Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's

Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boOst spIKe
Sit tight ladies and gents (N14 owners) a solution and resolve is in the works. Don't quote me, but a little birdie told me BMW/MINIUSA is involved and will make headlines in this thread.
Lol...right. Almost a month later, any word? Didn't think so.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Lol...right. Almost a month later, any word? Didn't think so.
Plenty of word, just not to the public like yourself.

A call of this magnitude will require proper timing as well as proper stock of parts (and potential reimbursement) that will be required to supplement whats to come. I can say with utmost confidence that this will be a massive ordeal for most if not all bmw/mini dealerships.

Have a little patients, my sources are reliable and directly from engineers as well as higher ups at MINIUSA/BMWNA.

Or you can keep being a douche. Either way, fine by me.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With the CVT class action, another of this magnitude would really sting MINI. Regardless, I watch with personal interest regarding our 2010 MCS. BTW, I still have an '02 with the extended warranty on the air bag seat sensors should they fail (again). Just a piece of paper in-hand extending specific coverage is/would be comforting. If it never fails, I'm certainly happy. But time will tell as my warranty runs out in less than 2,000 miles which seemed to be about the time many or some experienced the death rattle. I didn't purchase a 50,000 mile vehicle, I expect more outside normal wear and tear as well as routine maintenance.

The Internet and boards serve us all well as a community to at least be aware and informed, and to share, though we do have to take it all in with a grain of salt. It's just another way to communicate, yes?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
RTRCOOPERS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTRCOOPERS
I was just at my Mini dealer in which I am an employee of the automotive group. I asked if I could pay my deductible for my extended warranty if they will replace my timing chain/tensioner before my warranty expires. He said they could not if there was no issue at this time but it would not matter because a Recall is coming. He has been talking to Mini/BMW and has been compiling info/records to show Mini/BMW. He also stated that it will come soon and they will also be reimbursing owners who have paid out of pocket with the dealer or independent shops. SAVE your receipts. I have no idea the time frame, but I trust this guy. I always talk to him and he has paid out of pocket and he will be getting his money back also.

As I stated above earlier in this thread and what has been restated by another just recently, there is a solution coming but are apparently accepting your receipts for reimbursement if you paid out of pocket according to my dealer. No time table on how quickly the turn-around is but it is something promising.

You can now add my 07 MCS with 78,600 miles on it to the list of the "death rattle" that started 4 days ago. Luckily, I was able to nurse mine to the dealer and it is now being fixed before my extended warranty expires at 80,000 miles. They stated that I already had the updated tensioner installed but the chain was stretched. I am also having the thermostat housing replaced due to leaking for about 2 months but I knew that the timing chain was going to fail sometime soon so I waited and saved myself $100 deductible. Tomorrow I will have mine back and hopefully get another 80,000 miles out of this chain.

Oh, they did give me a new coupe to drive as a loaner for the evening. My wife wants one now.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-chains.html

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by boOst spIKe
Plenty of word, just not to the public like yourself.

A call of this magnitude will require proper timing as well as proper stock of parts (and potential reimbursement) that will be required to supplement whats to come. I can say with utmost confidence that this will be a massive ordeal for most if not all bmw/mini dealerships.

Have a little patients, my sources are reliable and directly from engineers as well as higher ups at MINIUSA/BMWNA.

Or you can keep being a douche. Either way, fine by me.
My sarcasm wasn't towards you personally, but towards BMW/MINI. People keep spreading recall rumors like wildfire.

I'm happy to eat crow on this one, because it means they finally pulled their head out of the sand and did something rather than deny the problem exists.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM
FNFZ4
Neutral
I called Alexander MINI and asked about this and they said that MINI is coming out with it in 2 months. SO I guess they are still not doing the Recall as of now

Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Americanitis
1st Gear
It's NOT a "recall;" It's a "Service Action." Below is the email I received after my inquiry into the issue last week.

They are sending out letters right now.

Thank you for contacting MINI USA regarding a Service Action for the timing chain tensioner for certain model year MINI’s. If your MINI is affected by this Service Action, you will receive a letter via First Class mail in the next two weeks containing the details and requesting that you schedule a service appointment.

Owners of affected MINIs can continue to drive their vehicles. Should you need to contact MINI Roadside Assistance, they can be reached at 1-866-646-4772.

The MINI Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1.866.ASK.MINI (275-6464).

We apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

LET’S MOTOR.

Erin Roberts
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative

Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Which Minis' are affected and will recieve one of these " service action" letters?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Americanitis
1st Gear
@TREX I will let you know when/if I receive a letter. I believe it's any car from '07-early '10 with the N14 engine. Not sure. Hopefully folks start receiving the letters (me included!) and will post them here.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, I gotta git me one of them thar letters!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Here's what I know. I have a 2008 S. I've owned it only for a little over a year. Service history shows the head was pulled, and the whole timing chain was replaced at like 58,000 over a couple years ago. I asked my SA why they didn't even check to see if the slack was within tolerance. The simple answer was because the action didn't pop up on the computer when they plugged in my key. (Turbo oil pipe wrap did.) The SA surmised that the part number for the newer tensioner was in history so that would automatically rule me out for a tension check. Or, that my Vin was outside the old tensioner part number installation range.

