Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ok, I just wanted to make sure my pump wasn't swapped out without my knowledge, i.e. taken from an R50 etc, as I've never had any service on the pump and expect that it's the original one that came with my car since I'm the original owner of my car.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by a2coopers
I didn't change the pump, I had them do the two hoses intake and return lines, and after the mechanic cleaned it after road test there was no immediate leak from the pump so I'm monitoring it I believe the majority of the leak was coming from the hoses because I was driving with a oil covered pump for over a couple of years and thought nothing of it since it was not leaving any pools on the ground and was not failing. At least for now I saved the $1450 on new pump, but still cost me under $1000 for the hoses and also was in for the annual oil change. I don't drive the car on a daily basis so to me it was not worth changing the pump at this time since it still works.

Thanks
It's been a few months now, what happened with the leak? did replacing just the hoses fix it?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
still dry not leaking at all works just fine

Hi,

The hoses were all that were required, there may have been minor stains around where the mechanic was pointing to but it is not leaking or losing power steering fluid at all. I check it from time to time and it is still dry around the big circular clamp on the plastic housing.

Thanks for asking

The following users liked this post:
mdurando (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM
mdurando
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi,

The hoses were all that were required, there may have been minor stains around where the mechanic was pointing to but it is not leaking or losing power steering fluid at all. I check it from time to time and it is still dry around the big circular clamp on the plastic housing.

Thanks for asking
just to make sure, were these the hoses you replaced?
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...ose?s=d&page=1

not this high pressure assembly:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...bly?s=d&page=1

Old 05-05-2018, 11:36 AM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
hoses

They were the ones that lead into the pump from the reservoir

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1267

#1, and #11

11Return pipe13241678174401Intake manifold132416754498

Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 PM
kootenaygriff
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Failure mini cooper S 2005

Originally Posted by shijinmini
I had my power steering go out just a week or so ago. I'd parked it in a garage and when I went to leave, no ps. I drove for awhile (had to) and then stopped at a service area on the NJ Turnpike. When I came back out and started it up, it was fine again. No issues since, but then all this in the news. I was going to have my mechanic look at it when I took it in to get the brakes done soon. Guess I'll call the number posted above and report it.

My Mini Cooper S 2005 recently starting to have power steering problems. After driving for a period of time suddenly the power steering would fail and it would be "strong arm" steering. When the vehicle was turned off and then on again the power steering was back ( at least for a little while). I checked the fluid level ( no problem), I checked the fan ( no problem). I did a scan ( I have an Autel scanner), and it showed the 5529 code for the EHPS module, this apparently means " open or short circuit for the control circuit". So I detached the control circuit connector for the power steering pump ( this is the wire connector with the two small gage wires) that can be detached without even removing the fan ( although easier if you do). The connector was cleaned with connector cleaner and the filled with dielectric grease and reconnected. Interesting the locking mechanism for this connector is lousy........but a zip tie worked well so the connector is now together and solid.

Well at least for me the above fix worked and I have had no further problems. I do wonder if the connector is just in a lousy location and subject to aging. John

MiniTigger (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
PS fan trigger ?

Hi,

I read in another thread that the PS fan only triggers when the radiator fan triggers on high speed stage 2, not when the AC is on and radiator fan is on low speed? someone said the PS fan is hard wired to run with the stage 2 radiator fan in high speed? I tried to test by turning on AC and did not see the PS fan spin, it is also the second PS fan on the car replaced under warranty years ago can't remember when exactly and I am also on my 2nd radiator fan which was replaced a couple years ago due to low speed resistor blown.

Thanks

MiniTigger (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Hi,

I read in another thread that the PS fan only triggers when the radiator fan triggers on high speed stage 2, not when the AC is on and radiator fan is on low speed? someone said the PS fan is hard wired to run with the stage 2 radiator fan in high speed? I tried to test by turning on AC and did not see the PS fan spin, it is also the second PS fan on the car replaced under warranty years ago can't remember when exactly and I am also on my 2nd radiator fan which was replaced a couple years ago due to low speed resistor blown.

Thanks
For manual climate control, it only switches on when the radiator fan is on low, and ONLY if the DME deems it necessary to switch on. It make sense as traveling at high speed there is no need nor desirable for the fan to be running against much stronger air stream.

I only check the wiring diagram of late model R53 manual climate control. Auto climate control may be a bit different.

