from the panel. I don't see anyway water could get in from outside, but assuming its the top by the spoiler cause their is no rubber there other then the rubber sealing that area on top of the car. Not sure how I would go about fixing it, but I have read other people having water leak at the spoiler, and rear brake light, but not sure how I would find out, and fix that.

PaulWalliDumali 11-04-2012 02:14 AM

Same problem!!! Never looked into it yet. Please, someone help.

-=gRaY rAvEn=- 11-04-2012 03:55 AM

By "Trunk", are you referring to the hatch boot lid ?51247114521GASKET, TRUNK LID GRIP0.02 1 $12.62http://www.penskeparts.com/images/addtocart.gif

Could be a failed gasket for the boot lid grab handle. #14

MINI part no. 51247114521 = $12.00.

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...png?v=03192010

2003minicooper 11-04-2012 06:41 AM

I read that somebody else had this problem on another forum, and it shorted out a main wire which would've costed them $2500, but it was under warranty.

I started ripping my trunk apart, and found water at the top so it was coming in through the spoiler. Pain in the butt to remove the spoiler, but I did, and glued around the bolts. Just waiting till I can afford an aftermarket spoiler since I cracked mine taking it off, and you can't remove the third brake light without removing the spoiler. I also glued the third light good so no water can get in through that either.

Kr4nG 05-01-2014 08:59 PM

Ive noticed that i get water in my trunk but its is occurring in a weird way. So this only happens in a heavy rainfall. The water seems like its coming from under the car. My carpet in the back is dry on top but wet on the left rear corner. I stick my hand behind the left tail light and its dry. Around it dry. The right is perfect only the left is getting wet. My rear hatch is dry the sunroof tunnels are perfect and dry. Its really strange and i cant figure where this might be coming from. I also made my hatch close tighter to eliminate the seal. Tail light is good too. Any ideas?

Im gonna try to take the rear bumper off and see if the rear reinforcment bar is making the water leak in somehow. i really hope its not my left rear glass somehow. i think the rear reinforcement is letting the water in through its bolts idk.

Kr4nG 05-02-2014 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well i have water coming in somehow through both ends of the trunk. still cant figure it out.

Attachment 150912

astroBlackMetallic_Mini 05-02-2014 10:20 AM

YES!!! i have what Kr4nG has! except it happens on the Right side in your picture only. its also wet like under where the seat folds, but the lower seat itself is not wet?! nothing else in the car is wet, its just that one area. so strange!

been wanting to post about this, glad (not really) that im not crazy and others have the issue.

ive checked the sunroof leak channels, and they are all clear, nothing else is wet anywhere else either. makes no sense!

Kr4nG 05-02-2014 10:50 AM

It's amazing how nothing else is wet at all. I originally only had water on the left side. But two days ago we had rain for two days straight and it caused the right side to be wet as well. How can this be happening all my seals are perfect and not clogged. Behind my tail lights are perfectly dry. Can water be coming from the bottom up somehow. Can any one post pictures of their gutted cooper for us to see any signs of distress areas.

astroBlackMetallic_Mini 05-02-2014 12:20 PM

ive torn my mini apart from the inside, never found anything that looked distressed like it had water damage...

Kr4nG 05-02-2014 01:58 PM

I remember reading somewhere about the quarter glass not being glued in right bit that makes no sense I would see other interior things wet. I'm stumped too

drozd 05-09-2014 04:33 PM

The way I've solved boot leaks before is by getting into the boot with a torch closing it then getting someone to spray the car with a hose, while you look for water ingress the secret is to spray the hose downwards in a similar way to rain not to spray it directly at joints.

CarlessInNovaScotia 06-04-2014 04:52 AM

I had the same problem with mine....dump it now before you are facing perforated rust that the 12 yr warranty will not cover

Kr4nG 07-15-2014 08:12 PM

anyone ever figure out where this water could be coming from? had a few storms in the past week here and im tired of drying out my trunk with towels.

67morris 04-11-2018 07:42 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back to life. Having the same issue with my newly acquired 05 s. Anyone figured it out?