What that means to me, is that if your VIN falls within a range of positive old part number tensioner, you will get a letter. If you have had your chain replaced at a dealer in the last few years, then I would guess that you will not get a letter. If you had your chain replaced at an independent, you will probably get a letter if you VIN is in the range.

My son's 07 had the chain done at an independent within the last year because it needed it and the price was much more real. He recently was at the dealer and they put the wrap on and checked his chain tension, and of course passed him with no action on it.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had both campaigns active on my 08 and when it was in for other work, all they did was check to see if the "dimpled" tensioner (read updated tensioner) was in place and sent me on my way. Didn't check for slack in the chain, just that it had the updated tensioner. Same with my mom's 08 Clubman S.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:01 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
I have a 07 MCS with 56000 miles and i was told i have a sevice campaign for the timing chaing tensioner and turbo heat shield. My SA set me up with a appointment next week to have both replaced.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just checked Mini's webpage for Open Recalls and my 2008 Justa did not have any. So, recall is different than Service Campaign?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RockAZ
I just checked Mini's webpage for Open Recalls and my 2008 Justa did not have any. So, recall is different than Service Campaign?
Yes. Recalls are usually only put out because the NHTSA has ordered the manufacturer to issue the recall because something safety related is compromised and needs to be fixed.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:56 AM
schmoops
Neutral
Originally Posted by Americanitis
It's NOT a "recall;" It's a "Service Action." Below is the email I received after my inquiry into the issue last week.

They are sending out letters right now.
Thank you for contacting MINI USA regarding a Service Action for the timing chain tensioner for certain model year MINI’s. If your MINI is affected by this Service Action, you will receive a letter via First Class mail in the next two weeks containing the details and requesting that you schedule a service appointment.

Owners of affected MINIs can continue to drive their vehicles. Should you need to contact MINI Roadside Assistance, they can be reached at 1-866-646-4772.

The MINI Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1.866.ASK.MINI (275-6464).

We apologize for any inconvenience should your vehicle be affected.

LET’S MOTOR.

Erin Roberts
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative
2009 Mini Cooper S (Hardtop)
Purchased used August 2012

Thank you for posting this! I called MINI Customer Relations (1-866-ASK-MINI) and the rep was very helpful. I bought the car last year, however, despite two previous calls last September to inquire about the water pump recall, and the timing chain issue, they still had the previous owners information listed under the vin. Thankfully, that was an easy change.

She looked up my vin and said there were no open reacalls, which I know, and that she did not see any service actions. She did see a note that my High Pressure Injection Pump has an extended warranty, 10 years or 120k miles (good to know).

She must have sensed my disappointment because she then suggested I call my local MINI dealership as they often are aware of Service Actions sooner than the customer service call center. So I hung up with her and called MINI of Westchester (White Plains, NY) and sure enough, I'M ELIGIBLE!! Booked the first available appointment on Nov 12. Then spoke with a service advisor to get the details. He said, we measure the chain, if it's stretched we replace the chain and tensioner, guide rails, etc.

So glad I found this forum and thread!

Last edited by schmoops; 10-31-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
"Service Campaign" what a load of crap. They've known about this problem since 2008. Meanwhile, those of us who paid thousands out of pocket to fix the garbage parts they put in get screwed. So glad Consumer Reports rated them least reliable, BMW/Mini needs a serious wake up call.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Spectral G
"Service Campaign" what a load of crap. They've known about this problem since 2008. Meanwhile, those of us who paid thousands out of pocket to fix the garbage parts they put in get screwed. So glad Consumer Reports rated them least reliable, BMW/Mini needs a serious wake up call.
It's been known since 2007, that's when the issues began as little as 1000 miles on a new Mini Cooper S. Back then when a tech couldn't figure it out says it's normal, tech say this when they don't know what else to do.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
It's been known since 2007, that's when the issues began as little as 1000 miles on a new Mini Cooper S. Back then when a tech couldn't figure it out says it's normal, tech say this when they don't know what else to do.
Wow, didn't know it even started that early. I got my car in late August 07 and didn't really read much about it till early 08 I think. Wish I had found this place back before I ordered my car.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Spectral G
Wow, didn't know it even started that early. I got my car in late August 07 and didn't really read much about it till early 08 I think. Wish I had found this place back before I ordered my car.
You would be shock by how many complaints there were early after the release of the all new turbocharged 2007 Mini Cooper S! Everyday there was some else confirming the same issue. At this time not even Mini USA knew what was causing it and look how long it took Mini to take responsibility for it! Reputation was damaged long ago, it's far too late for those that had a horrible experience (within a few thousand miles) with the Mini brand. You won't find those people (my assumption) ever driving a Mini brand car again!

I hope Mini has a timing belt for the new 2015 Mini Cooper S and JCW's!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Yep, mine goes in for service tomorrow. As soon as it's back in my hands, it goes up for sale. Loved this car so much, but damn!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Grubman
1st Gear
Flow MINI of Raleigh replaced the timing chain on my 08 Clubman (67K miles) yesterday as part of the recall. Finally, a quiet cold start morning after 5 years of rattle!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grubman
Flow MINI of Raleigh replaced the timing chain on my 08 Clubman (67K miles) yesterday as part of the recall. Finally, a quiet cold start morning after 5 years of rattle!
5 years of rattling, I didn't know it could last that long! Your chain guides must have been really broken up especially the upper guide rail mounted on the head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain, timing tensioner Recall effect 500,000 Mini's