Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My Door Is Jammed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same problem with my passenger handle on my 05 Cooper S which has resulted in my GF climing in from the driver side. I lubed the handle with graphite powder and wd-40 and it seams to be working great since we have had more snow and cold weather this week.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
theresa83
1st Gear
is this something that is covered under warranty? i have an 02 so im out of luck either way. know the price of the parts by any chance?

Originally Posted by jedi327
Hey guys,

I live in NJ & have had this problem with my '04 MCS both this winter & the winter of 2005. Service techs continue refusing to address the issue, dismissing it as a normal reaction to the "inclement weather we're having." (Funny, I don't see any other vehicles in the same weather having this problem)

I found out today that this is a known issue with Minis manufactured before April 2004. The solution is to replace the original door handles with improved ones that prevent this issue from occurring. Part numbers are 51 21 7 147 503 (Left Outer Door Handle) and 51 21 7 147 504 (Right Outer Door Handle).

I called my service center and requested my handles be replaced with the above part numbers. The document can be found here (pdf):

http://motoringfile.com/files/freeze_out_fix.pdf

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Whats your 03's build date?
January 03.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
I too have had the same problem lately. Though it has only happened to the passenger side handle.

I have found that if you can get your fingers in there, that you can pull the handle in the opposite direction of the way you would to open the door and that will engage whatever is preventing you from opening your door. I do however, plan to call MCM and see what they can do about the door.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened twice to my 2006 MCSc so I don't think it's limited to the early MINIs.

Couldn't open the passenger's side when the temp was around zero. Drove around for a little while, then I was able to open the door. I'll try the door handle warming trick next time.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
theresa83
1st Gear
do you find that your hand freezes first before your car handle pops back out?? I haven't been able to endure the cold long enough to see this "magic" trick work.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 AM
theresa83
1st Gear
Originally Posted by orvillespooner
You describe the symptoms exactly. There is SOMETHING in that door handle, a pin or cog and it will stick when wet and frozen. If this happens and you try warming the handle you may heard an audible "click" when that thing releases. Then you can open the door. No amount of pushing the button will fix it. It acts just like the doors are locked with the lock button. In fact it must be part of the lock mechanism for it to behave in that fashon. Also Wal-Mart has a heater that plug into cigar lighter. It will unfreeze the window so you can lower it and then it will unfreeze the door handle. It is great in a pinch when you find yourself trapped. It's $14.99. I was stuck in MINI at a MacDonalds and I could get the window down, but not open doors. I did not want to crawl out window in public. That's when I discovered the answer. I carry that heater with me now.
do you happen to have the name of the maker or model of the heater? i've checked around at my local walmart and auto shops and no one carries it or are sold out. i'm hoping to order it online somewhere.

thanks

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
joe_r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orvillespooner
The problem is that the outer door handle is frozen internally. The button will push in and spring back ok but the door will not open right? What you have to do is warm the handle. No amount of heating the inside of the car will help. Take your bare hand and wrap it around the door handle and in about 30 - 60 seconds the door will open. Believe me this WORKS. This happens especially if you wash the car in freezing temps. But if you can open the window and warm the outer handle you can get out of the car this way. Also letting the sun warm the handle will work but may take 15 minutes. Chances are that your handle just warmed up naturally. I have tested my theory at -22 F.

I love you soo much!!!

I just went & washed my 04 Mini S & sure enuf the door opened for me but when I got home I was stuck inside the car.I had to crawl out thru the pass side.Came in the house did a search & found your post.Went outside with my wifes hair dryer & sure enuf click noise came from the door & door opens perfect again.WOOHOOOO!

joe r

Old 01-28-2008, 09:35 PM
RichardF
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, I was getting kinda ticked about the door freezing, and the wife not impressed with having to climb out the driver side. It has been -30c the last few days and the pass door would not open yesterday. I got it open after having it in the garage with heat inside the car. Problem came today the pass door would not open again. No big deal I could still get in and out. So I go to Home Depot and can not get out of the car. Once I got home I climbed out the window. Good thing I have a garage. had a blanket over the window and heat inside after an hour I got the driver door to work. Still the pass door not working. I should have read this earlier today.
I just went out and held the pass door handle for 20-30 secs. and TaDa the door opened.
I need to learn to read this site before wasting my time trying silly ideas.

Again Thanks to NAM.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
JILLJOHN
Neutral
My door handles froze as well. Seven months pregnant and couldn't get out of car. I had to have my husband pull me out of the driver's side window. This really should be a recall. In case of an emergency, there might not be time to heat up the door handle (which I will try next time). Dealership and Miniusa will do nothing about it even though I mentioned the TSB. Pretty scary...