Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07-08 R56 NHTSA Complaints--Spontaneous engine bay fires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I hope so too! I definitely don't like the idea of any cars burning up, most especially MINIs!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really sucks. Anybody know an average of how long these things take if they decide a recall is in order? Are we talking weeks, months, a year from now?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Perhaps a fire extinguisher would be a good thing to get BEFORE/INSTEAD OF the next $$$ meaningless go-faster mod.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No telling. Have you ever seen Fight Club. Edward Norton states what is involved in a recall. So, basically its all about cost effectiveness very safety and problems that have happened.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nhtsa mini cooper s fire complaints

Here are the 10 (of the reported 12) Mini Cooper fire complaints that I was able to locate on the NHTSA database. I highlighted the parts where they talk about possible causes. From review it appears to be possibly be related to the supplemental water pump wiring. One victim found the wires near the turbo hose on fire. However posts around here seem to implicate the electric power steering system.

2007-2011 MINI COOPER S FIRE COMPLAINTS REPORTED TO NHTSA
INCLUDES CLUBMAN AND CONVERTIBLE MODELS

2007 Make : MINI
Model : COOPER S
Year : 2007
Manufacturer : BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

Crash : No
Fire : Yes
Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10422646
Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: August 28, 2011
VIN : WMWMF73527T...

Component: UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Summary:
MY MINI COOPER SPONTANEOUS CAUGHT ON FIRE. THURSDAY 8/25/11 BEFORE ALL THIS HAPPEN, I TOOK THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE. I STATED TO THE SERVICE ADVISOR(JOE) THE CAR WAS NOT DRIVING RIGHT AND I¿M SURE SOME SERVICES NEEDS TO BE LOOKED AT (OIL CHANGE ETC....). MY SERVICE TECH (JOE VISTA MINI COCONUT CREEK) PUTS THE KEY INTO THE CARD READER ¿NOPE NOTHING SHOWED UP YOU GOOD TO GO¿ I EXIT WITH SOME DOUBT ON MY FACE NEVER THINKING TWICE, COULD BE MY MIND PLAYING CAR GAMES. I'M REALLY ADMIT ABOUT FUNNY NOISES, AND SINCE THE DEALER ISN'T FAR FROM MY JOB. I'D JUST STOP ON BY FOR A CHECK UP. I DO HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTY SERVICE. SATURDAY 8/27/11 (10:30P) CAR SITTING FROM A SHORT DRIVE TO HAVE DINNER. CAME HOME (10PM) PARKED THE AND DIDN¿T HEAR OR NOTICE ANYTHING. I USUALLY TAKE A QUICK WALK AROUND THE CAR. SUNDAY 8/28/11 (4:00P) POLICE CAME KNOCKING " ARE YOU THE OWNER OF A BLACK MINI COOPER " YOUR CAR WAS ON FIRE AND THE PLANTATION FIRE DEPT ARE IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING OUT THE FIRE/FLAMES. AS I WALK OUT THE SHOCK OF MY CAR BURNING. AFTER SPEAKING WITH THE FIREMEN. HE COULDN'T PIN POINT WHERE THE FIRE STARTED AND THE CAUSE UNKNOWN BUT HE SAID WHEN THEY STARTED TO HOSE IT DOWN IT LOOKED AS IF THE FIRE WAS COMING FROM THE DRIVER SIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT ANOTHER FIRE DEPT GUY SAID ¿ FROM THE LOOKS OF THIS INCIDENT, WHAT¿S SEEMS TO CAUSE THIS WAS ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION. FLAMES WERE SHOOTING 8'FT IN THE AIR. THE CAR IS DAMAGED AND NOT REPAIRABLE,THERE¿S NO ENGINE THERE¿S NOTHING LEFT BESIDES THE SOME ASHE, MELTED METAL, THERE¿S NO WINDSHIELD, THE HEADLINER IS COMPLETELY GONE, SIDE GLASS ARE BLOWN OUT. ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS MY BABY DAUGHTER IN THE CAR WHILE I WAS DRIVING. BMW YOU HAVE CAUSED SOME DAMAGE, LEAVING ME SECOND GUESS YOU INTEGRITY OF YOUR CRAFTSMANSHIP/FLAGSHIP AUTO. SOMEONE PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS SITUATION. UPDATED09/07/11 *BF REGARDS, MARIO STEWART HMSTEWART5@GMAIL.COM 954-445-7300 9221 NW 49TH PLACE SUNRISE FLORIDA 33351

Make : MINI

ODI ID Number : 10403982
Date of Failure: May 27, 2011
[VIN : WMWMF73577T...

