Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Finally! Hesitation and rough cold start fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Slapshottr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of good info here. I would agree with the turn key on and wait a while it seems to start and stay running when I do this. In cold weather this doesn't help and I think there is something to the fuel rail psi bleeding off comments that were made here. What would cause a fuel rail to lose psi. I did change the fuel filter over the summer and it looked original. No change in symptoms but I did feel good about doing it. I do not have any service engine soon lights and did not check codes. Im sure there are lots of misfire codes because it ran like a bad lawnmower. I did a major project in Nov changing the Supercharger oil and since the MAF sensor was off I cleaned it. The rough running at start is all driven by temp. Below 32 degrees this happens. It seem to be fuel related. Sounds like an engine starved of fuel. I am getting ready to do front and rear struts and will have to wait until after the New Year to dive into this problem. Good news is temps are suppose to stay above normal here in NJ for the next few days.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
I'd imagine it would be one of the seals in the one way valves of the fuel system (FPR, any one way valve in the fuel tank) allowing the fuel in the line to bleed back into the tank. I would instinctively say its the FPR, but I don't know what other valves are in the fuel pump section, or the fuel filter part.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:39 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
I have this issue that is resolved 95% of the time with turning the key on and waiting. I changed the fuel pump because my fuel pressure was not holding after turning key off. I didn’t check fuel pressure after changing pump so I’m not sure it isn’t still bleeding off. I changed the fuel filter also. There are valves on the passenger side unit. I believe the fuel pump pushes fuel over to the passenger side unit and then to the injectors after the fuel is filtered. In my case the issue is probably on the passenger side. I will check fuel rail pressure and report back.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Andrew Lung
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thecanuck
My MCS has about 111K on it, and it has had two problems for awhile.

1. Rough idle on cold start. Only happens if the car was sitting overnight. After about 10 seconds it would smooth out perfectly.

2. I have always felt low RPM hesitation, especially with A/C on. I know it is supposed to be a bit hard to accelerate from idle with A/C on, but mine was unacceptable.

After replacing the BPV (did wonders for higher end power), fuel filter, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, PCV valve, and a bunch of other small stuff, I STILL had both of the above problems. I even did the seafoam treatment several times to no avail. My car did run better after all of this, but didn't repair those lingering problems.

I then heard about this carbon buildup cleaner called BG 44K. Found some on ebay for $12 and said what the hell I will try it. Everyone was talking about how great it was on all sorts of car forums, from mercedes, to bmws, to hondas, to mustangs.

After using it for 1 tank, I can confidently say that BOTH my problems have disappeared completely!!!! I have consistent smooth cold starts, and very little hesitation on the low rpm end, even with A/C on.

For anyone else experiencing these problems, go try some. I wish I would have tried this before replacing all those parts. Although the DT BPV is pretty sweet.
hi saw your suggestion to use the BG 44k , i found 2 product here. Would you mind to advise which one did you use to clear the 2 issue ? I have attached here the picture of the BG 44K i found here. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:20 AM
mike333h
Neutral
I am having this same issue. and everything that I am fining, is pointing to the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump), that is attached to the motor that is driven by the cam.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:46 PM
cpayne
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone ever find a fix for this? My 2005 R53 on 1st start of the day, especially when cold outside, runs very rough for about 20 seconds. Once it gets past this rough phase it runs perfectly fine!

Going to try BG 44K to see if that helps? But have yet to see anyone with a definitive fix?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2021, 02:30 PM
deepgrey
5th Gear
Received 339 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by mike333h
I am having this same issue. and everything that I am fining, is pointing to the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump), that is attached to the motor that is driven by the cam.
I don't have an answer to the original issue, but the R53 doesn't have a fuel pump on the motor.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:02 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by deepgrey
I don't have an answer to the original issue, but the R53 doesn't have a fuel pump on the motor.
You want to hookup inpa an monitor you O2 sensor at start. Then once it warns up. Watch you pre an post lamba sensors. They should match up pretty close. Then look at them on the voltage side. Pre O2 sensor should have numbers going from .1 to .9 an all in between. The pre sensor should stay pretty steady at idle. At around .5v. It will go down from .1 up to .8 depending on engine demand. But it will not be eratic like the pre sensor. This should give you a good idea what going on. I discovered my cat was bad by doing this. Plus my mileage was way off.
You can also try cleaning you map an maf sensor with the appropriate cleaner.
A third thing you can look at is the throttle body. They are known for gunking up an causing the throttle body to stick.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by cpayne
Did anyone ever find a fix for this? My 2005 R53 on 1st start of the day, especially when cold outside, runs very rough for about 20 seconds. Once it gets past this rough phase it runs perfectly fine!

Going to try BG 44K to see if that helps? But have yet to see anyone with a definitive fix?

Thanks!

this could be a number of things. Best to pull codes

Old 01-08-2022, 06:12 AM
Norbert77
1st Gear
Old thread rehash, the one thing not many commented on but I saw with bad fuel years ago, is the injectors leaking down. If one or two injectors leak down,
it will either flood the cylinder or wash down the oil and you lose compression. The injectors would still work fine,
It is a very slow leak, few hours, maybe overnight

Old 04-05-2024, 02:26 PM
RetchedMINIcoup10
Neutral
Originally Posted by thecanuck
My MCS has about 111K on it, and it has had two problems for awhile.

1. Rough idle on cold start. Only happens if the car was sitting overnight. After about 10 seconds it would smooth out perfectly.

2. I have always felt low RPM hesitation, especially with A/C on. I know it is supposed to be a bit hard to accelerate from idle with A/C on, but mine was unacceptable.

After replacing the BPV (did wonders for higher end power), fuel filter, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, PCV valve, and a bunch of other small stuff, I STILL had both of the above problems. I even did the seafoam treatment several times to no avail. My car did run better after all of this, but didn't repair those lingering problems.

I then heard about this carbon buildup cleaner called BG 44K. Found some on ebay for $12 and said what the hell I will try it. Everyone was talking about how great it was on all sorts of car forums, from mercedes, to bmws, to hondas, to mustangs.

After using it for 1 tank, I can confidently say that BOTH my problems have disappeared completely!!!! I have consistent smooth cold starts, and very little hesitation on the low rpm end, even with A/C on.

For anyone else experiencing these problems, go try some. I wish I would have tried this before replacing all those parts. Although the DT BPV is pretty sweet.

If these issues go untreated. Will it just stop firing altogether? I have these 2 issues. Ive changed coils spark plugs fuel filter but The car just turns over now. Doesnt run.