Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Possible Rust Issue

Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Wilziak
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Rust Issue

Hey everyone, I was working on putting on my racing stripes the other day and when I took off the chrome handle off the trunk I noticed two small spots where the paint is bubbling. Has anyone else has a problem like this? Do you guys think it's rust? The car is merely a year old... Also when the engine warms up I find at idle rpms and when you turn the car off it makes a rather loud squeaking noise. Any info would be awesome

Attached Thumbnails Possible Rust Issue-photo.jpg  
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Not a very clear picture... If it is rust it's covered under warranty. The squeaking sound could be a water pump, serpentine tensioner or just the serpentine belt. If the car is just a year old, take it in to be looked at. It should all be covered.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More on rust, while its been brought up- under the car there is quite a bit of rust in the ball joints and disk brake area of the front wheels. I always see cars rusted here, but was hoping that my frequent pressure spray washing had kept it at bay. There is also noticeable rust on the edges of the steel frame just under the engine where the black protective paint has eroded.
I'm trying to coat it with a rust sealing product, but I really need a lift to work easily under the car, vs. the wheel ramps in my garage.
Anyone else looking underneath?
I live in a major winter zone, with lots of salt, and the car is 4 years old.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 AM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
The squeaking you describe sounds like a water pump issue. To confirm, you can try the following. Drive the car so it is warm and at proper operating temperature.

At idle (say 900 rpms), listen for the squeak (in some cases, this sounds almost like a "di di di deee di di diiiii deeee kind of noise). While it is making this noise, increase the rpms slowly to about 1500. Take note of when the noise disappears. Allow the rpms to return to 900. The noise should come back. If the squeaking disappears at about 1000 or so and does not occur at higher rpms, that's your water pump and it should be replaced under warranty.

Originally Posted by Wilziak
Hey everyone, I was working on putting on my racing stripes the other day and when I took off the chrome handle off the trunk I noticed two small spots where the paint is bubbling. Has anyone else has a problem like this? Do you guys think it's rust? The car is merely a year old... Also when the engine warms up I find at idle rpms and when you turn the car off it makes a rather loud squeaking noise. Any info would be awesome

Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
pjdaustin
2nd Gear
I have a 2010 BRG base Cooper which has always been garaged with only 6100 miles and now the paint is blistering/cracking on the front hood. Has anyone else experienced a similiar problem ? The dealer said BMW "may" be willing to repaint it, but I do not want a paint shop to repaint it which will last, at best, 5 years - I want a factory repaint - wouldn't you ? Anyone else have a similiar problem with their 2010 Mini ?

Last edited by pjdaustin; 09-06-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
peter314
5th Gear
I found a bubble under my passenger side door latch (the part attached to the car in the door jamb) I was rather shocked considering how much I've taken care of the car especially when drying off after a wash

not really sure what to do...

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
pjdaustin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peter314
I found a bubble under my passenger side door latch (the part attached to the car in the door jamb) I was rather shocked considering how much I've taken care of the car especially when drying off after a wash

not really sure what to do...
Call your dealer to set up an app't with the BMW Rep.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pjdaustin
Call your dealer to set up an app't with the BMW Rep.
lol well yeah. I'm just afraid to bring it to them, when have they ever been able to do anything right.

I'll bring it up when I go in soon for a few other things that I can't fix my self (right now that is, after 4 years they couldn't get a rattle out of a door, eventually enough was enough and two hours later and an 8.5"x11" sheet of felt its gone. FINALLY GONE!)

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
jallen4
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pjdaustin
I have a 2010 BRG base Cooper which has always been garaged with only 6100 miles and now the paint is blistering/cracking on the front hood. Has anyone else experienced a similiar problem ? The dealer said BMW "may" be willing to repaint it, but I do not want a paint shop to repaint it which will last, at best, 5 years - I want a factory repaint - wouldn't you ? Anyone else have a similiar problem with their 2010 Mini ?

That leaves a few questions. Why is the paint cracking if it is the original factory paint? Other than having a body shop repaint the hood, how else would it get done? The factory is a long way off.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
jaredh
Neutral
I've experienced a rust issue with my girlfriend's R53. Under the right taillight I noticed some major bubbling. She was really concerned, but I found that Mini has -correct me if I'm wrong - unlimited coverage on rust. When I went to Mini of Allentown shopping for an R56 for myself, we mentioned it to the sales rep and within a few weeks she had it taken care of without question. Do you have a choice of Mini dealers where you are located?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
pjdaustin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jallen4
That leaves a few questions. Why is the paint cracking if it is the original factory paint? Other than having a body shop repaint the hood, how else would it get done? The factory is a long way off.
Yeah, why would the factory paint be blistering after 6100 miles when the car is garaged nightly ??? When I originally purchased the car I had several problems with "airbrushed" touch up paint or some other paint colored mumbo jumbo washing off the car during the first few months I owned the car. The dealership offered me an accessory of my choice after the first incident happened to compensate me for my headache. Later they simply stopped replying to my subsequent inquiries of "alleged" touch up paint washing off the car. Much to my chagrin, I was told I would have to return to the dealership that sold me the car new 170 miles from my home because the local dealership would not permit me to bring the car there for a BMW Rep to evaluate and up to now I never bothered. Anyone else have a similiar experience to share ?