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2007 MINI COOPER S. WHILE PARKED THE CONTACT NOTICED THE ENTIRE VEHICLE WAS ON FIRE. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT AND THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION REPORTED TO THE SCENE AND A REPORT WAS FILED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A LOT WHERE THE INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD INSPECT THE VEHICLE. THE CAUSE OF FIRE WAS UNDETERMINED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE VEHICLE WAS DESTROYED. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 39,200. UPDATED 07/08/11 *BF

ODI ID Number : 10394192
Date of Failure: April 1, 2011
[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
VIN : WMWMF73557T...

Summary:
UPON RETURNING HOME AND PARKING MY MINI IN THE GARAGE I SMELLED SOMETHING STRANGE. MY WIFE AND I UNLOADED GROCERIES FROM THE CAR I NOTICED SMOKE FROM THE HOOD OF THE CAR. WE QUICKLY ROLLED THE CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE AND OPENED THE HOOD, I NOTICED THE CONNECTION ON TOP OF THE AUX WATER PUMP BURNING. THE FIRE SUBSIDED ON ITS OWN. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10394808
Date of Failure: March 31, 2011
VIN : WMWMF73507T...

Summary:
MY MINT CONDITION 2007 MINI COOPER S WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE ON 3/31/11. I HAD JUST DRIVEN IT 4.5 MILES TO WORK, PARKED IT, WHEN APPROXIMATELY 12-15 MINUTES LATER I WAS ALERTED BY THE COMPANY SECURITY DEPARTMENT THAT MY CAR WAS ON FIRE. THE TOWNSHIP POLICE AND FIRE DEPARTMENT WERE ALREADY ON THE SCENE PUTTING OUT THE BLAZE. THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE APPEARS TO BE ELECTRICAL AND STARTED IN THE ENGINE. MY PRISTINE CAR WITHOUT A SCRATCH OR DENT ON IT, HAD ONLY BEEN DRIVEN 15,000 MILES -- AND IT WAS DESTROYED. THE CAR HAD BEEN FAITHFULLY MAINTAINED AND I BELIEVED IT TO BE IN PERFECT RUNNING CONDITION. FORTUNATELY NO ONE WAS HURT AND NO OTHER CARS WERE DAMAGED. BUT WHAT IF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED WHEN THE CAR WAS PARKED IN MY GARAGE? I WAS SHOCKED TO READ ONLINE THAT OTHER OWNERS HAVE SHARED SIMILAR EXPERIENCES AND THAT YOU CAN FIND NUMEROUS VIDEO CLIPS ON YOU-TUBE SHOWING MINI¿S ON FIRE. WHAT IS BMW DOING ABOUT THIS? UPDATED 08/17/11*BF

ODI ID Number : 10289793
Date of Failure: October 19, 2009
VIN : WMWMF73557T...

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Summary:
2007 MINI COOPER S SPONTANEOUSLY CAUGHT FIRE WHILE TURNED OFF AND PARKED IN MY GARAGE. I HAD TRAVELED LESS THAN TWO MILES WHEN I PARKED THE CAR. FIRE STARTED UNDER THE HOOD AND COMPLETELY TOTALED THE CAR BY THE TIME THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ARRIVED AND PUT IT OUT. *TR

Year : 2008

ODI ID Number : 10342365
Date of Failure: June 24, 2010
VIN : WMWMF73528T...

