North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Elusive Service Records - Help? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/231952-elusive-service-records-help.html)

SoundMessage 06-14-2012 06:09 PM

Elusive Service Records - Help?

So, I'm trying to get a copy of the service records for my MINI 09 Clubman S, which I purchased used from Carmax.

I have tried:

- Phone call to MINI USA. They told me they don't have that information, but gave me the number for the original selling dealership, and told me they would provide me with what I'm looking for.

- Phone call to original selling dealership, Alexander MINI in Los Angeles. They told me they have the information, but they won't give it to me.

- Visit to my local MINI dealership's service department, Desert MINI in Las Vegas. They told me that no one can give me a copy of service records because they are confidential.

Can anyone help me out here? It seems like most of you have been able to obtain a copy of service records, but I'm just getting the run around.

Cheers.

05r50 06-14-2012 08:01 PM

Wish I could help but I am in the same boat.

I don't get it. Why isn't the car history part of the car not part of the owner? I have tried the same thing many times and my SA says that can't share it with me.

Why?

I really don't care bout the previous owners' name address etc. Delete it, black it out, who cares!! Just give the records to the current owner. Once I pass on the car, I don't care that the dealer tells them I had an oil change or a failed fuel pump replaced.

Just sayin.

schatzy62 06-15-2012 10:46 AM

The dealer should be able to print a report out with all the maintenance that was done on the car that "DOES NOT" show the name(s) of previous owner. I know my dealer has in the past.

SoundMessage 06-15-2012 11:27 AM

OK...I got 'em. I sent an email to the dealership via the Request Service Appointment form. In the comments, I requested a copy of the service records. Someone emailed me a copy of all of the invoices, etc. I'm going to post some things in a separate thread, as I'd like some input on what was done.

Cheers.

TRAVR6 05-16-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SoundMessage (Post 3531608)
OK...I got 'em. I sent an email to the dealership via the Request Service Appointment form. In the comments, I requested a copy of the service records. Someone emailed me a copy of all of the invoices, etc. I'm going to post some things in a separate thread, as I'd like some input on what was done.

Cheers.

I have been fighting with the dealerships for a month now on this.
So far only 3 have replied. One said they have the records but wouldn't give them to me except in person. They are 800 miles away.

My local dealership says they can only access work done at this location and any work done at a different MINI location would have to be gained through them.

The third told me that I would have to mail them my key for them to check the records and then they could mail them back if they found any.

This is my first MINI but I can tell you that I will never buy one from a dealership. MINI seems to have a business model of doing everything they can to drive customers away.

Minnie.the.Moocher 05-16-2018 03:17 PM

It is odd, but a well placed six pack or similar should get it done. For awhile I was able to log into service scheduling and see it all, then someone fixed or broke that setup.

TRAVR6 05-16-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher (Post 4390987)
It is odd, but a well placed six pack or similar should get it done. For awhile I was able to log into service scheduling and see it all, then someone fixed or broke that setup.

I e-mailed about 30 different dealerships all over the country hoping at least one would send something.

ONE did but I am not sure what it means.
I don't know if these things were fixed or if they were just documented as problems.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...0e2271484f.jpg

Songman 05-22-2018 01:55 PM

I went by my local dealer today for the very same reason. They told me that they could not give me a copy of the service records on the Mini I just bought... unless I was having my Mini serviced there. They apparently, it is okay. But they were willing to read down the list and tell me everything, including the name of the original owner. Go figure! Guess it varies from dealer to dealer.

08miniS08 05-24-2018 07:05 AM

It is entirely variable from dealer to dealer. Some will tell you work over the phone, some won't. Some will give you records, some won't. My best solution has been to make friends with a tech and they can pull "warranty" work based on the vin - same as the print out in the above post. Also called "Davis days", which shows how many days the car has been in the shop. This print out, together with a car fax, can show you a basic service history.

downshift1 05-24-2018 10:13 AM

Usually there is a privacy policy in place at most dealers (on the back of the work order you sign) that states they will not distribute any of your information, this includes service records or warranty history.

If a dealer does give it to you and a previous owner finds out, it could be trouble for the dealership. This is why they are happy to read it to you but not print it out.