North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   PCV hose leaking oil onto valve cover (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/214325-pcv-hose-leaking-oil-onto-valve-cover.html)

SooperCuperErik 07-19-2011 05:21 AM

PCV hose leaking oil onto valve cover

Just as the title says, the end of my pcv hose (opposite side of where it attaches to my intake tube, thus, driveside closest to firewall on the valve cover) is leaking oil residue, which is noticeable on the valve cover itself. The PCV valve is held in by a clip which drops in to keep the "slotted" pcv hose from sliding back out.

This only started happening after the dealer replaced my valve cover due to "excessive heat causing warping" which caused oil consumption...

I know the easiest solution is to bring it back to the dealer (out of warranty now, but the part should be warranted for 1 or 2 yrs as I only got it done a few months ago). However, they're back in Boston, and I'm outside Hartford, so its about 100 miles trip. If theres an easy fix I could take care of before bringing it back that'd be preferred.

During the same service they replaced my sunroof seal but the sunroof rattled like a bish after i got it back. They told me to bring it back (again 100 miles each way), but instead I took a look and one of the torx bolts wasn't tightened. In fact, it was halfway out. lol Tightened it back down and voila, so sometimes its a simple easy fix that doesn't require the 40$ in gas to bring it back. Hoping this might be the same situation.

Anyone else experience this oil leaking? It didn't happen on my old valve cover as far as I ever noticed. The plastic was always dry and no residue from oil.

gvcmel 08-01-2011 08:29 AM

Check to see if the rubber oil seal rings are still there on the plastic part that plugs into the oil cover. Could be they were not replaced or misplaced when the cover was replaced.

countryboyshane 08-01-2011 09:38 AM

I have this problem too. Given it took a long time too see (47,000 miles), the oil particles eventually built up on my valve cover. I took mine to the dealer and they said some minor leakage was "normal".

It was worth a shot:sad:

gvcmel 08-01-2011 11:34 AM

I just replaced the valve cover gasket this weekend to see if I could stop the oil weeping out around the cover. I went about 40K miles without any leaks then it started. Its either the gasket material hardening due to the heat stress or the plastic might be warping. The construction of the valve cover is pretty good and it's well attached with lots of bolts so my vote goes for the rubber loosing its seal.

I'm also trying to find information about the valve imbedded in the cover that controls the positive pressure from the intake side. If that is failing then pressurizing the valve cover is a good way to force oil out.

Lets see what the next 1K miles brings.

SooperCuperErik 08-05-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by gvcmel (Post 3333728)
Check to see if the rubber oil seal rings are still there on the plastic part that plugs into the oil cover. Could be they were not replaced or misplaced when the cover was replaced.

Hmm, could you clarify/show photos?

All I have is the rubber PCV hose going from the intake into the valve cover. When I remove that plastic retaining clip, and pull out the pcv hose, theres a bunch of slots of formed rubber on the hose. Nothing else.. I guess I should look at the plastic retaining clip and see if there are "oil seal rings"?

Thanks.

gvcmel 08-07-2011 06:45 AM

Sounds like you are looking at the right part. The 'slots' should have had rubber o rings in them to seal the connection. The o-rings swell because of the oil and can be a pain to get squeezed back into the valve cover.

It's a loose fit into the valve cover with only the o-rings providing the seal. if you only have slots and it's leaking then someone forgot to replace the o-rings during the last service.

Tried to find an illustration of the o-rings online but no luck.

slinger688 08-07-2011 07:16 AM

SoopercuperErik,

I thought there is a dealer in Hartford, new country mini. They are pretty well known for poor service but if you just needed something under warranty, they perhaps could do something for you.

ShadyCoop 09-07-2015 07:43 PM

Hi everyone,
I hate to revive an old thread, but this is the only thread i could find. My mini is leaking in the exact place and im looking to find the "o-ring" that gvcmel suggested. I don't see one on my hose and if its needed than I will buy it. Does anyone know what it is, where it goes, and where to find it?

Thanks,
Tyler

Systemlord 09-09-2015 04:34 PM

I can tell you this, after some time under the very hot engine bay those rubber PCV hoses start to expand a little bit larger than the holes they plug into the valve cover, even after replacing my valve cover the hoses are still leaking oil at a very slow rate. I need to replace them soon.

ECS Tuning sells them.

ShadyCoop 09-09-2015 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Systemlord (Post 4122300)
I can tell you this, after some time under the very hot engine bay those rubber PCV hoses start to expand a little bit larger than the holes they plug into the valve cover, even after replacing my valve cover the hoses are still leaking oil at a very slow rate. I need to replace them soon.

ECS Tuning sells them.

I'm thinking if its less expensive I might just do that and see what happens. I mean I'm sure they need replacing anyways.

ShadyCoop 09-09-2015 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Systemlord (Post 4122300)

ECS Tuning sells them.

I just looked on ECS Tuning and it seems they only sell then along with the intake tube as well. I have a k&n typhoon so I don't need the stock intake....I just need the hose. Anywhere that sells the hose alone?

Systemlord 09-09-2015 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyCoop (Post 4122309)
I just looked on ECS Tuning and it seems they only sell then along with the intake tube as well. I have a k&n typhoon so I don't need the stock intake....I just need the hose. Anywhere that sells the hose alone?

I seriously doubt it because if one hose is bad than the other isn't to far behind, both my turbo inlet pipe and PCV hose are nearing replacement. This is how part manufacturers make money by forcing you to buy the whole kit and kaboodle.

ECSTuning 09-10-2015 10:05 AM

Two hoses , one part number on the N14 , 13717555784

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/13717555784/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.nor...801b89cba5.jpg

I believe on the N18 Cooper S intake then it went to a two part system that you could be that valve cover tube separate.