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary:
LEAVING FROM WORK AROUND 5:00 PM (CAR HAD BEEN IN THE PARKING LOT SINCE 7:20 AM), I DROVE FOR A MILE OR LESS WHEN AT A RED LIGHT THE CAR BY MY SIDE TOLD ME ABOUT SMOKE COMING FROM THE UNDER THE HOOD. I DROVE TO THE CLOSET PARKING LOT, OPENED THE HOOD (THERE WAS A LOT OF SMOKE) AND I COULD SEE 2 WIRES RED HOT. I WENT TO TRY TO GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER AND LUCKILY AND AMBULANCE ON DUTY (COULD NOT HELP ME BECAUSE HE HAD A PATIENT) GAVE ME A SMALL BOTTLE OF WATER. WHEN I RETURNED TO THE CAR WITH THE WATER THERE WERE FLAMES ABOUT 10" TALL ON A SMALL AREA, ALREADY TOUCHING THE PIPES THE COME OUT OF THE TURBO (PIPES THAT BRING AIR INTO TURBO AND OUT TO THE INTERCOOLER) AND WITH THE 500ML BOTTLE OF WATER I WAS ABLE TO PUT IT OFF. DEALER (MINI OF STERLING) REPAIRED THE VEHICLE FOR FREE (CAR IS UNDER WARRANTY). DEALER FOUND THAT THE AUXILIARY WATER PUMP SHORTED, AND THIS MUST HAVE CAUSED THE WIRES TO OVERHEAT. DEALER REPLACED AUXILIARY WATER PUMP AND WIRES AND PARTS THAT BURNED. I SPOKE WITH THE DEALER AND THEN WITH MINI USA, BOTH REFUSED TO CHANGE ENGINEERING TO PREVENT A FUTURE FIRE IN CASE AUXILIARY WATER PUMP HAS A SHORT-CIRCUIT AGAIN. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10314796
Date of Failure: September 4, 2009
VIN : WMWMF735X8T...

Summary:
2008 MINI COOPER S CAUSES FIRE WHILST PARKED IN THE GARAGE AT 2AM, BURNS DOWN ANOTHER CAR AND PROPERTY. THE SUGAR LAND, TEXAS FIRE DEPARTMENT REPORTS THE CAUSE OF ORIGIN OF THE FIRE IS SUSPECTED FROM MINI COOPER. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10286663
Date of Failure: October 2, 2009
VIN : Not Available

Summary:
2008 MINI COOPER S SPONTANEOUS ENGINE FIRE 10/02. I HAD JUST RETURNED HOME FROM WORK AND I HAD DRIVEN THE CAR FOR ABOUT 45MINS AND THEN 10MINS AFTER SHUTTING THE CAR DOWN A FIRE HAD STARTED IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. *TR

Model : COOPER S CONVERTIBLE

ODI ID Number : 10286597
Date of Failure: October 3, 2009
VIN : WMWRH33578T...

Summary:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE. WHILE PARKED IN THE GARAGE OVERNIGHT, THE VEHICLE CAUGHT ON FIRE. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT EXTINGUISHED THE FLAMES. THE INSURANCE COMPANY WAS IN THE PROCESS OF INVESTIGATING THE FAILURE. HE FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE MANUFACTURER. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 9,000.

10Make : MINI
Model : COOPER S CLUBMAN

ODI ID Number : 10310677
Date of Failure: November 3, 2009
VIN : WMWMM33598T...

Summary:
MY 2008 MINI CLUBMAN S WAS PARKED AT THE POST OFFICE, WHEN SOMEONE CAME IN TO TELL ME MY CAR WAS ON FIRE. I RAN OUTSIDE TO FIND SMOKE POURING FROM UNDER THE HOOD, AND CALLED THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. I RAN BACK INSIDE TO GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER, AND CAME BACK OUT TO FIND FLAMES COMING OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD, ALONG WITH THE SMOKE. I EMPTIED THE EXTINGUISHER, BUT THE FLAMES KEPT COMING. BY THE TIME THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ARRIVED, ONLY FIVE MINUTES LATER, THE FLAMES WERE 12 FEET HIGH, AND THE CAR WAS TOTALED. I HAVE FOUND REPORTS OF AT LEAST 30 OTHER SIMILAR INCIDENTS OF MINIS SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUSTING, BUT THE MANUFACTURER HAS, AS FAR AS I KNOW, DONE NOTHING TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM. *TR

2009Make : MINI
Year : 2009

ODI ID Number : 10430391
Date of Failure: October 15, 2011
VIN : WMWMF73509T...

