Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch Groan: How to talk with dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
itsfun_gis
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Groan: How to talk with dealer?

Hey all,

I have had my 2008 MCS with 47k miles for about a year now and am getting fed up with warranty work. I've had the sunroof frame replaced (after 2 dealer visits), timing chain replaced (after 3 visits) and now my clutch is groaning and the flywheel is rattling on take off. I went to MINI of Alexandria and was told I would be liable for the cost of repair because the clutch isn't covered under the 50k warranty (only under maintenance plan). I then took my Mini to MINI of Sterling and am being told I will be liable for repair if they can't find a "warrantable defect". I'm very afraid of agreeing to these terms.

The clutch had already been replaced by the previous owner at 15k miles by MINI of Sterling for slipping issues. That means my clutch only has 30k miles of use. I drive about 80% highway to and from work. In my mind there is no way I "abused" the clutch to the point of failure in 30k miles. Besides the groan the engagement feels fine and the clutch is not slipping. I understand this is a well documented issue. So my question is what argument do I use to convince the dealership to replace your clutch under warranty?

Why are they making me liable for inspection of the clutch? To fix the timing chain, I didn't agree beforehand to the cost of inspection to test tension... I just don't get it.

Thanks for any help as this issue is very stressful and I just want it to be over. I'm tired of trying to convince dealers my car has warrantable well documented issues. It's exhausting... Once my warranty is over I really need to think about keeping or selling. Is my warranty experience indicative of the post-warranty experience? Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM
ongnoi
1st Gear

Last edited by ongnoi; 07-18-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mini of alexandria is a great dealer, You sure its not the throw out bearing? do you have the logs of what was done when the clutch was replaced? did they change the throwout bearing? does the sound go away if you depress the clutch and press the clutch in neutral with the engine running? If the actualy flywheel is rattling from being loose thats def covered by the people whom last worked on it but you would most likely have a major vibration.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
itsfun_gis
Neutral
There is a light knocking sound on start up that goes away when I press the clutch pedal. I told MINI of Sterling this and the service guy said it's probably the throw-out bearing. I believe it was replaced the last time.

When I first purchased the car from the previous owner there was a slight rattle when taking off slowly in first gear. I never liked the sound but thought it was normal. About 8k miles ago the clutch pedal started squeaking when I would press it down. About 5k miles ago the clutch started to groan when I depressed the lever on 1st gear take off.

I never ride the clutch and rev-match on downshifts. I'm very easy on my clutch and always worry that I am going to cook it when I'm in traffic. But everything I think is wrong with the clutch is speculation until a mechanic looks at it. Yet MINI of Sterling apparently can't diagnose the problem without taking the clutch apart, and they want me to be liable for these costs? How am I to know that even if the damage is warrantable, they wont try to turn it around on me. Once I agree to being liable for repairs, I am easy bait. If I were going to fix the clutch myself I would buy an aftermarket clutch and have a local shop do the work. I don't want to be stuck with a dealership repair at a cost of $2500.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like a throw out bearing, ive changed quite a few myself. It looks like you have to find out whether the bearing is covered or not