MiniTigger (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM
a2coopers
2nd Gear
solved PS Fan does trigger with AC on

Hi, I did more research and came across another forum that suggested to check fuses, and I have found a blown fuse F41 as described here, when I changed the fuse and put in the new one, put the AC on and my PS fan turned on at the same time with stage 1 fan for radiator as well. I am suspicious of the dealer removing this fuse or not checking it when I had changed my ps pump hoses for leaking

http://www.psmini.org/forum/power-st...topic6701.html

Try checking fuse F05 and F08 in the fuse module next to the ECU. Also, fuse f 39 and f 41 in the kick panel.
There is also a power steering pump relay (k69923) in the kick panel.

This saved me a lot of grief. My PSF is working well and no noise at all.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:22 PM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump replaced. Next day issue with P/S

Is it time to get another car? I just had the Water Pump replaced (cost $878) and Check Engine Light still on. NEXT DAY, driving my Super S mini 2007 hatchback out of garage the power steering went out. VERY difficult to turn the wheel. Is this related to the fixing of the Water Pump? Happens when the car is cold, overnight in the garage). Had repeatable problem for two days then today no problem. Also noticed that following on the heels of this problem is a problem with a LOCKED steering wheel. This just started happening today. It does unlock but not before the icon for locked steering comes on. Total miles 150K. I'm getting the feeling that I should let this Mini just die. Sad!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you are up against the argument between reliability and sentimentality. If this is your only means of transportation and you count on it to get to work, etc., you may be up against the reliability side of the equation. I have a 2002 MINI and as much as I like it, if I didn't have another means to get somewhere if I had to, I'd probably put it up for sale. You can rationalize some repairs, especially if you can do them yourself, as being close to/less than a car payment. But if you can't work on it yourself, and don't have a super mechanic who can fix what ails you, you probably need to find a more reliable set of wheels. 150K is not a bad number. But they are pricey to work on and with that many miles, there's no end to the things that will continue to dog you. I keep finding a puddle of coolant under my R53 - suspect it's something to do with the pressure cap. Old cars need drip pans...

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 AM
miniMooji
2nd Gear
Thank you Edgy, My sentiment completely. Trying one last effort to fix with my worthy mechanic. I will get a better idea after I see him, as to whether this is a continuing domino (one thing after the other) story. Sad, but might have to let it go...

Old 08-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Andy_S
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
I have a 2005 R52 S that is included in my recall when I run my VIN. It has about 75000 miles on it.

My pump ran continuously after shutoff last night. It happened when we were at a friend's house, and drained the battery in the driveway. After a jump start, we drove home, and the pump was still running 20 minutes after shutoff so I pulled the negative battery terminal.

I've made an appointment for next Tuesday to have the open recall done. Nearest dealer is Orman Park outside Chicago, over 2.5 miles away.

Meanwhile:

When the pump was running, the PS fan was not. However, the car was off, so maybe normal. The PS fan does spin fairly freely by hand and when I apply 12 V directly.
I need to verify that my main low speed fan operates properly. If that is the root cause, will they replace the main fan or resistor as part of this recall, or should I do that this weekend?
Should I pull the power steering fuse to drive 150 miles for the recall, or let it run?

I do have a local BMW dealership. Do you think if I contact MINI I can get the job done there and avoid the hassle of two five hour round trip drives?

Also, somewhere along the line I got a code P1692. I'm hoping that was a fluke from the temporary very low battery voltage. I successfully cleared it.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
100% has to be at a MINI dealership for the recall to be done. Get it done there first. They will replace it if its before the production date(on pump) or the issue., then afterward you can see it the fan is still an issue. PS fan comes on with the a/c or long drives on hot days with the PS working. Test it wth the a/c test. Give it a minute and look and hear on the underside.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-06-2019, 03:35 PM
edgy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain. I live 280 miles from the nearest MINI dealership and as I own a 2002 MCS, if it needs parts and trained technicians, I'm not in a very good place. As our other car is a 2008 MINI Clubman, I'm fast approaching the point where it no longer makes sense. The good news is after the power steering pump repairs, I haven't had any more problems - at least with the steering!

Old 08-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Andy_S
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, they're going to give me a free loaner, and it will be a few days because they can't order the pump until they confirm it needs replacing.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:04 AM
CHRIS MARSHALL-DOWE
Neutral
Thanks fellas. Checked my fuse 41 and replaced. Hoping for the best now.