Summary:
I DROVE THE CAR FOR LESS THAN A MILE AT CITY SPEEDS AND PROCEEDED TO PARK TO RUN ERRANDS. ABOUT 5 MINUTES LATER I NOTICED SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT OF THE CAR, UPON CLOSER INSPECTION I REALIZED THE CAR WAS ON FIRE AND CALLED 911. BY THE TIME THE FIRE DEPARTMENT ARRIVED TO THE SCENE (ABOUT 5 MINUTES LATER) THE FIRE HAD SPREAD THROUGH THE VEHICLE. THE CAR SHOWED NO WARNING SIGNS BEFORE THE FIRE STARTED AND ALL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE HAD BEEN PERFORMED. THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE IS TO BE DETERMINED.

ODI ID Number : 10335450
Date of Failure: June 5, 2010
VIN : WMWMF73599T...

Summary:
2009 MINI COOPER S. DROVE CAR 20KM TO LOCAL MALL. CAME OUT TO RETRIEVE WALLET FROM GLOVE BOX AFTER BEING IN MALL FOR APPROXIMATELY 20 MIN. THE CAR WAS COMPLETELY ENGULFED IN FLAMES. FIRE DEPARTMENT SAID IT WAS AN ELECTRICAL FIRE THAT MOST LIKELY STARTED IN THE DASHBOARD SOMEWHERE. NO WARNING SIGNS OF IMMINENT DANGER ON MY DRIVE TO THE MALL. CAR ONLY SERVICED AT AUTHORIZED BMW/MINI DEALERSHIP. 30K KMS ON CAR. CAR IS COMPLETELY DESTROYED. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10430619
Date of Failure: September 7, 2011
VIN : WMWMM33559T...

Summary:
AFTER DRIVING TO WORK FOR 30 MINUTES, I PARKED MY CAR. I THOUGHT I SMELLED SOMETHING AS I WALKED AWAY, SO I STOPPED AN LOOKED, BUT I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING. FIVE MINUTES AFTER WALKING INTO MY BUILDING, SOMEONE TOLD ME MY CAR WAS ON FIRE. THE FIRST WITNESS TO SEE SOMETHING (A CO-WORKER) SAID HE SAW SOMETHING ON FIRE DROP FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE CAR. WHEN I RAN OUTSIDE, THE CAR WAS PUTTING OFF A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SMOKE. WE TRIED TO USE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER, TO NO END, AND WITHIN MINUTES WE WERE SEEING FLAMES. FIVE MINUTES LATER, THE FRONT OF THE CAR WAS ENGULFED IN FIRE. IT WAS FAST AND HOT. THE FIRE DEPARTMENT PUT IT OUT, BUT IT WAS A TOTAL LOSS. I HAVE PHOTO DOCUMENTATION OF THE EVENT.

ODI ID Number : 10346542
Date of Failure: June 26, 2010
VIN : WMWMM335X9T...

Summary:
I PARKED MY 2009 MINI CLUBMAN AFTER DRIVING ABOUT 10 MILES TO THE GROCERY STORE ROUND TRIP AND UNLOADED GROCERIES, WENT BACK OUT TO THE CAR AND IT WAS SMOKING WHITE SMOKE. FLAMES STARTED SHOOTING UP FROM THE ENGINE OVER THE WINDSHIELD AND IT PROGRESSED FROM THERE. THE SMOKE TURNED BLACK ALL WINDOWS WERE BLOWN OUT, FRONT TIRES MELTED AND BLOWN AND THE CAR WAS DECLARED AN OBVIOUS TOTAL LOSS. IT CAUGHT OUR HOME ON FIRE AND HAS CAUSED MORE THAN $50,000 WORTH OF DAMAGE. PLEASE CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. *TR

Model : COOPER S CONVERTIBLE
Year : 2010

ODI ID Number : 10358563
Date of Failure: September 15, 2010
VIN : WMWRH33566T...

