Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyStique sounded like a damned Disel

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD
+1 Timing chain was even stretched and it was days from breaking...
+1, MCS, 2008. Chain replaced March 2012.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Euseys
3rd Gear
Low oil?

Originally Posted by BlackMagicMini
+1 2009 MCS. I am worried my issue is coming back after about 16 months and 15000 miles since full timing chain job was done. When I start car, pull it out of the garage, turn it off for an hour or more, then restart it, I get a timing chain rattle. Doesn't happen with a normal start and drive away, only after a very brief start then sit. Anyone else have this issue?
My SA, who is amazing, suggests when the oil gets low, the tensioner unit is exposed, and it needs the oil to work properly...so he recommends adding oil to top off, use only the best gas (of course, and no costco gas) and keep the oil changes coming even more often than the onboard sensor computer suggests.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
+1 2008 MCSa 27500 miles Covered under warranty.

Had yellow engine light - no turbo power. At first they thought it was some emissions part but the light came back on a few weeks later then they replaced the tensioner and water temp sensor along with other bits. All works good now.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
twocute
2nd Gear
'08 Clubman S. 88,000 miles. Occasional rattle at startup. Took to dealer for recall and had them check chain/tensioner. 69 mm stretch. Quoted $2091.00 to fix. I raised hell because I have changed oil/filter every 5k since new. MINI offered to pay half if I could prove maintenance. I have bought every filter from the dealer under my name. They said yes, BUT, I didn't buy the oil from them... So, which dealers are quoting only $1700? Any experienced independent shops near Dayton/Cincinnati?
How urgent is it? Thoughts, anyone? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by twocute
'08 Clubman S. 88,000 miles. Occasional rattle at startup. Took to dealer for recall and had them check chain/tensioner. 69 mm stretch. Quoted $2091.00 to fix. I raised hell because I have changed oil/filter every 5k since new. MINI offered to pay half if I could prove maintenance. I have bought every filter from the dealer under my name. They said yes, BUT, I didn't buy the oil from them... So, which dealers are quoting only $1700? Any experienced independent shops near Dayton/Cincinnati?
I've only seen a couple of outragous quotes on the chain issue. Most are anywhere from $1200 to $1700. My dealership (Mini of Pensacola), sorry it's not near you charged me $500 and submitted $1200 to Mini USA as good will. It's all in the hands of the dealership which does suck. I was lucky. Since I've had my car (not bought from them) I've had them service it (other than oil changes). That probably helps a little but I just think it's the ethics of the dealership.
Sorry. Try another dealership if possible.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
Just had the chain tensor changed out last week at the dealer and the light ticking stopped for a few days I was driving home from work last night and I heard it again but only when I was touching the gas then again this morning, I called and they said to check the oil level? I was just in last week! I checked it its fine.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM
Jrpsaros
1st Gear
+1 here, My mini is at the dealer now, I've personally been in contact with mini usa, and am trying to get them and/or the dealer to cover the cost, I'm at 52,450. Any tips and advice?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dboard7
Just had the chain tensor changed out last week at the dealer and the light ticking stopped for a few days I was driving home from work last night and I heard it again but only when I was touching the gas then again this morning, I called and they said to check the oil level? I was just in last week! I checked it its fine.
My question is what part did they change. Only the tensioner bolt or the entire works, tensioner, pulley, seals, guide, chain, etc.

Since I've had mine done back in Dec. it's been quiet as hell. No problems what so ever. Total cost was $1700 but I was only charged $500.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
dboard7
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
My question is what part did they change. Only the tensioner bolt or the entire works, tensioner, pulley, seals, guide, chain, etc.
The paperwork says they replaced the tensioner, I'm going to go in the morning before work 2morrow and have them take a look at it they said it could be the chain itself or a cover a number of things so they will take a look at it, I need to get my last oil change before the warranty is up anyway I'm at 28k; my mini is growing up so fast lol

Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dboard7
The paperwork says they replaced the tensioner, I'm going to go in the morning before work 2morrow and have them take a look at it they said it could be the chain itself or a cover a number of things so they will take a look at it, I need to get my last oil change before the warranty is up anyway I'm at 28k; my mini is growing up so fast lol
Just an FYI, and I'm no mechanic just going to repeat what my SA and MA said. They will NOT just change out a piece of the timing chain problem since the miles have already taken their toll on the parts. They have not had a job come back to them since they started replacing them.
My understanding is the actual tensioner bolt was too short and was not adjusting the chain properly. Just changing the tensioner bolt out is not solving the other issues the orig. one caused.
Just my two cents.
Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Just an FYI, and I'm no mechanic just going to repeat what my SA and MA said. They will NOT just change out a piece of the timing chain problem since the miles have already taken their toll on the parts. They have not had a job come back to them since they started replacing them.
My understanding is the actual tensioner bolt was too short and was not adjusting the chain properly. Just changing the tensioner bolt out is not solving the other issues the orig. one caused.
Just my two cents.
Good luck.
According to the service bulletin, the chain has to be stretched passed a certain point in order to get the whole shebang replaced. If just stretched a little, they throw in a new tensioner. Sounds like your dealer goes above and beyond.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be nice to see a current version of the service bulletin (since they came out with the new part last fall) to see if they still have two options on the fix based on the chain measurement.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Muzak - that they do. Ever since I've used them they have been great in all respects. I only wish all dealerships had their ethics.
I even have them install my after market items and they have been very good to me on that as well.
Don't know what I'd do if I had a cruddy dealership like some folks have commented.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Andy79
1st Gear
2009 MCSa +1 Timing belt completely stretched on freeway cause oil leak. Dealer replaced whole assembly blow off valves, turbo oil etc. It runs good now.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
+1 2007 MCS

