Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil leak from oil cooler gaskets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak from oil cooler gaskets.

Hey guys. I just bought this r53 MCS yesterday and the two oil cooler gaskets were replaced since a leak occurred. Now today I go out to the parking lot and backup to check for any leaks etc. And there is a little puddle of oil coming from the oil coolers spot. Now correct me if I am wrong but is this the two square type gaskets that seal the lines to the cooler? I am quite upset since I was told this was fixed. I know its not difficult to fix but wtf. The A-arm is soaked with oil from the previous leak so I can't tell if it is fresh or not. Yesterday when I purchased it there were no leaks whatsoever. What am I to do?

Assistance would be much appreciated.

Also what sites do I use to order OEM parts from?

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Can someone help me? Am I safe to drive as long as I maintain the current oil level? I just need to know which gaskets to order. Well tomorrow I will pop off the passenger wheel and check out the oil cooler since that's probably what's causing this mayhem. Its quite a bit of oil to be honest maybe two table spoons worth.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM
MCSfanboy
4th Gear
I can't help with mechanical advice, but here's a link to MINI parts:
http://www.allminiparts.com/products...117551091.html

Try searching the forum some more. Surely someone has run across this and posted some advice.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think if you are vigulent & really keep an eye on the oil level it will be safe to drive. Provided the oil pressure warning light is not on.

I would go to a coin op car wash & spray the area below the cooler to clean that old oil out of there. Be careful where you aim that water, it is high pressure & can harm things.

If you are not comfortable doing the clean up yourself go back to the dealer & have them check for leaks & clean it up.

My best guess is that it is residual oil leaking from the previous oil leak.

Good luck & welcome to NAM.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Ok so today I removed the oil cooler from the heatexchanger (my best guess).

i thought oil was leaking from the two oblong gaskets on the flat side of the cooler. I was mistaken. I think its leaking from the oil filter housing. So I bought a new filter and gasket that came with the filter. I am hoping its just a snagged gasket and I can replace filter and gasket (internals). I am really starting to dislike Bavarian engineering by the way. Why is it so difficult to get a 36mm socket on the filter housing. Oh and of course no one in town has an adapter to remove the filter itself. I lined the two gaskets with rtv face down and stuck them in there. Tomorrow is part two and if this filter doesn't fix the problem I am just going to buy some UV sensitive dye to add in the oil to find the source of the leak. Quite frustrating. Too me it looks like oil is dripping from the filter housing onto the cooler underneath it. Anyone had this problem before? Please let me know your experiences before I delve into a whole new world of hurt replacing this and that gasket.

thanks.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:51 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It is not uncommon that an installer will pinch the oil filter canister o-ring during installation and cause an oil leak.

A few suggestions that helps make the oil filter install a little easier.
- Buy or make a short 36mm socket to fit the oil filter canister. I just cut down a cheap 36 mm socket. Many vendors sell a short 36mm socket.
- When installing the filter element, I take the new filter element and push it onto the filter adapter at the engine block to enlarge the hole in the filter element (pre-fit the filter). Then I remove the filter element from the adapter.
- I then push the filter all the way into the canister and make sure it is all the way on. It takes a little force.
- Then I install the canister with filter element onto the adapter (at the engine block).
The pre-fit (hole enlargement) makes it easier to start the canister threads and thus helps not mess up the o-ring that is properly seated in the canister groove.

If you do not pre-fit the filter element to enlarge the hole, it can be a real pain to get the canister threads started.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Ok well it is now snowing here so it doesn't make it easy to check lvls dipstick/ground. I am leaking a little amount now. Ill update as soon as I make for certain and get it up on the lift at the hobby shop.