Component: STEERING
Summary:
MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE 2006, LESS THAN 40K MILES. I WAS DRIVING FOR MAYBE 6 MILES AND WHILE I WAS MAKING A LEFT HAND TURN I FELT THE STEERING WHEEL WAS NOT FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY AND THE CAR WAS MOVING VERY ODDLY SO I PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY TO CHECK WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE CAR. NOTICING THE SMOKE FORM THE HOOD BEFORE I GOT OUT THE CAR AND THOUGHT MY CAR WAS OVER HEATED. I THOUGHT I WOULD JUST CALL THE ROADSIDE SERVICE TO HELP. BUT WHAT HAD TOOK PLACE NEXT WAS SOMETHING I CAN ONLY IMAGINE FROM A MOVIE SET ....SMOKE..HEAVY SMOKE...FLAME FIRE. FIRE DEPARTMENT CAME AND THEY WOULD NOT ABLE TO OPEN THE HOOD SO INSTEAD THEY CUT THE HOOD OPEN AND WAS ABLE TO PUT OFF THE FIRE. THE CAR WAS TOTAL. I JUST HAD THE SERVICE ONE MONTH AGO AT THE DEALER (REPLACE BATTERY, WHEEL ALIGNMENT, ROTATION TIRES AND 32 POINT INSPECTION)AND LIKE ALL THE PREVIOUS SERVICES WAS DONE AT THE DEALER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HAD HAPPEN TO THE CAR, MY INSURANCE CO CLAIMED THAT THERE IS NO RECALL BY BMW/MINI ON THE CAR SO THEY DON'T SEE THE POINT TO SPEND MONEY AND TIME TO CHECK INTO WHAT HAD CAUSED THE FIRE...BUT I WANTED TO KNOW AS A CAR OWNER AND A NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE. I THINK I AM ENTITLE TO AND TO PREVENT THIS HAPPEN TO MORE MINI OWNER. PLEASE HELP! *TR

Year : 2010

ODI ID Number : 10428234
Date of Failure: September 20, 2011
VIN : WMWMF7C5OAT...

Summary:
CAR DRIVEN TWO MILES TO MARKET AND RETURNED HOME TO HIGH RISE CONDO. PARKED IN GARAGE OF HIGH RISE. NO PROBLEMS NOTED DURING DRIVE, PARKING OR LOCKING. WITHIN 4-6 MINUTES, ANOTHER RESIDENT IN THE GARAGE REPORTED A CAR ON FIRE, HOOD/ENGINE AREA TO THE MANAGEMENT OFFICE. A 911 CALL SENT OUT, TOOK FIRE DEPARTMENT ~ 1 1/2 HOURS TO EXTINGUISH THE BLAZE. CAR HAS NO HISTORY OF ANY PROBLEMS. CAR IN FOR TIRE ROTATION, OIL CHANGE, GAS GAGE FLOAT REPLACEMENT AND XM RADIO ANTENNA CHECK SIX WEEKS EARLIER. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS MECHANICALLY OR ELECTRICALLY. HAD MANUAL TRANSMISSION. NO INDICATION OF ANY PROBLEMS EVER NOTED. I WAS IN TOTAL DISBELIEF WHEN TOLD MY CAR HAD BURNED. SAW ALL THE FIRE EQUIPMENT FROM MY UNIT AND HAD NO IDEA IT WAS MY CAR, HAD JUST BEEN IN IT, AND PARKED IT AS I ALWAYS DO. MY INSURANCE COMPANY ADJUSTER AND MINI DEALERSHIP ALL SAID THERE WERE NO KNOW REPORTED FIRES STARTING SPONTANEOUSLY. FIRE AND POLICE DID NOT KNOW OF ANY MINI FIRES REPORTED. JUST PURCHASED ANOTHER, AM NOW CONCERNED. CAR WAS 23 MONTHS OLD AND HAD 26,000 MILES. MY CAR WAS A JOY TO DRIVE AND ALWAYS RELIABLE. THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE. HOPE IT WILL HELP IN SOLVING, WHAT NOW APPEARS TO BE A PROBLEM.

Model : COOPER S US
Year : 2011

ODI ID Number : 10410757
Date of Failure: July 1, 2011
VIN : WMWSU3C58BT...