Recently had work done at independent shop, due to rattle was extremely loud and closest mini dealer is 3+ hours away.

On a side note; now i no longer have the performance. Any body out there experiencing or have experienced the same and what was done to fix it.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ITMVSME
+1 2007 MCS

Recently had work done at independent shop, due to rattle was extremely loud and closest mini dealer is 3+ hours away.

On a side note; now i no longer have the performance. Any body out there experiencing or have experienced the same and what was done to fix it.
Had mine done back in Dec. and has been running perfect ever since. I have seen a couple of people post similar issues after the fix.
They didn't do any reprogramming of your ECU while it was in the shop did they?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure about this ""BUT""

After they did my timing chain and recall the dealer put in the latest program into my computer. My car has more snap and seems to run much better.

I'm wondering if using the shop and not the dealer that losing power has something to do with your programming.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Thanks to both ronnie948 and drsimmons for quick reply's. I am not sure if the did any reprogramming of the ECU or not; suppose I can call them Monday and find out. They are not really a MINI shop but specialize in European motors, do I lot of work on BMW's. That is the main reason I used them. So maybe all I need is some programming done to it.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM
lbaeqa
Neutral
+1

2009 Cooper S hardtop, at ~28,000 mi, timing chain and a bent rocker arm had to be replaced.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ITMVSME
Thanks to both ronnie948 and drsimmons for quick reply's. I am not sure if the did any reprogramming of the ECU or not; suppose I can call them Monday and find out. They are not really a MINI shop but specialize in European motors, do I lot of work on BMW's. That is the main reason I used them. So maybe all I need is some programming done to it.
If they reprogrammed the ECU I'd think it'd say on the invoice.
Ronnie948 may be able to confirm that. Looked at my invoice
from timing chain fix and it doesn't show anything any programming.
It could be something as simple as a hose leaking air or an electrical
connection that's not solid.
Seems whenever someone tears into their motor (modding or whatever), many times they have CEL's or rough running issues.
Remember one guy merely had a downpipe hose off. Once hooked back up it was fine. So, point is, it's proabably something simple.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Should have been reprogrammed?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
muzak
4th Gear
I seriously doubt an indy shop would be in your ECU, nor did they need to be. Something was probably not connected right during reassembly/diagnosing, as stated above by Dr. Simmons.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
ITMVSME
3rd Gear
Yeap called them today. They didn't touch ECU. Will take it back to them and have them take another look. I've been all over the engine compartment, and did not find anything that seemed out of place to me.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Spectral G
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by twocute
That's crazy. I was able to ask two separate dealers, one in Allentown, PA, who quoted me $1800 and one in Ramsey, Jersey, that quoted me $1350 and also got Mini/BMW to reimburse my $540 2 hour towing bill. Now, you might try contacting Mini...I did through the Miniusa website. I emailed them under contact and faq section, under "general customer service." A rep from BMW did call me back within two days. Trouble was, I had already authorized the Jersey dealer to make the repairs at a cheaper price than Allentown so they didn't cut anymore off the price. In your case, they may work with your dealer to lower some of that crazy price and also ignore that lame oil excuse they're giving you. Might be worth a shot anyway.

Anyway, it's been two weeks since I had mine fixed and, knock on wood, so far so good. They changed the whole shebang on mine: two bearing bolts, gasket ring, two torx bolts, hex bolt, guide rail, tensioner, sprocket, chain, slide rail. My chain measured 70mm and the intake cam had jumped 1 tooth. Luckily, I just avoided valve damage. I have an '07 with close to 53,000 on the car. It is very serious and the more you wait to get it fixed, the more you're gambling with damaging the motor.

Car is so much quieter now, like the day I bought it. It's amazing how used to a noisy engine I had become.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM
blkkouki
4th Gear
well mine is in the shop now, hoping mini will pay. dropped off today guess ill find out tomorrow

2008 mcs 35k warranty ended 2/29/2012

Quick Reply: Timing chain issues