Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine starts but no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 PM
theskjoung
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine starts but no dash lights

It's 2012 MCS. It mostly happens when I shut the engine off for a short time like at a gas station to fill gas, or pick up something at a store.
I press the start button, the engine starts (with unusual exhaust sound) but neither the needles and lights in tachometer and speedometer will response.
Then I turned on the turn signal to see if they work, I could see they were working by the reflection from the car parked in front but not the arrow light on the tachometer. It is same with the headlight also.
Sometimes both the headlight and turn signal just won't turn on at all. But my dash cam and aftermarket audio always worked.

It happens intermittently so even at a MINI dealership they couldn't diagnose and ended up wasting money. This happened two days in a row over the weekend and made me wonder if it is getting worse. Today I went to a BMW specialized repair shop they said its probably one of the modules (I forgot what module) and would cost around $800 cause the module itself is $600. This place has really good reviews on Google and Yelp but since the problem with my MINI is so intermittent, I just don't want to repeat wasting money like before at the dealership.

Anyone had the same issue?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:11 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by theskjoung
It's 2012 MCS. It mostly happens when I shut the engine off for a short time like at a gas station to fill gas, or pick up something at a store.
I press the start button, the engine starts (with unusual exhaust sound) but neither the needles and lights in tachometer and speedometer will response.
Then I turned on the turn signal to see if they work, I could see they were working by the reflection from the car parked in front but not the arrow light on the tachometer. It is same with the headlight also.
Sometimes both the headlight and turn signal just won't turn on at all. But my dash cam and aftermarket audio always worked.

It happens intermittently so even at a MINI dealership they couldn't diagnose and ended up wasting money. This happened two days in a row over the weekend and made me wonder if it is getting worse. Today I went to a BMW specialized repair shop they said its probably one of the modules (I forgot what module) and would cost around $800 cause the module itself is $600. This place has really good reviews on Google and Yelp but since the problem with my MINI is so intermittent, I just don't want to repeat wasting money like before at the dealership.

Anyone had the same issue?
Load test the battery. These cars are known to get wonky when the battery is going bad