Summary:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A BMW 2011 MINI COOPER. THE CONTACT WAS DRIVING 50 MPH WHEN THE VEHICLE EXHIBITED A LOUD CLUNKING NOISE WITH THE ILLUMINATION OF ALL OF THE WARNING LIGHTS. THE VEHICLE BEGIN SMOKING AS HE PULLED TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. THE CONTACT WAS ABLE TO EXIT THE VEHICLE JUST AS IT IGNITED INTO FLAMES, FOLLOWED BY AN EXPLOSION. THE POLICE WERE CALLED AND A REPORT WAS FILED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES FROM THE EXPLOSION. THE VEHICLE WAS THEN TOWED BY THE STATE. THE MANUFACTURER WAS CONTACTED AND THEY ADVISED HIM THAT THEY WOULD GET BACK TO HIM AT A LATER DATE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 120.

Last edited by clutchless; 10-19-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Clean up
The following users liked this post:
pilotart (02-24-2023)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Decent info, good find. I just hope somebody does not quote that entire post

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
micron
1st Gear
I wonder why they decided to limit the investigation to the 07-08 models as opposed to 07-11. There seemed to be enough 10/11 incidents to warrant this, no?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Looks like it pretty much mirrors some of the info I found yesterday regarding "typical" vehicle fires.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
minitennisball
2nd Gear
This is a bit unsettling....

Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Lol i work for DOT(NHTSA,FHWA,PHMSA,RITA,OST) gonna have to find out about this.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
clutchless
3rd Gear
I found one more complaint at the MiniCooperForums web site. It too appears to point at the turbo auxiliary water pump and or its wiring as the most likely fire cause. It seems this pump is located somewhere under the oil filter. I bought the Bentley manual and large as it is I find it sadly lacking in detailed information about the auxiliary water pump. If anyone has more information on the pump please post it.
Here is the post:

Mini Cooper Forums
Smoke under the hood...under oil filter 9/27/11 Headhunter

came out from work and started the car and got to the red light and smoke was rolling out from under the hood.i recognized it was electrical so i killed power. got to lookin and found something electrical directly under the oil filter housing that got extremely hot. looked at mitchell on demand and it appears it could be a turbocharger coolant pump ? anybody heard of this ? i have an 08 cooper s. what does this do and how does it effect the car for a daily driver at 55 miles on way on the highway until i figure out whats wrong ?
WELL im getting closer....found an electrical plug that melted together aparently from shorting out..this probably explains why i got code 2F37 auxillary water pump activation....WHAT DOES THIS WATER PUMP DO ?

10/4/11
You have two water pumps, 1 mechanical on the pass side and one on the front under turbo. this is your auxiliary water pump and continutes to circulate the coolant through the turbo once the vechile is shut off to keep the turbo from heatsoaking with the hot coolant and oil present in it. you must replace the aux water pump, it should still be under warranty unless you have exceeded 50k. this is not an easy procedure

Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
Any guesses on how long it will take them to figure this out? No parking in the garage until they do so I hope they get it done before winter. Liability concerns should put a little fire under them to pay more attention than they did to the cold start rattle.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM
cereal
4th Gear
Originally Posted by roscoenj
Any guesses on how long it will take them to figure this out? No parking in the garage until they do so I hope they get it done before winter. Liability concerns should put a little fire under them to pay more attention than they did to the cold start rattle.
I don't think anyone has a clue. I'm sure its mostly up to MINI if they do it before they are forced to do so or not. As far as the investigation goes, the initial letter was dated 10/17/2011 and it had quite an arsenal of request from MINI regarding data including all possible vehicles (aka all MINI's made between 07 and 08) and then further all claims. It's a long list and not exactly simple so I'm guessing it'll take MINI some time to organize and reply back and then even longer for the investigation to work through that data as well. Somewhere at BMW a Database Administrator is having one hell of a week!

Long story short, nobody knows and there is a lot for both MINI and the DOT to do before anything is forced.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I just read though all those posts. Does the non-S Coopers have a different pump or an auxillary pump at all? Anyone who is concerned, keep what you need to disconnect the battery available in the car. If you see the smoke. Disconnect the battery, that will stop the short, then you can use whatever you need to cool down the components. As long as the battery is connected, it will continue to heat up until it ignites.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
So that's the water pump you can hear running after you shut down the car...

Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
minitennisball
2nd Gear
so is the aux water pump they are using in the engine defective, or is it the placement of the aux pump within the engine compartment that is causing the problem? why does it only happen on 12 out of 36k cars i wonder....

Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
minitennisball
2nd Gear
and is this the same "S" turbo engine that is used in all their models?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
I looked, that auxiliary pump is only on the turbo cars and it purpose is to circulate the coolant after the car is turned off to keep the coolant from overheating in the turbo .

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM
BunsenH
6th Gear
I'm confused.

I have a 2008 S Convertable with the supercharger. Were there both SC and turbo models in 2008?

Are S models with turbo the only victims reported?

Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Amonst the complaints listed, there is a 2006 S which would have been supercharged, I think but I'm unclear if those have that same cooler, since it would be unnecessary with a supercharger.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BunsenH
I'm confused.

I have a 2008 S Convertable with the supercharger. Were there both SC and turbo models in 2008?

Are S models with turbo the only victims reported?

Vets stayed with the older body style and engine through '08, In '09 the verts changed to the newer style. The issues lies with the R56 group of cars.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Bunsen,

Yes, both super- and turbo- in 2008. The convertibles didn't switch over to the 2nd Gen (with turbo- engine) until 2009 model year (I think I have the year right).

Alas, while this particular issue only impacts the R56 models, some first gen models have to deal with their own angst about spontaneous fires (Spontaneous engine bay fires!).

Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM
BunsenH
6th Gear
Yikes!......that's fast service........I can tell my wife to put down the fire extinguisher.........thanks to all.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
It will take NHTSA at least a few months to investigate as MINI has a certain amount of time to respond to them.
This is from How Stuff Works:
If enough consumers contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and file a report about the same problem with the same type of vehicle, the NHTSA may decide to open an investigation. And if it does, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is the agency in charge of performing the automotive recall investigation.

But how do the NHTSA and the ODI go about conducting a full investigation? The ODI's investigative process can be broken down into four parts:
  • Screening: A review of all consumer complaints to determine if an investigation is warranted
  • Petition Analysis: An examination of the petitions for defect investigations or reviews of safety-related recalls
  • Investigations: Two-phase -- Preliminary Evaluation (PE) and Engineering Analysis (EA) investigations into suspected safety defects
  • Recall Management: Monitoring the overall effectiveness of safety recalls
  • If the NHTSA decides that a safety defect is present, a public meeting is held in which members of the public and the manufacturer can discuss the issue. The manufacturer may dispute the claim and even present new information to the NHTSA Administrator in charge of making the final decision. In the end, it's all up to the NHTSA's Administrator to determine whether to issue a safety defect recall. The manufacturer can challenge the NHTSA's decision, but the issue then goes to a Federal District Court for the final ruling.
    The issue doesn't always go to the courts, though. As mentioned earlier, some manufacturers decide to initiate the recall process based on their own investigations. For instance, the manufacturer may determine that a vehicle isn't compliant with a known federal safety standard, or it may discover and decide to correct a safety defect before any problems arise.
    So while it can seem like recalls permeate the news headlines, in a way, they're proof that manufacturers are making an effort to keep you safe. And in the case of automotive recalls, it's an attempt to reduce your risk of injury and property damage -- and a way to keep roadways as safe as possible, too.
    Once the recall is underway, the manufacturer, the media, the NHTSA and others spread the word about it. Exactly what you need to do if your car is on the recall list depends on the nature of the defect -- and the nature of the recall. Sometimes, a manufacturer will ask you to schedule an appointment at your dealership as you would for other service, or you may need to leave your vehicle overnight. In more extreme cases, the manufacturer may even arrange for your car to be towed or carried from your home to the dealership. Either way, the best way to figure out what you need to do is to contact your vehicle's manufacturer, either by getting in touch with the dealership or by calling a number set up specifically for handling recall questions.
    For more information about automotive recalls and other related topics, follow the links on the next page. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automotive-recalls3.htm

Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
minitennisball
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Vets stayed with the older body style and engine through '08, In '09 the verts changed to the newer style. The issues lies with the R56 group of cars.
Thanks. You refer to "vets" and "verts", what do these terms mean?

Quick Reply: 07-08 R56 NHTSA Complaints--Spontaneous engine bay fires