Zsm 04-11-2018 10:00 AM

Most common areas or things to replace:

1. Rear upper third brake light. Foam gasket deteriorates and leaks. Solution, replace rear brake light.

2. Hatch handle foam gasket. Same deal, it breaks down, starts leaking.

3. Plugged drains on the hatch itself. Bottom edge of seam, there are two rectangular slots. These can be clogged with crud. Get something plastic and dig out the muck. Costs nothing.

4. Rear tail lights. Less likely, but still same failure mode. Foam gaskets. Yep, you guessed it, they fail and voila! you get leaks.

5. Upper antenna. The rubber seal on the roof tends to also fail. We just went through this recently. Didn't feel like spending a bunch of $$ for a new antenna right away so tested with RTV to see if it was indeed the rubber seal. After a thin coat and re-tightening the antenna, we're leak free again!

Whine not Walnuts 04-11-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 67morris (Post 4382006)
Sorry to bring this thread back to life. Having the same issue with my newly acquired 05 s. Anyone figured it out?

NAM uses/owns vbulletin as the forum platform. The search ability of vbulletin has been discussed over and over by those that moderate here. We suggest using Google to perform a search as most likely you end up back here at NAM with well over 4,000,000 posts.

No issues bringing an old thread back to life here as would rather have the question asked than no question asked at all.

67morris 04-11-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zsm (Post 4382041)
Most common areas or things to replace:

1. Rear upper third brake light. Foam gasket deteriorates and leaks. Solution, replace rear brake light.

2. Hatch handle foam gasket. Same deal, it breaks down, starts leaking.

3. Plugged drains on the hatch itself. Bottom edge of seam, there are two rectangular slots. These can be clogged with crud. Get something plastic and dig out the muck. Costs nothing.

4. Rear tail lights. Less likely, but still same failure mode. Foam gaskets. Yep, you guessed it, they fail and voila! you get leaks.

5. Upper antenna. The rubber seal on the roof tends to also fail. We just went through this recently. Didn't feel like spending a bunch of $$ for a new antenna right away so tested with RTV to see if it was indeed the rubber seal. After a thin coat and re-tightening the antenna, we're leak free again!

Thanks very much for the list!

I did search and this is the only thread I found that describes the exact issue I am having.

ECSTuning 04-11-2018 11:17 AM

Just going to mention that those are the first two areas I would look at and also the rear drain tubes.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...m-sunroof.html

67morris 04-11-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4382064)
Just going to mention that those are the first two areas I would look at and also the rear drain tubes.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...m-sunroof.html

No sunroof here thankfully :)

I should have ordered the boot handle gasket with my current order that was just shipped.

ECSTuning 04-11-2018 11:35 AM

Ok, then its one of the other two or you have someone sneaking in your MINI and dumping water in the boot. ;)

Sorry, it missed the order, just build up another one to get the free ship.

67morris 04-11-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ECSTuning (Post 4382073)
Ok, then its one of the other two or you have someone sneaking in your MINI and dumping water in the boot. ;)

Sorry, it missed the order, just build up another one to get the free ship.

Good one :) That's the plan. The mini is at 207K miles so I am sure there will be more orders to follow as I go through it.

CRC 04-11-2018 01:24 PM

Had the same problem on my '06. I noticed that water was accumulating in the space under the latch hook in the middle, bottom of the hatch opening. I replaced the 3rd brake light, hatch handle seal, and the rubber seal that goes around the hatch opening. I've not had a problem since.

Jax Morales 01-18-2019 09:52 AM

Truck leaking

I have the same problem!!! This happened to me in 2017 and the dealer fixed it, then after this weeks hard rain it flooded my trunk again! They said It will cost around $600 to $700 to fix it but then they said that they want to take a look at it to figure out away to help me out since they already tried to fix it. It’s a 3 1/2 hour drive for me and I don’t want to send that kind of money on a damn leak!

Minidogger 01-19-2019 04:58 AM

You can test the seal pressure by placing a pc of paper in gap then closing hatch. Then pull on paper, it should have a good amount of drag. Test all around door.

Another way is to be inside with flashlight while someone douses car with garden hose, but you may not be able to see entry point this way.

Stella11 03-25-2019 11:46 AM

Dragging it back from the dead again. We have water under the rear seat. It seems to be more on the passenger side but both were wet.
Check the same above items? Or something different?