Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain issues

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor has it there will be a new recall coming out soon for timing chain tensioners.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
urameatball
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Rumor has it there will be a new recall coming out soon for timing chain tensioners.
Here's hoping, but I doubt they'll have a recall until they find a long-term solution to the problem.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
blkkouki
4th Gear
i think the problem is that they are trying to put it on the owners. my mini SA told me that the only reason for the failure is people letting their oil get low. I didnt feel like argueing with him since I just turned mine in for this issue and trying to get it done as "good will "

Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Who did you hear the rumor from? We got MINIUSA to pay for half, but havent got time to bring it down to the dealers yet.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
cccplus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is currently a service campaign right now. they would check your vin# when you bring it in for the aux water pump recall.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Just had water pump recall done 2 months ago, would the have checked it then?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
well got a call from mini today. somehow i have been driving it with a broken timing guide and it jumped time. im not sure how bad its broke or even how it was running but my guess is that i have been driving it that way for atleast 6 months if not the entire time ive owned it since i got it pre owned. So now im just waiting on Mini to decide if they are going to cover it

Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Ween
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
there is currently a service campaign right now. they would check your vin# when you bring it in for the aux water pump recall.
Do you have any more specifics on this? I'm taking mine in on Tuesday for her 2-year check and the service person on the phone said there's nothing going on with timing chain service/recalls at this time.

Would like to have this taken care of in the Lower 48 before my MINI makes the move to Alaska...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ween
Do you have any more specifics on this? I'm taking mine in on Tuesday for her 2-year check and the service person on the phone said there's nothing going on with timing chain service/recalls at this time.

Would like to have this taken care of in the Lower 48 before my MINI makes the move to Alaska...
There is NO recall on the timing chain. If you are still under warranty and you take your car in AND they find you have the 'death rattle', they will fix it under a SERVICE ACTION. The only recall going on is for the aux. water pump relative to the turbo.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
sspreso11
2nd Gear
Did anyone else see the 'checking your oil' article in MC2 (http://www.mc2magazine.com) recently?

What it amounts to is that checking your oil 'incorrectly' can result in false readings. This is due to the design of the tube and the shape of the dip stick. From what I remember (read at dealership) you could be a quart + low, but the dip stick would still read full/over full.

Think about what this could mean to everyone trying to be proactive with the timing chain issues and checking/changing their oil but unknowingly be low.

Confirmed it was issue 36. Someone who has it could give more details. The instructions for correct checking where like 18 steps!
I'm going to ask the publisher about releasing just that article as PSA for owners.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
blkkouki
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sspreso11
Did anyone else see the 'checking your oil' article in MC2 (http://www.mc2magazine.com) recently?

What it amounts to is that checking your oil 'incorrectly' can result in false readings. This is due to the design of the tube and the shape of the dip stick. From what I remember (read at dealership) you could be a quart + low, but the dip stick would still read full/over full.

Think about what this could mean to everyone trying to be proactive with the timing chain issues and checking/changing their oil but unknowingly be low.

Confirmed it was issue 36. Someone who has it could give more details. The instructions for correct checking where like 18 steps!
I'm going to ask the publisher about releasing just that article as PSA for owners.
According to the people that right the mini service manual. You are supposed to get the car to normal optemps( drive for 6 miles) . Turn car off. let sit for 5mins on a flat surface. pull out dipstick wipe clean with lint free cloth. fully reinsert the dip stick . pull out and read

Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^That is the correct method for checking the dipstick, although I check mine like this I have also let it sit overnight and checked it. Guess what? I get the same reading.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 AM
blkkouki
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
^^^That is the correct method for checking the dipstick, although I check mine like this I have also let it sit overnight and checked it. Guess what? I get the same reading.
Thats odd I dont they are completley different readings.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blkkouki
Thats odd I dont they are completley different readings.
Don't know if it makes a diff. but what year is yours?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear

Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blkkouki
Is your reading at sitting overnight show more oil or less?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
alot less

Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cccplus
They didn't for me. Got my aux pump changed and my chain went south about two and a half weeks later.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
There is NO recall on the timing chain. If you are still under warranty and you take your car in AND they find you have the 'death rattle', they will fix it under a SERVICE ACTION. The only recall going on is for the aux. water pump relative to the turbo.
Doesn't answer my question. I've read several places about a service bulletin regarding the timing chain deal (including at least one thread where you chimed in about NO recall):
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uess-what.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...000-minis.html

So what's the deal? Why are people getting timing chains replaced when they haven't complained about the death rattle? Can someone with actual experience weigh in?

This is all I can find on it:
The service ticket says

Sim 17 02 12 Recall for aux water pump replacement

and

Sim 11 02 12 campaign to replace chain tensioner

Last edited by Ween; 04-19-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Doesn't answer my question. I've read several places about a service bulletin regarding the timing chain deal (including at least one thread where you chimed in about NO recall):

So what's the deal? Why are people getting timing chains replaced when they haven't complained about the death rattle? Can someone with actual experience weigh in?

Tech hears the rattle, checks the slack on the chain and replaces it when its out of spec.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
They didn't for me. Got my aux pump changed and my chain went south about two and a half weeks later.

Surprise, surprise. That is almost my same story.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear

Didn't notice your response to my response until today. I think the OP that stated his tech said there is a recall on the timing chain misunderstood the tech. The people that are still under warranty and DO get the death rattle the dealership (and this is totally up to the dealerships) will change it out because it is a known problem but there is NOT a recall on them.
If there were you would have received a letter stating so. Plus I'm sure you would have seen people posting that here.
Part of the problem is the tensioner bolt. It's too short and doesn't keep the chain in check. It can cause the chain, guide, etc. to fail if it gets too much slack. It has also been known to back out and if that happens you can dump most of your oil.
Another cause is people don't check their oil and if it gets really low, it can also attribute to the problem.
I was out of warranty and my car started making the loud rattle at 62K. When I brought it in my dealership said it'd be $1700 but since I was a good customer they'd submit $1200 to Mini as 'good' will if I'd pay the remaining $500. That was fair to me since I was out of warranty.
If there was a recall, I can assure you my dealership would have replaced the entire thing free if there were.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM
BRGMINICOOPER2007
Neutral
Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Misha747
Neutral
+1 2007 mcs

Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Jesperss
1st Gear